TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > Non-Tap Technical

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:46 PM

Default "safe" (RSS) news feeds

FWIW

As an exercise in feasibility, I tried to see whether it was possible to set up a news feed (RSS) without installing an actual (RSS) news reader program *and* also to avoid having to use javascript in the news feed.

I used http://blogsearch.google.com to "find" the feeds and http://my.yahoo.com to set up the feed reader. Turned out to be fairly easy to do. I tested the end result with my LYNX browser, just to make sure that absolutely no scripting was needed in the browser. (However SSL encryption is apparently needed to login to Yahoo, but that is nothing out of the ordinary.)

Since blogging and instant mesaging (and voice chat) are becoming increasingly popular, it's likely that these types of software will come under increasing attack from malware and hackers. So I thought it would be a useful test to see if RSS news reading could easily be done without installing additional specialized software and without using scripting in the browser, which, of course, is relatively insecure compared to pure HTML.

Maybe I've done this before and forgotten about it and this is just a "senior moment", but I hope this may be of some practical use to someone.

David H.

P.S. Of course there may be some privacy concerns in using yahoo and google or any other web portals and search engines, but as far as actual damage to one's data on one's personal computer, this approach to reading of RSS news feeds should be quite safe, at least compared to installing specialized software for the purpose.