TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > The TapRoom

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:05 PM

Default RSS aggregators (news readers) & OLRability?

I just tried putting a blog on Yahoo! 360. Not that it's a matter of interest in and of itself. However, I noticed that when I read it in the reader that I currently have installed, namely eRSS, the full text of each post appeared in the text reading window pane WITHOUT ADS. However, when I clicked the eRSS "Read more" link the full Yahoo page WITH ADS did appear. I took a quick look at the HTML and there appeared to be some tags in it that would allow a reader to isolate the actual text of the blog from the extraneous ads and other items that appear on the full view of the blog on Yahoo when reading with a browser alone instead of a RSS reader.

I don't know if other (non-browser based) RSS readers would behave the same and easily allow cutting out the ads. But this seems like a nice feature. I wonder if the Yahoo beta will continue with this feature. Perhaps it would not affect their ad revenues much since they probably expect that most people will read the blogs using a standard browser and the news aggregators built into the my.yahoo.com web server pages.

Seems like such an ability to sift out the extra stuff would make it possible to implement an OLR type capability in some news readers (RSS). Unfortunately it seem rather hard to find out what are the features of many such readers when searching in cnet.com, tucows.com, wikipedia, etc. Perhaps such features already exist. I wonder if anybody here knows of such RSS accumulators. I.e. that could manipulate downloaded (non-junked-up) messages from compatible RSS feeds in a message base?

David H.