TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > Non-Tap Technical

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 17th, 2013, 09:17 PM

Default if it ain't broke, don't fix it

I wonder if this saying should apply to browser add-ons or to smart device apps? In the sense of 'add-on-ing' being a kind of "fix-ing-it".

What made me think of it was the discovery by Brian Krebs (and others?) and the blocking by Mozilla of a bogus Firefox extension pretending to be related to Microsoft .NET Framework functionality of some kind or other, which I never bothered to understand.

Best I can figure, I was not infected, but it made me rethink my reliance on browser add-ons.

So I went into my Firefox add-ons and disabled those extensions and plugins that I don't use regularly. Hoping that when I DO decide to use them again, all I'll have to do it hit the "enable" buttons. The ones that I have whether disabled or enabled are used widely enough that I hope news of bogus imitators would appear quickly. And I don't know what is the chance of valid extensions being exploited, but I guess if an add-on is disabled at a given time then it could not be exploited at that given time, at least. And maybe FF will load a little faster.

My mobile phone is dumb, so at least I don't have to worry about those kinds of apps.

BTW Windows "automatic update" has been doing a not so bad job of messing up some people's PC's lately. I'm wondering if it's not a bad idea to update manually after waiting a couple weeks after "black Tuesdays".

P.S. Most of this news comes via my 'subscriptions' to the RSS feeds available somewhere on the http://isc.sans.edu web site.