PDA

View Full Version : OT: What's Going on with tapcis.com Email?

Guerri Stevens
June 18th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I hope someone among the tapcis.com management sees this, but I thought I ought to post it in the parlor.

Something odd is going on with tapcis.com Email starting today (June 18) or possibly after my last session yesterday. This morning I tried to send a couple of email messages to the Dixonary group in the usual method, playing by Email, and responding to a couple of messages. I got no error messages, but the Emails never arrived. So, I thought, OK, a temporary glitch, I'll send them again. Same result.

Just now I logged into the group directly. I got a message from Google saying that I have two tapcis.com Email accounts with the same name, one a personal account and another an "organizational" account managed by tapcis.com. Huh?

So I start following the suggestions for dealing with this and I get this information from Google: "A Google Account may be created using any standard email address that can receive mail. Because of this, you may have used your Google Apps email address to create a conflicting account. A conflicting account is a personal Google Account that was created using the email address of a Google Apps account. For this reason, any Google Apps user could have two accounts with the same email address.". Well what is "Google Apps" pray tell? New terminology or something new inflicted upon us without our knowledge? And I am sure I didn't create my same tapcis.com Email address a second time. Certainly I would have noticed that, wouldn't I?

I now see something about telling them which data belongs in my organization's account (*my* organization???) and then selecting a different Email address for my personal account. Well, assuming I did that, how do I know whether people who have been corresponding with me for years using my tapcis.com Email address are going to have to be notified about a new "personal" address or whether I will just use my organization Email address going forward.

Is there anyone here to whom this makes sense?

What I think is that Google itself is doing something. The Google apps stuff is probably relatively new, they are converting stuff and changing stuff, and it is they, and not I, who have munged up my account.

I will continue reading what they have to say about this whilst awaiting guidance from elsewhere.

Guerri Stevens
June 18th, 2011, 07:13 PM
OK, so now I am talking to myself. I have tried to move along with getting my situation vis-a-vis Google resolved. It is unfortunate that things cannot be worded more clearly. Statements such as "when you sign into your conflicting account". What does that mean? What Google has decided is that I have two accounts with the same name, one personal and one organizational. These conflict with each other. So which one would you say is the conflicting account????

I now believe I know what has happened. I got an Email address from tapcis.com. At the time, the Email was hosted by Go Daddy or some name like that *and* the Dixonary game was still being played in a Yahoo group. I may be wrong about the timing, but that's how I think it was.

I am not sure what my settings were in the Yahoo group - whether I used my tapcis.com email address or a Yahoo address.

At some point, the tapcis.com management decided to host their Email on Google, instead of Go Daddy.

I am not sure what happened at the time the game moved to the Google group and whether that was before or after tapcis.com moved from Go Daddy to Gmail. But I do know that when I log into the Dixonary group, I use my tapcis.com Email address. I guess that should be past tense, because that's when I get hijacked by Google as of today. Google considers that Email address to be my personal address as opposed to my identical organization address. Google does give me a substitute Email address. I think it will let me rename the personal address, but if I do that, then what? Can I still use my organization email address to play the game? Will Email from the group go to the new address?

I think the reason my Emails don't get to the group is either that they are interpreted as my personal address and have been modified to the Google-supplied substitute address which is not recognized as a member of the group. OR because they are interpreted as the organization Email address, and that is not recognized as a member of the group.

In my opinion, none of this should be *my* problem!

-- Guerri