TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > The TapRoom

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 10th, 2005, 11:07 PM

Default Chinese gov't attacks VOIP, press freedom, & email privacy

I saw 2 articles today on cs.com news (AP, etc.)

China is trying to block VOIP in general and Skype VOIP in particular. Supposedly this is to stop competition of VOIP with (state run) telephone landline service. However, I'd suspect it's also because it's harder to bug VOIP and because it's easier for users to use relatively cheap digital encryption on VOIP versus analog landline traffic.

The other story was about how China forced Yahoo subsidiary in China to give over data on email(s) of a Chinese journalist who used a Yahoo email account and then used the data to put the reporter in jail for 10 years (based on "violations" of "secrecy" laws).

To my mind, this brings up an interesting question. If China has 100's of billions of surplus cash because of their trade surplus with US and because of their artificially supported exchange rate, could they use that money to buy a large American ISP/telecom company and get access to communication records possibly even pre-takeover records? I assume that China doesn't care anything about such fine points as "ex post facto" or whatever it's called.

To my eyes they are not far from being terrorists in suits. The only reason they don't rock the boats harder is that they're afraid of losing the money that their hands take out of the pot.

David H.

P.S. Anybody want to recommend a good app for encrypting email. Probably every political party and religion, including atheism, in the world would be safer if they could "take me out". I have about as much respect for the "benefactors" (sometimes also know as 'mafia bosses' ) as one of the Bushmen in the Kalahari would have for them.

P.P.S.
I forget the details about recent case where federal court, I think, found atheism to be under the protection of "separation of church and state". Somebody wanted to have a discussion group on atheism in prison. Serves 'em right. Give it a few more years and we'll have religious wars between different sects of atheists.

Right at the moment I don't have my Yahoo Islam holiday calendar handy, so I'll just sign off with

Merry Christmas,

Apprentice Grinch