TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > The TapRoom

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 21st, 2005, 05:17 PM
Enforcer

Default Dover Decision

I'm probably preaching to the majority of the choir around here (a choir with which I disagree about nearly everything else) in concluding that Judge Jones' decision in the Dover "intelligent design" case was right.

What troubles me, though, is the number of Americans who disagree. It was either Charles Krauthammer or Lance Morrow--Google is unhelpful--who coined the phrase, "a whiff of the Taliban" in reference to American Protestant fundamentalists. That was at least 10 years ago. Things have gotten worse since.

My own sense is that the NEA, with its abhorrence of any kind of intellectual effort, either in teacher training or in the demands made on students in the schools, is sending American elementary and secondary education into the toilet. American universities, with affirmative-action preferences and "diversity" mantras are continuing that kind of idiocy on the college level.

Without any training in substantive intellectual analysis, American schoolchildren are suckers for our own Taliban.

And we have nobody to blame for this but ourselves.