View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2022, 12:09 PM
Daniel B Widdis

Default Re: [Dixonary] Round 3265 CANTREF results, definition length, and Babble

Mike,

You did win the deal in Round 615 with this submission, weighing in at 615 characters, most of them whitespace:

21. the Roumanian one-stringed balalaika (see illus.)

Submitter: Shefler Votes: 3 & 5 0 + 8 = 8<<Winnah!

Voted for by: Bourne; Widdis; Lodge; Dyer; Cunningham; Savage; Crom;

Murray

/!

/!

/ !

/ !

o / !

|=+===========================/ __ | !

| o--|---|---|---|---|---|--|------(--)--| !

|=+===========================\ ^^ | !

o \ !

\ !

\ !

\!

Vavasor

From: Paul Keating <pjakeating (AT) gmail (DOT) com> on behalf of Paul Keating <dixonary (AT) boargules (DOT) com>
Reply-To: Dixonary <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>
Date: Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 9:23 AM
To: Dixonary <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>
Subject: Re: [Dixonary] Round 3265 CANTREF results, definition length, and Babble

Mike, it was round 2000 (early May 2009), and your def was:

1. The slings and parts of Scandinavia. 2. A nunnery, which we call a winged messenger of the species. 3. A glove upon the seed of the white upturned wondering eyes in a communications stream. 4. A burial mound or not. 5. The seed of the lazy pacing clouds. 6. To be lost, esp. the place you can lose control. 7. a small spat or, when he loaded up through the sun, the Ballet Russe, her vestal livery in the town of Bedrock. 8. A technique using staged tunable rectifiers to see from Brooklyn Heights. 9. A technique using staged tunable rectifiers to be in heaven. 10. the signal-to-noise ratio in Washington. 11. the body of Albert Camus, usually providing an idiot, moving away from Brooklyn Heights. 12. The seed of outrageous fortune, esp. the envious moon, usually providing an absurdist counterfoil to dream. 13. O, that which we call a lamp, esp. the release mechanism of a lamp, most esp. the airy region stream so bright that they fall back to this night, and refuse thy father and think it is attached, causing its automatic deployment when he bestrides the release mechanism of mortals that fall back to wind evenly.

submitted as not one, but rather thirteen definitions for favillous, which actually means “consisting of or resembling ashes”. The deal went to went to John Barrs, but it couldn’t really be called a win, because the round was terminated early by a very explicit public DQ, so eight of the 16 submitters did not get to cast a vote.

There aren’t stats for definition length, so I can’t confirm that its 1,128 characters constitutes a record. With so much material to work with, it wasn’t hard to pick up collocations (envious moon, outrageous fortune) that were readily traceable to some of Babble’s default input texts (Romeo and Juliet, balcony scene, and Hamlet, soliloquy), and so to identify Babble as the true author.

At the time I still had a working copy of Babble. Of course, even if I still had it, it would not run without a DOS emulator. But rather than try to make that work, it would probably be more fun to recreate the program using modern ML techniques. I was playing with that idea just last week.

'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary wrote on 2022-07-12 17:26:

IIRC I think I created the longest def using the stream-of-consciousness program babble. I can't find the def and I don't remember the round, though. As I recall, it did not win the round.

--Mike

--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...0boargules.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...40dixonary.net.