PDA

View Full Version : SpiderOak for cloud storage

Mike
June 28th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I recently learned about the security failure at DropBox, where a person could log into any DropBox account with any password, and get access to all the files there.

I then discovered SpiderOak, which is a similar service. However, files stored on SpiderOak are encrypted automatically before being sent to the cloud, meaning that only someone with the password can open the file.

Free accounts normally get 2 GB of storage space, but if one signs up using this referral link (https://spideroak.com/signup/referral/7612d3147577be5ae7deb1f03a2d5de1/), the account will have 3 GB of space.

Jeff
June 29th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Do you know of any cheap and secure place to store 15 gig? I'd like to keep a set of backup files off site.

sidney
June 29th, 2011, 02:46 PM
This isn't a recommendation because I don't know much about them, but as a data point http://rsync.net charges 80 cents per gigabyte per month for their basic plan which includes offline storage at a single site, no additional costs for setup, traffic, etc., and with quantity discounts and discounts for educators/students and open source developers.

Dan in Saint Louis
June 30th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Do you know of any cheap and secure place to store 15 gig? I'd like to keep a set of backup files off site.
MicroCenter is giving away 4GB thumb drives. Get four (you will need help from three friends) and store them in any site you choose: safe-deposit box, hole in the back yard, girlfriend's garage.............

For even more storage hard drives are now 3.3 cents per gigabyte.

Mike
July 2nd, 2011, 12:23 AM
I think the option that Sidney found is among the cheapest.

SpiderOak would cost more (100GB for $10/month, or $100/year).

To me, it appears that rsync might be a bit more of a challenge to get configured and running, but may offer more flexibility in the tools, while SpiderOak has a basic client without options for alternatives.

Jeff
July 2nd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys. I'm looking at rsync. They seem to have a basic windows backup client, but I'm not sure it can be set to do the whole drive. And I'm not sure how long it would take to upload the whole drive as I do a redo every time. And I'm not sure it does compare. Right now I can backup and compare to a USB external WD hd in an hour at a reported speed of ~500meg/byte/min. I do have a six meg/byte cable pipe. Guess I'll call them next week.