Tapcis Web Forums

Tapcis Web Forums (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forum Use and Help (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   mark this forum read (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70)

lensue May 29th, 2005 07:57 AM

mark this forum read

Can someone tell me if the tool "mark this forum read" is working here. Everytime I come to the forum I see messages waiting for reading that I'm not interested in reading--I click on "mark this forum read" but I'm not sure I'm accomplishing anything. Regards, Len

jackofshadows May 29th, 2005 09:14 AM

No idea here although I'll give it shot here as I'm leaving (I'm not interested in Dixonary, well yet... ;). However, for reading purposes, I'm using New Posts in the Quick Links which actually works extremely well, IMNSHO!

jackofshadows May 29th, 2005 09:18 AM

Just tried it and it works just fine. Marked Forums Read and New Posts are not reporting any new messages despite me creating some new ones (as in the prior post).

Judy G. Russell May 29th, 2005 09:19 AM

That's a feature I haven't used, Len... but an easy way to see what is and isn't new in any individual section is to click on the section name. There will be a list of threads underneath it. Threads with new messages are in bold and the icon in front of them will be highlighted with some red color.

In addition, you must have cookies enabled for this to work.

MollyM/CA May 31st, 2005 08:48 PM

Hmph. Wonder if something about my cookies is farkled (did you give me that word?). My trouble is the opposite --closed blue envelopes on the left, "today" on "latest post."

Judy G. Russell May 31st, 2005 09:36 PM

Can you do a screen capture?

Guerri Stevens June 4th, 2005 01:49 PM

Judy, your comment about the cookies makes me think that the read vs unread is for an individual forum user. That is, that what you see could be different from what I see. And my question then is whether that information is stored in cookies, or is stored somehow internally in the forum itself. As an analogy, CompuServe's high message number kept track of the highest numbered message you'd read within itself. TAPCIS's indexing identified which messages within the .MSG file you'd read (the equivalent of cookies).

So let's say I come here and I read a few threads then log out. If I delete all my cookies, is everything going to look "new" next time I visit? Does "new" mean new to me, or does "new" mean "since yesterday"? Or what?

Judy G. Russell June 4th, 2005 03:27 PM

That info is stored in the forum software, not on your computer, so when you come back it doesn't matter whether you're still logged in or logged out; the system remembers where you left off. I'm told that an upcoming version of the software will be like the old CS software and remember which message you've read or not, and not just which ones are new since your last visit or not.

Guerri Stevens June 5th, 2005 07:47 PM

Well, I can't distinguish anything that identifies what I personally have read or not read. Your message to Molly asking about a screen capture looks the same as your reply to me about whether the software identifies whether "I" have read a message or not. And I read your message to Molly yesterday, but not your reply to me. Things are the same in the thread tree as in the icons at the top of each message.

I am using the hybrid view at the moment.

I am still stumbling around here and trying to manage the tabs in Mozilla so that things make sense. I need to read up on the tabs, but that topic doesn't belong here.

Signed,
The Great Stumbler

Guerri Stevens June 5th, 2005 07:50 PM

I couldn't figure out how to edit my previous message so I'm back.

Maybe you have some tips on how to navigate.

I would like the TAPCIS-style tree that would stay at the top of the screen the whole time.

Maybe I should just shut up and harken to the really old days, 20+ years ago, before TAPCIS or the other OLR's, when we were trying to deal with the CompuServe commands. I can't even remember what they are any more.

Judy G. Russell June 5th, 2005 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In the upper right hand corner of the message field is a menu for Display Modes. (See attached image.) Try both threaded and hybrid and see which one works better for you. Threaded is probably the best for you; I prefer hybrid myself.

Judy G. Russell June 5th, 2005 08:49 PM

Ah! No, the current version of this software won't tell you whether you have read a message or thread or not. But that's coming in the next version, which is now in beta.

Dan in Saint Louis June 5th, 2005 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy G. Russell
Threaded is probably the best for you; I prefer hybrid myself.

What I like about "threaded" is that the index stands still. In "hybrid" it seems to keep jumping back to the top of the thread.

Judy G. Russell June 5th, 2005 10:45 PM

That's one reason why threaded is the default.