Tapcis Web Forums

Tapcis Web Forums (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/index.php)
-   The TapRoom (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Keep me from killing a cat (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2208)

Jeff February 27th, 2006 01:54 PM

Keep me from killing a cat

Recently a (neighborhood I guess) cat has taken to climbing all over my car. Why I have no idea, but muddy paw prints are proof. Tell me how to stop that behavior; keep the cat off of the car, before it scratches the paint. Otherwise I'll declare self-defense and kill it. I'm thinking rat poison and catnip might be good.

- Jeff

RayB (France) February 27th, 2006 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff
Recently a (neighborhood I guess) cat has taken to climbing all over my car. Why I have no idea, but muddy paw prints are proof. Tell me how to stop that behavior; keep the cat off of the car, before it scratches the paint. Otherwise I'll declare self-defense and kill it. I'm thinking rat poison and catnip might be good.

- Jeff

Far be it from me to stop you! I have an excellent book showing hundreds of uses for a dead cat. We have three here on the farm. I broke them of the habit by setting the motion alarm in the car with a window open. They won't go near it now. Of course your neighbors might lynch you if you tried the same.

Judy G. Russell February 27th, 2006 03:02 PM

DON'T YOU DARE KILL THAT CAT!!! It'll haunt you throughout all of its eight remaining lives!!!

Use one of the many cat repellants (see here or here for examples) to set up a boundary around your parking area instead. Plain white vinegar works pretty well too. Read through the various suggestions in this thread.

Kill a cat? Harumph!

Judy G. Russell February 27th, 2006 03:02 PM

Most of those uses for dead cats will get you lynched far faster than a car alarm sounding...

ndebord February 27th, 2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

- Jeff

My non-PC answer is the old one. A burlap bag and a creek.

Judy G. Russell February 27th, 2006 04:09 PM

I knew there was something I didn't like about you. How dare you pollute our creeks like that! (Poor kitty...)

ndebord February 27th, 2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy G. Russell
I knew there was something I didn't like about you. How dare you pollute our creeks like that! (Poor kitty...)

Judy,

In my defense I didn't mention that this solution is usually meant for a litter of kittens, not grown alley cats!

<g,d&r>

Judy G. Russell February 27th, 2006 11:50 PM

I hope those kittens get loose, grow up to be alley cats... and have your address.

RayB (France) February 28th, 2006 06:14 AM

Quote:

I hope those kittens get loose, grow up to be alley cats... and have your address.

The only thing cats are good for is sizing rooms.

ndebord February 28th, 2006 07:07 AM

Quote:

Judy,

Don't get me wrong, I love cats. Have had a few over the years, but if all these cats with a propensity for sitting on car hoods (hoodlum cats?) show up, I'm going to have to go for a larger supply of burlap bags!

<g,d&r really fast now>

earler February 28th, 2006 11:02 AM

Cats don't scratch cars. They jump on them, usually, to get the warmth from the engine, thus usually on the hood. Their only depradation is dirt left. They don't pee or defecate on cars either, by the way.

-er

Jeff February 28th, 2006 12:39 PM

Quote:

DON'T YOU DARE KILL THAT CAT!!! It'll haunt you throughout all of its eight remaining lives!!!

Use one of the many cat repellants (see here or here for examples) to set up a boundary around your parking area instead. Plain white vinegar works pretty well too. Read through the various suggestions in this thread.

Kill a cat? Harumph!

Good, good. I was hoping to get someone's attention, like yours<g> I was unaware that cats on cars was such a common problem as I'd never run into it before. Which of the two repellants would you recommend? I looks like one is specific to cats..?

- Jeff

earler February 28th, 2006 03:27 PM

First I've heard of scratching cars. Mind you, I cut the cats' nails weekly, so they never became that sharp. This is to protect laps rather than cars, but should have the same result. Many people are afraid of cutting a cat's nails or feel it is cruel. It certainly isn't cruel since you only cut the extremities, carefully avoiding the part where you can see the blood in the nails. It's also easy once you get the cat used to it.

-er

Judy G. Russell February 28th, 2006 05:09 PM

Quote:

Which of the two repellants would you recommend? I looks like one is specific to cats..?

My vote is always for easy and cheap: try the white vinegar first. It's something you can buy in the supermarket and it's cheap. If that doesn't work, head over to a PetsMart (or similar store) and ask for help there for a cat-specific repellant. But be prepared: it likely won't be cheap, even if it contains cheap ingredients!

Judy G. Russell February 28th, 2006 05:09 PM

I don't think this is Jeff's cat! He'd be hard-pressed to cut the nails of a cat that's not his!

Judy G. Russell February 28th, 2006 05:11 PM

I gather you are not a cat person. I OTOH have been owned by cats since I was in diapers, and still love 'em.

As for sizing rooms, I assume you refer to the lovely analogy that "there ain't enuf room in here to swing a cat 'thout gettin' fur in yer mouth"?

Judy G. Russell February 28th, 2006 05:11 PM

Grrrrr... sew the #$%$ burlap bags together and cover the car hood!

RayB (France) February 28th, 2006 06:32 PM

Quote:

I gather you are not a cat person. I OTOH have been owned by cats since I was in diapers, and still love 'em.

As for sizing rooms, I assume you refer to the lovely analogy that "there ain't enuf room in here to swing a cat 'thout gettin' fur in yer mouth"?

Yep, M'am, thet's shur-nuf the one!

Judy G. Russell February 28th, 2006 08:04 PM

Now now... you should know that the term is "Yes'm" not "Yep, M'am"!

ktinkel February 28th, 2006 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndebord
… if all these cats with a propensity for sitting on car hoods (hoodlum cats?) show up …

… you have a real grief with their owners!

Cats are not exactly conditioned to our property laws, but their owners ought to be. Dribble nitric acid on their cars!