Tapcis Web Forums

Tapcis Web Forums (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forum Use and Help (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Forum Bug (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433)

Nick Parkin June 17th, 2005 12:53 AM

Forum Bug

I'm not sure how is best to use this Forum, but I have been using the "New Posts" feature to identify what I want to read. I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't work!

On my penultimate visit I was told that there were no new posts, this seemed strange as I hadn't visited for 24 hrs - I mean this isn't Compuserve, there are people posting all the time here! I did a search on my own posts, & found a reply which should have shown up to me as a new post. I posted a message.

I've come back an hour later, & the message that I posted isn't a new post. There are no new posts. I don't think the function is working.

I've no idea if this is the way I want to use this forum, currently I am just playing, & seeing what works for me - but I thought you ought to know that AINR (All is not right).

Nick Parkin June 17th, 2005 01:01 AM

OTOH - I just went & came back & my post appeared as a New Post .... so maybe there was a temporary glitch? My apologies if I raise a false alarm. :o

Lindsey June 17th, 2005 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Parkin
so maybe there was a temporary glitch?

I had what I think was the same experience you are describing about a week ago, but it only happened the one time, and I haven't seen it since, so I'm not sure just what caused it.

Do you access the forum from multiple computers? I have been careful about hitting the "logout" button ever since I saw the problem on the theory that perhaps I had logged out at one location and simply closed out the browser at another, and things got confused. But I don't know if that was really the problem, or if perhaps it's just a coincidence that I haven't seen the problem again.

--Lindsey

MollyM/CA June 17th, 2005 08:10 PM

<this isn't Compuserve, there are people posting all the time here!

Oooooh, cruel!!

MollyM/CA June 17th, 2005 08:16 PM

I've experienced this and that inconsistency, but it does seem that once they heal, they stay healed. Except I don't think the forum "read/unread" marking system always reflects unread messages, and is consistently inconsistent. Who wants to make a checklist and go back and forth and compare? ;)

A lot of Web software has had trouble keeping up with tabbed browsing. Amazon used to lose you if you tried to open different tabs --for different "stores" for instance --but today I did just that and the cart reflected both the book and the music store tabs. I've wondered if that's part of the problem, and if it is, I expect Vbulletin will try to find a fix. It's immensely widely used and tabbed browsing is advancing by leaps and bounds.

Nick Parkin June 19th, 2005 01:04 AM

Hi Molly,

Yes everything you said seems to be true, the problem has gone away. I am only using 1 PC.

Nick

Judy G. Russell June 23rd, 2005 09:47 PM

FYI, there may be improvements in the read/unread marking in an upcoming release of this software (it's now in beta). But I'm glad things are working for you at the moment at least!

Bill Hirst June 24th, 2005 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Parkin
Hi Molly,

Yes everything you said seems to be true, the problem has gone away. I am only using 1 PC.

Nick

I've had the "new posts" bug a couple of times when I left the window for 20 minutes to look up something in another window (Both IE6). It seems to reset the time of the last visit when you leave.

nmk2000n November 2nd, 2005 02:26 AM

hi!
By the way, where are my messages?

Judy G. Russell November 2nd, 2005 09:22 AM

Older messages can be found by looking back through the history of a thread. But messages posted not to chat with the group but rather to harass a single member will not be tolerated.

nmk2000n November 2nd, 2005 08:22 PM

But if this place just one place where can i talk with single member and I didn't speak anything wrong about this member, why not? And if to be honest, your conversations are little boring, may it is nice to bring fresh words to your chat....and nothing more...

Judy G. Russell November 2nd, 2005 09:49 PM

I repeat: if you're not here to chat with the forum as a whole but only to harass one member, it will not be tolerated.

nmk2000n November 2nd, 2005 10:24 PM

OK, but if i will harass not just one member, but others also, what will be happen?
i think, your chat is very boring. little laughing isn't very bad...How do you think, don't be nervous, please, I ask you.

Judy G. Russell November 3rd, 2005 09:21 AM

If you harass anyone, you will be excluded from the forum.

nmk2000n November 3rd, 2005 11:13 AM

But did you see before that I have harassed anyone. You could read that little heart of one single member began to knock more. And I was too much glad and that member was glad also. About other members-it was just joke. i think, everyone have to understand where is joke or where is something another.... It was just joke and nothing more... and hapiness that i met old frend, nothing more.
By the way, why you are so worried about my words?
I am very winsdom, polite and understanding woman, but sometimes it can be boring. I think, everyone can have this, and meeting even at the Internet, at the virtual space can give us very good
mood. how do you think?
But hiding from old friend-it is not very nice, how do you think and how do other members think about it??

Judy G. Russell November 3rd, 2005 12:40 PM

This is not a matter for debate. You have been told that this is inappropriate; harassment will not be tolerated.

Dan in Saint Louis November 3rd, 2005 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmk2000n
You could read that little heart of one single member began to knock more.

Perhaps you have mistaken this public forum for a private chat line. Some messages are best sent privately. Take Judy's advice.