TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > Non-Tap Technical

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 23rd, 2005, 04:54 AM

Default Mozilla and Earthlink Live Chat

I am using Mozilla, and I have Earthlink as my ISP (dial up, not cable or DSL). One of Earthlink's help options is live chat. The way it is supposed to work is that a window opens up with two boxes. The top box is the "conversation" and contains a message saying "my name is xxx, how may I help you".

I type my question/problem in the bottom box and click the send button. After a few seconds, what I typed appears in the top window.

Then the person on the other end is supposed to respond. But that never happens.

What happens is one of two things: after typing my question, instead of it appearing in the top window, a line appears in the top window saying "you are not in a live chat session". Or, I wait and wait and there is no answer from the other person, so I type another question, and then either get the "not a chat session" message or some message about the network connection not working.

I called on the phone and the person suggested a few things. One was that the connection had been broken, but I know that's not it because I can go on using the internet, so I am obviously still connected.

Another was that my anti virus software was interfering, which could be possible, but I am pretty sure I tried this once before installing the anti virus software.

Another was conflict with a firewall, but I am not using a firewall.

Yet another was something in my Mozilla settings. This is a possibility, so my question is whether anyone knows what setting(s) might be causing the problem.

The final suggestion was to try Internet Explorer next time and see if that works. And when I want to use the live chat again, I'll try that, but I would hate to think the feature requires IE!