View Single Post
  View Parent  #17  
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodi Schultz View Post
The more recent memo was self-contradictory and left up in the air how and when the mailbox migration would take place; the implication was that users themselves would effect the change any time between 5/18 and 6/30. It certainly wasn't clear that the out-of-the-blue disappearance from the old servers would take place as abruptly as it did on 5/18 and users would find themselves unexpectedly messageless.
Perhaps you didn't get CIS's follow-up e-mail, "REMINDER:Important CompuServe Classic Account Notification, dated 5/15/09, which said:

Quote:
The transition to the new mail system will occur on May 18, 2009. After this date, all access to your CompuServe Classic email will be provided
through the new system - and the existing CompuServe Classic email system will be shut down.
It went on to say that users have until June 30 to "migrate" their accounts to the new system, but not that meanwhile they would somehow be able to see their e-mail somewhere else. When the whole CompuServe Classic service is shut down on June 30, presumably everything still on it, including unmigrated e-mail accounts, will go into the bit bucket. But at least CIS gave us 6 weeks' grace period (though they didn't call it that) for whatever we choose to do, or not.

To be fair, CIS's first e-mail, same subject except the REMINDER and dated 4/15/09, did not say this. Whether it was poorly written, or CIS hadn't yet worked out exactly how the transition was going to work, I've no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodi Schultz View Post
I chose Thunderbird as my new e-mail client.
FYI, the default setup in the new e-mail system has a spam filter set to Medium. Any messages in the Spam folder, including false positives of course, won't be seen by a POP3 e-mail client. (I'm told that if the client is set to use IMAP, the Spam folder will be visible in the client.) The only way to deal with this is via the Webmail interface. Since I don't want to use Webmail unless I really have to, on the road, I tried to turn the spam filter off, so all incoming messages would go into the In-box and I could deal with them in Tbird or Mail2Web, when and if. But like most users, I found that after I logged out of Webmail, the spam filter reverted to Medium. There's a workaround for this bug, however. Instead of logging in via http://webmail.compuserve.com, use http://webmail.aol.com. You'll see exactly the same CIS Webmail UI, and when you set the Spam filter to off and click Save, it really *is* saved.

Last edited by John Francis; May 23rd, 2009 at 09:19 AM.