PDA

View Full Version : Netscape/Mozilla forum closing :-(

davidh
August 24th, 2005, 02:50 PM
http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ws-mozilla&nav=messages&tid=125733&tsn=

David H

Judy G. Russell
August 24th, 2005, 03:54 PM
The Internet Publishing Forum will close at the same time.

Guerri Stevens
August 24th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Why are the forums closing? Decision by Compuserve management, forum management, too little interest? Or are you not at liberty to say?

Judy G. Russell
August 24th, 2005, 10:58 PM
It's simply time to move on.

Peter Creasey
August 25th, 2005, 10:19 AM
>> Why are the forums closing? Decision by Compuserve management, forum management, too little interest? <<

Guerri, It cannot be due to "too little interest". The interest level has always been high.

It is interesting that unlike most Boards that have announced as closing, the Netscape/Mozilla Board continues to have considerable traffic right up to its extermination.

Not directed to Judy, of course, (who did yeoman's duty there) but the acute sensitivity exhibited by some people regarding the issue of the Netscape/Mozilla Board being cancelled is quite curious.

Judy G. Russell
August 25th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Except for what I call the "fluff" forums (things that focus, for example, on what Britney Spears is doing these days), NONE of the Compuserve forums have "considerable traffic". Most if not all of the forums that address general support matters have a few messages a day. Virtually all of the serious discussions moved off onto the web a looooooong time ago.

There is no mystery about the closing of these two forums. The individual who has operated them under contract to Compuserve is moving on to other things in his life. You asked that question on the forum, you were given that answer on the forum. It is literally as simple as that.

Peter Creasey
August 25th, 2005, 10:56 AM
>> The individual who has operated them under contract to Compuserve is moving on to other things in his life. You asked that question on the forum, you were given that answer on the forum. It is literally as simple as that. <<

Judy, Thanks for the info!

I'm not going to revisit the thread but I don't recall a straightforward answer. I DO recall some strange answers (not from you, of course) that seemed almost bizarre.

Judy G. Russell
August 25th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Do keep in mind that any forum can be closed at any time by the Powers That Be. And comments critical of the management of Compuserve could be considered grounds for closing either forum before the scheduled closing date on 8/31.

davidh
August 25th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Virtually all of the serious discussions moved off onto the web a looooooong time ago.
Does that mean that discussions in this web forum are now serious?

David H.

Judy G. Russell
August 25th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Does that mean that discussions in this web forum are now serious?
Here???? Oh, yeah. Sure. Right. Absolutely. VERRRRRY serious.

davidh
August 26th, 2005, 11:16 AM
VERRRRRY

Do you offer free lessons on how to trill R's? or is your keyboard stuck?

Just curious. I've never been able to really trill 'em :-(

David H.

Judy G. Russell
August 26th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I think this may be one of those oddball things that's genetic. Can you turn your tongue sideways? Can you make an O out of your tongue? If not, you may not be able to trill either!

Guerri Stevens
August 26th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I don't have any particular sensitivity toward the closing. But as a former long-time CompuServe member, and regular participant in many forums, I always wonder why one would close. I visited the Netscape/Mozilla forum from time to time, but far from regularly. So I won't seriously miss it, but I am sad to see any CompuServe forum close.