Tapcis Web Forums

Tapcis Web Forums (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tapcis Support (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   TAPCIS: It's Over (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7441)

John Francis May 20th, 2009 07:21 AM

TAPCIS: It's Over

On Monday at 1:00 PM EDT, the plug was pulled on CompuServe Classic's e-mail service. Beginning then, TAPCIS (and other e-mail software) could no longer connect with compuserve.com. So the end of the TAPCIS era, about a (human) generation long, has really come.

"Migrating" to the new e-mail system has been marked by confusion, some failures (none of them permanent that I know of), and the discovery of some bugs, but for most of us it's worked. One reason for the confusion is that it sometimes took many hours for users' e-mails residing at compuserve.com to be moved to the new servers at csi.com, and the users believed the new system wasn't working. But this bottleneck appears to have passed, and most complaints now are being easily resolved.

I got through the transition with no problems at all worth mentioning, and if anyone has questions about it and doesn't want to sift through the immense stack of threads in the CompuServe Classic Support Forum, I'll be happy to answer them.

The outcome is that POP3 and now IMAP e-mail is up and running without needing to change my reply-to e-mail address; all I needed to provide is a new user ID, which now is the complete e-mail address, not just the part before the @, and a new password, for which I was fortunately able to select my original CompuServe login password - no problem remembering that! As far as the world outside knows, neither my e-mail address or anything else has changed. And as far as I'm concerned, handling e-mail hasn't changed much either. With one bug-related problem mentioned later.

CompuServe now additionally provides a Webmail UI for the migrated accounts. This has given people more problems. In the first place, those who had created a personal name alias in NEWMAIL found that this was now their unchangeable e-mail address, the older one based on the PPN not being allowed. Quite arbitrary as those who had no alias kept their PPN-based addresses. Several users have posted that they would have preferred the PPN-based address if given a choice. This means any e-mail composed and sent from CIS Webmail will have a reply-to address of alias@compuserve.com. It will also have a random advertisement appended to the message text, enough in itself to discourage me from using the Webview at all.

Another problem with Webview is a dumb spam filter that traps legit e-mails along with some but not all of the spam, and presently can't be turned off. Moreover, any message in the spam folder can't be seen and retrieved with a POP3 client. To get it off the server and into my e-mail client, I must first go into Webmail, move the mail from the spam folder to the in-box, and only *then* download via POP3. This is cumbersome and easy to forget, and I'm not alone in wanting to turn CompuServe's spam filter off so everything goes into the in-box, for me to deal with in my own way. But the spam filter control won't stick in the Off position, flipping back to Medium. This is obviously not working as designed, and we hope the Powers will fix it immediately.

Once that's done, I don't anticipate using the Webview at all, as Mail2Web is much faster on its feet and provides as much functionality as I need when away from a computer running Thunderbird. The free version, which I use, appends an advertisement for itself, but that's OK, I recommend it anyway. Presently Mail2Web doesn't recognize the new systems' servers at csi.com and can't be used until it does; soon, I hope.

That's about it so far concerning the e-mail changeover. CompuServe is also shutting down its ISP service, on or after June 30, and when that happens my old login, with the PPN and original password, probably won't work. Easy enough to recover access with a new, AOL-style "screen name" and password, but I'm sentimental about the login that's served me for nearly 24 years now, not to mention that 24 years older, I may have a little problem remembering the new one. <grin> CIS's owners, AOL, aren't as sentimental as I am; in the forums, even the CompuServe logo has been replaced with Netscape. But at least they haven't shut it down, and if I sometimes have to explain what this "compuserve" in my e-mail address is, I'm always happy to do that. Try and stop me!

Peter Creasey May 20th, 2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Francis (Post 55378)
That's about it so far concerning the e-mail changeover. CompuServe is also shutting down its ISP service, on or after June 30, and when that happens my old login, with the PPN and original password, probably won't work. Easy enough to recover access with a new, AOL-style "screen name" and password, but I'm sentimental about the login that's served me for nearly 24 years now, not to mention that 24 years older, I may have a little problem remembering the new one. <grin> CIS's owners, AOL, aren't as sentimental as I am; in the forums, even the CompuServe logo has been replaced with Netscape. But at least they haven't shut it down, and if I sometimes have to explain what this "compuserve" in my e-mail address is, I'm always happy to do that. Try and stop me!

John, Well stated! And similar to my "loyal" sentiments.

All in all, I submit that Compuserve handled a difficult situation and transition remarkably well.

I know I am well pleased. And glad to have a modern-day email handler now...even it is connected with AOL.

Judy G. Russell May 20th, 2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

On Monday at 1:00 PM EDT, the plug was pulled on CompuServe Classic's e-mail service. Beginning then, TAPCIS (and other e-mail software) could no longer connect with compuserve.com. So the end of the TAPCIS era, about a (human) generation long, has really come.

I'm really still amazed that it lasted this long, John.

Mike May 21st, 2009 03:29 AM

Quote:

Presently Mail2Web doesn't recognize the new systems' servers at csi.com and can't be used until it does; soon, I hope.

If you use the Advanced Login, and specify the correct POP server, then mail2web can retrieve the mail. Since the server's domain is not the same as the email address' domain, mail2web cannot associate the two, and m2w has indicated that it does not (and will not) create a table mapping between the domains.

heinz57g May 21st, 2009 06:04 AM

yes, using ADV LOGIN does work if you put in the settings manually. but again strange:
it does NOT work if you use the very same settings on your Personalized M2W Home Page,
where you can have several accounts on the ready (but PW).

wow, a lot more to find out, and to do ...

greetings - heinz -

Dodi Schultz May 21st, 2009 09:37 AM

(From THE diehard clinger to TAPCIS.)

My experience in making the transition wasn't quite as smooth as described here.

The original memo last month from CIS, talking about the 6/30 shutdown, recommended switching to Netscape or AOL as ISP; I opted for the former and had no difficulty signing up. (First month is free, and from then on $9.95/mo, the same as I'd been paying CIS; even less if one agrees to a long-term sign-up, which I've declined at this point since I might move to DSL. Not yet; too many changes could be severely traumatic.)

As to CIS's behavior with all this, it was less than ideal. The more recent memo was self-contradictory and left up in the air how and when the mailbox migration would take place; the implication was that users themselves would effect the change any time between 5/18 and 6/30. It certainly wasn't clear that the out-of-the-blue disappearance from the old servers would take place as abruptly as it did on 5/18 and users would find themselves unexpectedly messageless. CIS user support turned out to be not only unhelpful but less than helpful, since it later emerged that the tech I got gave me erroneous advice. Everything got straightened out only much later with the help of my local advisor, and I'm getting my mail without difficulty now.

TAPCIS, as noted, won't work with the new CIS mail service. I chose Thunderbird as my new e-mail client. Thus far, I'm pretty happy with it, since it seems friendly--probably because its interface is so similar to that of its sister software Firefox, which I've been using as my main browser for the past couple of years.

But I'd like to be able to use Mail2Web as well. Can someone (Mike?) detail how to get that to look in the right place for mail with the new setup? Right now, it still announces that I have no messages (when I definitely do). TIA.

--DS

heinz57g May 21st, 2009 10:21 AM

>> as abruptly as it did on 5/18 and users would find themselves unexpectedly messageless

yes, thats what it looked like, but luckily wasnt: the mails all re-appeared once you switched to the
new system. as far as i can tell (several accounts checked), nothing got lost.

>> CIS user support turned out to be not only unhelpful but less than helpful

that is putting it politely. when i called their european support few days ago, the initial response was
that CLASSIC had been out since years ... took another 5 minutes before they found someone who
knew what i was talking about.

>> I chose Thunderbird as my new e-mail client

excellent choice, and probably the easiest to get into without too much pain. once you are 'fluent',
check out some of the add-ons it offers.

>> like to be able to use Mail2Web as well

suggest you wait a few days, they might sort out that server problem. at the moment it seems to
be too much of a workaround to get it done. their system with a personalized homepage works fine
with all other services, and i am sure it will with CSI too.

eventually.

but if you are really impatient, i would be happy to give you a step-by-step guide to get into it, with
the Advanced Login mike was talking about.

greetings - heinz -

Mike May 22nd, 2009 03:50 AM

Before you try to use Mail2Web to access your mail, are you able to retrieve it with Thunderbird? I'm asking because some people can access webmail.compuserve.com with no problem, but are unable to check the mailbox with POP3 (the protocol used by Thunderbird and Mail2Web).

If you are able to use Thunderbird, then Mail2Web can be used this way:
  • Go to www.mail2web.com
  • Click Advanced Login
  • Enter pop.csi.com for Server name or IP address
  • Enter your complete email address (s****z@compuserve.com) in User ID or Login name
  • Enter your password in Password
  • Choose POP3 for Mail Protocol
  • Click "Check Mail"
  • Mail2Web will display a code and ask you to type it into a box (to confirm you are a human). Type it as requested and click "Check Mail"
Note that CompuServe's own web mail page gives you more control over accessing mail, including the ability to tag spam to train the spam filter, to mark messages read or unread, and to search for the sender or subject throughout the mailbox.

heinz57g May 22nd, 2009 05:49 AM

let me add a few things to mikes very clear listing:

- USER ID or LOGIN name: if you have both (many
people even dont remember they do), only the LOGIN name
(also called 'friendly name') will work, NOT the actual
numeric ID.

- the PASSWORD is the new password you set up when
changing systems a few days ago. with some people it seemed
to have worked to set this to the same as the old mail-only
password, with others not.

many greetings - heinz -

Dodi Schultz May 22nd, 2009 10:08 AM

Many thanks, Mike and Heinz!

Yes, Mike, I've had no trouble handling my mail with Thunderbird. (I'm certainly not, um, on intimate terms with it after less than a week--but we've become dependably friendly, and it's been forbearing with my fumbling.) Its ability to sniff out junk mail is truly impressive.

I've printed out the advice from both of you, and I'm about to go see if I can bring Mail2Web back to functioning life. I'll report results.

-DS

Dodi Schultz May 22nd, 2009 10:41 AM

Okay, guys, here I am again, having attempted to resuscitate Mail2Web.

No joy.

I used Advanced Login. As instructed, I entered pop.csi.com as server name and my e-mail address as Mail2Web has always known it (what Mike specified).

I chose POP3 for protocol.

As to password: Heinz, it did NOT want the new CompuServe password I set up a few days ago. When I tried to use that, it repeatedly said it was an error and asked for a new password.

Then, I tried the special password I'd originally set up with Mail2Web (different from both my old CIS password and that new one I recently set up). It seemed to accept that--it didn't call it an error--but kept repeatedly returning me to the login, asking me to copy a new "code word."

I gave up.

Apparently, it has no connection with the new CompuServe mail servers, as far as I can see.

Have you--either Mike or Heinz--actually got Mail2Web to read mail on the new system? Or do you know anyone who has?

--DS

heinz57g May 22nd, 2009 11:35 AM

>> Advanced Login

correct.

>> pop.csi.com as server name

correct.

>> my e-mail address as Mail2Web has always known it (what Mike specified)

must be the 'friendly name' you set up years ago, not the numeric one, and include the
@compuserve.com part, i.e. dodis@compuserve.com

>> POP3 for protocol

correct.

>> it did NOT want the new CompuServe password I set up a few days ago

thats the one it needs if all other points are correct. check spelling, capitals or not, etc.

>> Then, I tried the special password I'd originally set up with Mail2Web

M2W does not use passwords at all. it just asks you for passwords that belong to the
mail account you use. in this case, the above CSI password.

>> It seemed to accept that

dont get angry: could it be you are mixing passwords up?

>> asking me to copy a new "code word"

thats why i asked about the mixup. this request only comes if email and password are OK.

and here might be a hiccup: if you use any of the FIREFOX popup or script blockers (such
as NoScript), you might not SEE the code it is asking for. check that, and allow FIREFOX
to permit any scripts for that page. or, just for this testing, use IntExpl.

>> I gave up

dont. we will have you going within minutes.

>> Have you--either Mike or Heinz--actually got Mail2Web to read mail on the new system?
>> Or do you know anyone who has?

me, yes for sure, some 15 accounts so far. my own and friends. all work.

greetings - heinz -

Dodi Schultz May 22nd, 2009 08:49 PM

Well, Heinz, I'm thoroughly baffled.

I followed all of the instructions. I used, yes, the address I've always been using, since the letters replaced my account number years ago. That hasn't changed at all; it's my continuing e-mail address, and it's what I've been using at M2W right along.

I did all the other things you mention. No, I don't have my passwords confused. When I used the brand-new password I made up the other day for the new CServe mail set-up, M2W declared it an error.

A special password *had* been set up for M2W years ago; it *wasn't* my original CServe password. M2W does *not* declare that an error; it just repeatedly brings up the "enter the code word" screen, with a new word each time. And yes, I can see the words perfectly clearly. There's no problem with that. (Lots of sites ask you to do that, in order to prevent robot access. I've never had any trouble with any of them, and there's nothing in my browser that interferes.)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Any other ideas?

Heinz? Or Mike?

--Dodi

Mike May 23rd, 2009 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodi Schultz (Post 55438)
Have you--either Mike or Heinz--actually got Mail2Web to read mail on the new system? Or do you know anyone who has?

Yup. I just tried with a test account, and it worked fine.

I hadn't used m2w for a long time, because all of the mailboxes I check have their own web interface that does what I need, and I prefer not to share my password with another provider. Thus, I didn't know about the step to enter the code word. (I've gone back to edit my post to reflect that.)

I'm wondering if m2w is remembering your old settings and trying to use them? Is there a way to tell m2w to forget them?

heinz57g May 23rd, 2009 02:55 AM

>> Well, Heinz, I'm thoroughly baffled

so am i, so you are not alone at least.

>> When I used the brand-new password I made up the other
>> day for the new CServe mailset-up, M2W declared it an error

that is strange and should not be the case.

>> A special password *had* been set up for M2W years ago

and THAT is the part that cannot be (or where i simply misunderstand you): M2W
has not password, anywhere
. so thats also the part where we need to hook into.

>> Any other ideas?

for right now, only one. you will get a PM on this.

greetings - heinz -

heinz57g May 23rd, 2009 03:03 AM

mike,

>> and I prefer not to share my password with another provider

thats the main issue with M2W: they do NOT use or STORE passwords, at all. you have
to enter it, for every account, every time anew. it is not recorded or stored anywhere, just
passed on to your actual system in real time.

that also is the neat thing about their personalized homepage: you can have dozends of
accounts sitting ready there, with all the names and login data, BUT the password - which
you then enter manually. there is NO option to override this safety feature.

wait: you own computer could do this, your browser for example. it could fill in passwords
for you if set up to do so, but this again has nothing to do with M2W.

>> didn't know about the step to enter the code word

that is fairly new, weeks only, and also does not show up at every time you log in. seems to
come up only if you have not logged in for some time, or if previous attempts have been faulty.

greetings - heinz -

John Francis May 23rd, 2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodi Schultz (Post 55405)
The more recent memo was self-contradictory and left up in the air how and when the mailbox migration would take place; the implication was that users themselves would effect the change any time between 5/18 and 6/30. It certainly wasn't clear that the out-of-the-blue disappearance from the old servers would take place as abruptly as it did on 5/18 and users would find themselves unexpectedly messageless.

Perhaps you didn't get CIS's follow-up e-mail, "REMINDER:Important CompuServe Classic Account Notification, dated 5/15/09, which said:

Quote:

The transition to the new mail system will occur on May 18, 2009. After this date, all access to your CompuServe Classic email will be provided
through the new system - and the existing CompuServe Classic email system will be shut down.
It went on to say that users have until June 30 to "migrate" their accounts to the new system, but not that meanwhile they would somehow be able to see their e-mail somewhere else. When the whole CompuServe Classic service is shut down on June 30, presumably everything still on it, including unmigrated e-mail accounts, will go into the bit bucket. But at least CIS gave us 6 weeks' grace period (though they didn't call it that) for whatever we choose to do, or not.

To be fair, CIS's first e-mail, same subject except the REMINDER and dated 4/15/09, did not say this. Whether it was poorly written, or CIS hadn't yet worked out exactly how the transition was going to work, I've no idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodi Schultz (Post 55405)
I chose Thunderbird as my new e-mail client.

FYI, the default setup in the new e-mail system has a spam filter set to Medium. Any messages in the Spam folder, including false positives of course, won't be seen by a POP3 e-mail client. (I'm told that if the client is set to use IMAP, the Spam folder will be visible in the client.) The only way to deal with this is via the Webmail interface. Since I don't want to use Webmail unless I really have to, on the road, I tried to turn the spam filter off, so all incoming messages would go into the In-box and I could deal with them in Tbird or Mail2Web, when and if. But like most users, I found that after I logged out of Webmail, the spam filter reverted to Medium. There's a workaround for this bug, however. Instead of logging in via http://webmail.compuserve.com, use http://webmail.aol.com. You'll see exactly the same CIS Webmail UI, and when you set the Spam filter to off and click Save, it really *is* saved.

Dodi Schultz May 23rd, 2009 10:14 AM

John, I'm not having any trouble dealing with my mail (reading, sorting, writing) via Tbird; that's working just fine (although quite a wrench switching from TAPCIS!). My only problem now is getting Mail2Web to function for me, which it has ceased doing.

My userid/e-mail address has not changed at all, so it appears to be a password question. Mail2Web seems to accept neither my new CompuServe password NOR the special password I'd set up for it via something called "virtual key" around five years ago.

See the intervening correspondence in this thread.

--DS

heinz57g May 23rd, 2009 12:59 PM

dodi, this is where the mixup and misunderstanding (could well be on my side) is: the latest mentioning of
VIRTUAL KEY in connection with M2W - the two have nothing to do with each other. virtual key was a security
feature of the old Compuserve software (OSWIN, CS4 etc), long before M2W was even on the market.

greetings - heinz -

davidh May 23rd, 2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

CIS's owners, AOL, aren't as sentimental as I am; in the forums, even the CompuServe logo has been replaced with Netscape. But at least they haven't shut it down, and if I sometimes have to explain what this "compuserve" in my e-mail address is, I'm always happy to do that. Try and stop me!

FWIW, even tho' I canceled Classic Compuserve in about '05, I discovered that I'm still a Compuserve member, sort of.

When I changed something in my Compuserve Instant Messenger (basically the same as AOL Instant Messenger) account recently , a confirmation message came from "Compuserve Instant Messenger" verifying the change.

So I'll probably remain a "member" as long as AIM still works, or until I drop off the planet.
DH