TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > The Parlor

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:45 PM

Default Forum/Mailing List Gateway

All,

We're all set up to go "live" with the new "Forum/Mailing List gateway" between the coryphaeus mailing list and the Parlor section of the tapcis.com forums. I'll outline the system below, and if you have any objections, now's the time to state them! Judy Russell has worked tirelessly to get it up and running, and I think she's just waiting for the final okay from the list owner (Paul) to flip the right switches.

Here's how it works:

1. When a tapcis.com user posts a message in "The Parlor" on the tapcis.com web forum, it is immediately echoed to the coryphaeus@yahoogroups.com mailing list. The message will appear to be sent *by that user* from whatever email address they registered on the boards. It is important that players join this group with the same email address they use on tapcis.com. (You can join the group and select "no emails" if desired.) If the message is sent by a user who is not a member of this group, it will be "bounced" (as currently configured) or, at best, delayed while it is moderated (if Paul changes the configuration).

2. When a member posts an email to the mailing list, a copy of it goes to a subscribed tapcis.com mailbox. Periodically (currently every 15 minutes), the forum software goes through this mailbox and processes them, sticking them up in the forum in their appropriately threaded spot.

What it means to you:

1. If you're already happy with using this email list, nothing will change. You'll see some messages originated in the forum, but they won't look much different than messages originated by regular email. (Except they'll automatically include signatures, which will make TAPCIS users happy!)

2. If you prefer to use tapcis.com, you'll be able to do that to interact with the list (Please make sure your tapcis.com-registered email address is a member of the list) and won't need to use email to access it anymore.

3. There will be no need for dual posting. Anything posted in one place will (eventually) show up, in its entirety, in the other place.

I am proceeding on the assumption this is a consensus decision among us all. I've been posting bits and pieces of this for the last few days and believe everyone is in agreement with this plan. So, please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Dan