PDA

View Full Version : Go To Parent

Guerri Stevens
August 28th, 2005, 07:21 PM
I noticed something new and I hope I'm not the only one. Between the message number and the triangle thingy is "[go to parent msg.]". Do we have new software?

Judy G. Russell
August 28th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Not new software, no, but a new feature that was added with our very great thanks to the folks over at the Desktop Publishing Forum (www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/) who figured out how to add it.

Lindsey
August 28th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Not new software, no, but a new feature that was added with our very great thanks to the folks over at the Desktop Publishing Forum (www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/) who figured out how to add it.
And very nice it is for those of us (or maybe it's only me) using linear mode!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
August 28th, 2005, 11:32 PM
I use hybrid mode, and really really like this parent link too. Thank heavens the folks at DTP are a lot more savvy about this than I am!!!

Lindsey
August 28th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Thank heavens the folks at DTP are a lot more savvy about this than I am!!!
Well, they've been at it a bit longer. I think you did a terrific job of getting things set up here in a very little bit of time.

--Lindsey

Mike Landi
August 29th, 2005, 08:16 AM
I use hybrid mode, and really really like this parent link too. Thank heavens the folks at DTP are a lot more savvy about this than I am!!!

I did not know about hybrid mode and have now found it, thanks to you. :D

This software is what P-CIS should have been!

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Well, they've been at it a bit longer. I think you did a terrific job of getting things set up here in a very little bit of time.
Appreciate the kind words, but what DTP did is beyond my level of technical skill. They figured out where in the code the control was and added a bit of their own code. I wouldn't have managed that in 100 years.

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2005, 10:12 AM
I did not know about hybrid mode and have now found it, thanks to you. :D This software is what P-CIS should have been!
It isn't perfect -- there are still some things I'd like to be able to do and can't (at least not yet). But it's by far the best of the bb software packages out there.

Dan in Saint Louis
August 29th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Really nice would be if the "Go to last message" link was "Go to last UNREAD".

Andrew B.
August 29th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Dan,

There are ways to get to the first unread message and the last unread message.

As you enter the forum, click New Posts to get a list of threads that contain your unread messages. These are sorted so the one with the most recent activity is on the top. To get to the first unread message in any of the topics, click on the downward-pointing arrowhead button that is directly to the left of the thread title. To get to the last message in the thread, click on the right-pointing arrowhead that directly to the right of the user name in the Last Post column.

...Andrew

Dan in Saint Louis
August 29th, 2005, 03:23 PM
To get to the first unread message in any of the topics, click on the downward-pointing arrowhead button that is directly to the left of the thread title.
Perfect! I had never let my mouse cursor hover there long enough to read the tool tip. Muchas gracias!

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I told you those folks (Andrew in particular) knew this software better than I did!!

Lindsey
August 29th, 2005, 10:04 PM
A bit of their own code--wow. I'm impressed!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2005, 10:41 PM
You and me both. I figured it was one of the 8,462 modifications you can make by clicking here or there in the controls. Nope. This was a "find this code and add these lines between this spot and that spot"!

Jeff
August 30th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Perfect! I had never let my mouse cursor hover there long enough to read the tool tip. Muchas gracias!

Tool tip? Well yeah, my mouse shows me one. But directly next to the down arrow is "View First Unread", which is hot. Not for you? For my part I had been totally obvious to the new 'go to parent' link.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
August 30th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Some of what you see depends on what view you've chosen, Jeff: there's threaded, hybrid and linear, and not everything looks the same in all three. But the Go to Parent link is brand new!

Andrew B.
August 30th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of helpful buttons and clues that are not obvious at first. But after spending some time looking into the menus and pushing on things, I started liking vBulletin.