View Single Post
  View Parent  #6  
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:37 AM

(From THE diehard clinger to TAPCIS.)

My experience in making the transition wasn't quite as smooth as described here.

The original memo last month from CIS, talking about the 6/30 shutdown, recommended switching to Netscape or AOL as ISP; I opted for the former and had no difficulty signing up. (First month is free, and from then on $9.95/mo, the same as I'd been paying CIS; even less if one agrees to a long-term sign-up, which I've declined at this point since I might move to DSL. Not yet; too many changes could be severely traumatic.)

As to CIS's behavior with all this, it was less than ideal. The more recent memo was self-contradictory and left up in the air how and when the mailbox migration would take place; the implication was that users themselves would effect the change any time between 5/18 and 6/30. It certainly wasn't clear that the out-of-the-blue disappearance from the old servers would take place as abruptly as it did on 5/18 and users would find themselves unexpectedly messageless. CIS user support turned out to be not only unhelpful but less than helpful, since it later emerged that the tech I got gave me erroneous advice. Everything got straightened out only much later with the help of my local advisor, and I'm getting my mail without difficulty now.

TAPCIS, as noted, won't work with the new CIS mail service. I chose Thunderbird as my new e-mail client. Thus far, I'm pretty happy with it, since it seems friendly--probably because its interface is so similar to that of its sister software Firefox, which I've been using as my main browser for the past couple of years.

But I'd like to be able to use Mail2Web as well. Can someone (Mike?) detail how to get that to look in the right place for mail with the new setup? Right now, it still announces that I have no messages (when I definitely do). TIA.

--DS