TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > The Parlor

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 12th, 2022, 10:26 AM
'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary

Default Re: [Dixonary] Round 3265 CANTREF results

IIRC I think I created the longest def using the stream-of-consciousness program babble. I can't find the def and I don't remember the round, though. As I recall, it did not win the round.

--Mike

On 7/11/2022 9:02 PM, Efrem Mallach wrote:

Folks,

CANTREF*is def #1: a medieval Welsh land division. Wales was divided into a few dozen of them, each with its own court and sometimes its own dialect. (Their number varied over time.) John Barrs knew the word and was DQ. Tim Lodge, Debbie Embler, and Shani Naylor voted for it,*giving me a D3.*

Scores ended in a tie between Dan Widdis and the aforementioned Mr. Lodge, with four points each. Since two of Tim's points came from his vote, the next deal is Dan's. Tim can console himself with traditional "winnah" honors and can play in the next round.

There wasn't much of a relationship between definition length and votes this time. Granted, Dan's winning def was long, but John Barrs's was even longer. It got two votes, the same as defs. 4, 5, and 6, and one fewer than the very short #1. Defs that received no votes were scattered, with most near the midpoint of the length scale. The strong connection between length and votes that showed up in an earlier round was, I am coming to believe, mere happenstance. That's just as well, since trying for the longest possible fake def (which we would tend to do, were a real relationship to exist) might be amusing for a while but would surely become tiresome in short order,

Full results:

1. A medieval Welsh*land division. From Dictionary which could not vote. Voted for by: Lodge, T.;*Naylor, S.; Embler, D. Score: D3.

2. Consolidated archive of North American*trees. From Fein, D. who voted 5, 11. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

3. A South American tropical bird whose*young have clawed wings. From Madnick, J. who voted 4, 11. Voted for by:*Widdis, D. Score: 1.

4. An upper-level minister of the*Australian Bush Baptist Church. From Abell, T. who did not vote. Voted for*by: Madnick, J.; Embler, D. Score: 2.

5. An earthenware vessel used*to store organs removed during mummification. From Shefler, M. who voted 6,*10. Voted for by: Fein, D.; Widdis, D. Score: 2.

6. Any of the bracing struts joining the*knees to the deck beams in a wooden ship. From Lodge, T. who voted *1*, 10.*Voted for by: Shefler, M.; Keating, P. Score: 4.

7. To cook (food, esp. game or fish) on*an open fire using a stick set in the ground. From Naylor, S. who voted *1*,*10. Voted for by: None. Score: 2.

8. A gum resin similar to myrrh obtained*from various trees of the East Indies and Africa. From Embler, D. who voted**1*, 4. Voted for by: None. Score: 2.

9. Also: cantrip. A spell or charm of*necromancy or witchcraft; a witch's trick or mischievous device. From*Keating, P. who voted 6, 10. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

10. [Antiq.] A beam, shod or armed at the*end with a metal head or point, and projecting from the prow of an ancient*galley, in order to pierce the vessel of an enemy; a beakhead. From Widdis,*D. who voted 3, 5. Voted for by: Shefler, M.; Lodge, T.; Naylor, S.; Keating,*P. Score: 4.

11. [Obs] A body of 100 senior*churchmen who were gathered together when necessary to act as an appeal court*in eccesiastical matters. They had power over the heads of religious houses.*From Barrs, J. who was DQ. Voted for by: Fein, D.; Madnick, J. Score: 2.

As a table, with tied scores in definition list order (because they start out that way, and ties stay in their existing order when Excel sorts a list on another column):

Efrem

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...8D%40gmail.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/212a9a68-dd13-ecac-0dd5-2e083ae3c974%40salsgiver.com.