Tapcis Web Forums

Tapcis Web Forums (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forum Use and Help (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Missing the Reply button? (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25)

Judy G. Russell May 25th, 2005 12:44 PM

Missing the Reply button?

Look up at the top right corner of the message you're reading. There's an option for DISPLAY MODES. Choose hybrid (to see a thread tree and the messages) or threaded (to see a thread tree and ONLY the message you choose to read).

Bill Hirst May 25th, 2005 01:24 PM

So _that's_ how to get the reply button.

-Bill

Silvia Carry May 25th, 2005 01:25 PM

Thanks Judy. Got it!

Judy G. Russell May 25th, 2005 01:32 PM

Yes, and you can change your preferences in the User CP (upper left under the forum logo).

Judy G. Russell May 25th, 2005 01:32 PM

Glad to help.

Dan in Saint Louis May 25th, 2005 02:09 PM

But....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy G. Russell
Choose hybrid (to see a thread tree and the messages) or threaded (to see a thread tree and ONLY the message you choose to read).

....the Reply button doesn't appear in "Threaded". In "Hybrid", how can you tell which message you are replying TO?

Judy G. Russell May 25th, 2005 02:24 PM

In hybrid, whatever message is highlighted (slightly darker background) in the thread tree is the one that the reply goes to.

I'll have to look to see if there is / should be a reply (without forcing a quote) in threaded view.

Dan in Saint Louis May 25th, 2005 02:30 PM

Quote:

In hybrid, whatever message is highlighted (slightly darker background) in the thread tree is the one that the reply goes to.

Hmm, they all look the same to me (Firefox, WinXP)

Judy G. Russell May 25th, 2005 02:36 PM

Click on any message and see if you can't see that that message and the ones lower in the thread change the background color.

ndebord May 25th, 2005 04:05 PM

Quote:

I'll have to look to see if there is / should be a reply (without forcing a quote) in threaded view.

Judy,

Don't much care for having to use the quote button to reply, unless you are suggesting there is another way to go? (I like to use my own archaic method of inserting quotes into a message!)

<g>

Judy G. Russell May 25th, 2005 04:24 PM

I am suggesting there's another way to go. Use the hybrid mode (there's a drop down list of the view modes at the top right of the messages -- Display Mode). That will give you a thread view at the top and as to the highlighted message in thread view (or the first if more than one is highlighted), you just click the Post Reply button at the top or bottom.

Dan in Saint Louis May 25th, 2005 05:41 PM

Oh, THAT was it!

Quote:

and the ones lower in the thread change the background color.

Aha! I must have clicked the top message, thus they were all the same.

Mark Hamilton May 25th, 2005 06:06 PM

Judy,

Quote:

Click on any message and see if you can't see that that message and the ones lower in the thread change the background color.
'Fraid not: well not here with Firefox 1.0.4 at any rate. But that's OK, I moderate on another set of Forums using very similar software to this and with a similar effect.

Incidentally, NetCom (a UK-based security and monitoring company) has released its anti-phishing toolbar (free) for both IE and Firefox. I highly recommend it and it does give some remarkable information about the various sites (and their hosts). Go Daddy Software, huh?!:cool:

Mark

Dan in Saint Louis May 25th, 2005 09:22 PM

Look harder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hamilton
'Fraid not: well not here with Firefox 1.0.4 at any rate.

Mark, I see what Judy means now. I also use Firefox 1.0.4 and the message you choose to view (and those below it IN THE SAME SUBTHREAD, but not other branches) adopt a darker background.

Judy G. Russell May 25th, 2005 09:41 PM

Yes, that'd make them all the same color.

Judy G. Russell May 25th, 2005 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See the attached, Mark. This was screen-captured in Firefox 1.0.4. It's subtle but it's there.

Marilyn Ratcheson May 25th, 2005 10:51 PM

Hmm. I'm using Firefox 1.0.4, and I'm not seeing a reply button at all, only the quote button. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm in Hybrid or Thread mode...

And I'm not exactly sure where in the thread this message will land. I *think it's a reply to Judy..(Hi Judy!!)

Sorry for being such a dunce...

-Marilyn

Judy G. Russell May 25th, 2005 11:17 PM

Hi, Marilyn! Long time no see!

Up in the top right of any thread there's an option box for Display Mode. Change it to hybrid and you'll get a thread tree at the top and messages at the bottom. You choose the message you want to reply to in the thread tree (if you don't happen to be reading it) and there will be a Post Reply button at the top and bottom.

Alternately, go ahead and hit quote, highlight everything in the box and start typing...

Marilyn Ratcheson May 25th, 2005 11:47 PM

Ah, got it, thank you, Judy!

-Marilyn

Judy G. Russell May 25th, 2005 11:54 PM

Glad to help!