PDA

View Full Version : The BBC's view of a Texan

Jeff
August 28th, 2005, 01:42 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4187502.stm

In search of an Iraq exit strategy

By Justin Webb
BBC News, Texas

"At the beginning of August, Cindy Sheehan, the mother of an American soldier who died in Iraq, set up camp in front of President Bush's Texas ranch, vowing to stay there until he agreed to meet her. Justin Webb considers the impact her protest has had on US politics."

>clip

"President Bush cannot look Cindy Sheehan in the eye and tell her that her son died because the White House messed up.

But a future president will."

Judy G. Russell
August 28th, 2005, 02:01 PM
The critical quote, I think:

As one writer put it: "With the overthrow of Saddam Hussein, the US achieved in Iraq almost all that it had the capacity to achieve."

Bill Hirst
August 28th, 2005, 02:48 PM
The critical quote, I think:As one writer put it: "With the overthrow of Saddam Hussein, the US achieved in Iraq almost all that it had the capacity to achieve."
Meanwhile, Osama Bin Laden remains a free man and oil prices are skyrocketing.
If I could find my old draft card, I'd burn it. This war is starting to look too much like 'Nam.

Judy G. Russell
August 28th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I'm beginning to think the best of all possible worlds now is to tell the Saudis, Jordanians, Syrians etc. that on Date X (a few weeks in the future) we're going to declare victory and leave... and the rest is up to them.

Jeff
August 29th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Yup. Which was known and is why the road to Baghdad was not taken in GW 1.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Well, that and the fact that there was no international support for taking Baghdad the first time around. (Nor the second time, but ...)

ndebord
August 29th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Well, that and the fact that there was no international support for taking Baghdad the first time around. (Nor the second time, but ...)

Judy,

Can't remember the cartoonist's name, but the illustration showed breakfast time in the senior Bush household: George the Elder on the left, George Jr in the middle and Barbara on the right.

George Jr is looking down at his plate, but he is also looking out of the corner of his eyes at his daddy with a bemused or is it confused look on his face:

(paraphrasing the conversation here, so bear with my poor recall.)

Daddy: "Look Son. Just because Saddam tried to kill me, doesn't mean you have to invade Iraq."

Barbara (sitting over her plate with her left hand holding a fork and her right a knife, clenched in her fists pointing to the sky.

"Kill him, or no breakfast for you."

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2005, 10:49 PM
"Kill him, or no breakfast for you."
ROFL!!!!! Betcha she made him eat broccoli too!

RayB (France)
August 30th, 2005, 09:21 AM
**Betcha she made him eat broccoli too!**

At least he didn't have to eat crow in November.

Judy G. Russell
August 30th, 2005, 10:53 AM
**Betcha she made him eat broccoli too!**
At least he didn't have to eat crow in November.
No, thanks to the Supreme Court (round 1).

RayB (France)
August 30th, 2005, 06:26 PM
No, thanks to the Supreme Court (round 1).

Am I correct in remembering that there was no (round 2)?

Ans: Yes, but . . . . . .

Judy G. Russell
August 30th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Nope, you're absolutely right. No question -- he won the second time, popular and electoral vote.