TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > Non-Tap Technical

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:13 PM

Question POP e-mail--arrghhh!

Hi--

Well, I managed to do a lot of hand editing and used davidh's ideas about spreadsheets and got a workable mail list imported into Evolution. I even see how I can use the same trick to import it into Thunderbird.

Now, I can't get either one to connect to CIS to collect my e-mail.

Or rather, I can't get Evo to do so, although it does work OK with ComCast. Thunderbird made one run to CIS, collected the e-mail, and now refuses to do it again.

Evo reports: "Failed to read a valid greeting from POP server pop.compuserve.com". This was after it sat there "waiting" for CIS probably over a minute.

What seems a big clue to me: neither program is asking for my CIS password, even tho both do for ComCast.

The changes I made in Thunderbird's set up, as far as I remember, related to unchecking "check my e-mail every 10 minutes," and telling it to leave the mail on the server for now. Those should not have stopped it working. I have tried about every security radio box it offers and no go.

Let me tell you what I have for Evo; maybe that will give us some clues (I am cutting and pasting, in case there is a typo someone else sees):

Quote:
Account name: 76066.515@CompuServe.com
full name: doug
e-mail address: 76066.515@CompuServe.com
rely to: 76066.515@CompuServe.com
Org: [blank]
Sig: None

Server type: POP
Server: pop.compuserve.com
Username: 76066.515
Security: no encryption
Authentication type: password

Receiving options: only leave messages on server is checked

Sending Server type: SMTP
Server: smtp.compuserve.com
Security: TLS
Authentication: Plain
Username: 76066.515
So what am I missing?

BTW, I did check on CIS's site for instructions for setting up my e-mail client, and so help me, they really have it buried--could not find it at all.

In fact, I could not figure out how to login where it asks for my screen name and password. Right after that I did access my POP3 CIS account from both Yahoo and mail2web, so I think that says I have the right passwords and usernames--but no success on the CIS site. Weird!

Thanks for any help you can give me!