PDA

View Full Version : Where there's a Will,...

Dick K
August 25th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Every now and then, George F. Will (who, admittedly, can be ponderous and soporific at times) comes up with a gem that reminds us of his skill as an essayist...even when he is not writing about baseball.

An opinion piece (http://tinyurl.com/9kq5e) in Thursday's "Washington Post" is an example of just such a gem. Will provides a remarkably pithy and pertinent description of the appalling takeover of the Democratic Party--once justifiably noted for rational thought--by the spit-flying hatred and hysterics of the Michael Moore/MoveOn crowd.

Whether one is a Democrat, a Republican, or undeclared, the Will item is (IMHO) well worth reading and pondering.

Judy G. Russell
August 26th, 2005, 12:24 AM
It's good reading by BOTH sides. The tone of rhetoric in all political debate these days has made discourse just about impossible.

RayB (France)
August 26th, 2005, 04:09 AM
**Whether one is a Democrat, a Republican, or undeclared, the Will item is (IMHO) well worth reading and pondering.**

Couldn't agree more . . . with you, Will and Judy. Until the Dems give the electorate something to vote FOR and and not just AGAINST THE PREZ, they are doomed. The problem is that hatred blinds reason whether in politics or elsewhere. While I am diametrically opposed to some of Bush's policies, as in Pro-choice, stem cell research, using the word God far too much, etc., until such time as I see a candidate or party that offers a viable alternative, I'll vote for him. The debate about Iraq is a waste of time. It exists and the only course of action, IMO, is to see it through as best as we possibly can and support the troops united as a nation. Being Anti-war is a loser. We are all, or at least should be, anti-war but doing so in the middle of one is not a vote-getter. The louder and longer that they scream the less they are heard.

Enough! Thanks for the article, Dick.