TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > The TapRoom

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 20th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Chief Cook & BottleWasher

Default A dog for Jamie

The stories of personal tragedy out of Iraq are so common that I'm almost numb these days... almost, but not quite. And this one, well, it got to me. And we can help.

She was 26 years old when she arrived in Iraq, an Air Force military police officer who had trained for three years. Three weeks later, she was fighting for her life: "bleeding internally, her lungs collapsed, her spine fractured, her pelvis broken", according to the Washington Post.

And all she wanted to know -- not "how am I", not "will I live" -- was "where's my dog?"

AF Tech Sgt. Jamie Dana was a canine handler, and her dog and three-year partner Rex had been with her when the roadside bomb went off under her Humvee.

Jamie was initially told that Rex had died. He didn't. And now she wants to adopt him, to have him as her dog. But it will take an act of Congress to make it happen because, technically, Rex is still a WMD (working military dog). There's growing support for it both in the military and in Congress, but it sure wouldn't hurt for a few of us to drop notes to our own congresscritters in support of Jamie and Rex. There's a list of Congressional email addresses here.

What Jamie and Rex need is an exemption from 10 USC 2583. A quick note that says you've read about Jamie's problem (you can cite to this message or to the Washington Post article) and that you support giving her an exemption under 10 USC 2583 so she can adopt Rex is all you need to do... and it may be all she and Rex need.