View Full Version : NZ Quake

Mike Landi
February 22nd, 2011, 09:02 AM
Nick, are you okay down there?

sidney
February 22nd, 2011, 07:10 PM

Nick is visiting Christchurch?

We didn't feel anything here in the Auckland area about 760Km (450mi) from the epicenter, but the news is so awful. I work with someone who works remotely from her home in Christchurch. Thankfully she was able to get a phone call through within minutes of the quake to let us know that she was very shaken up but ok.

Mike Landi
February 23rd, 2011, 09:17 AM

We didn't feel anything here in the Auckland area about 760Km (450mi) from the epicenter, but the news is so awful. I work with someone who works remotely from her home in Christchurch. Thankfully she was able to get a phone call through within minutes of the quake to let us know that she was very shaken up but ok.
Good to hear that you are okay. It sounds like the damage is awful.

Mike Landi
February 23rd, 2011, 09:19 AM

No, Mike is too tired when he checks the forums and I confused my TAPCIS people....my apologies. i was thinking that I had not heard from Nick in a while and that I did not know where you were in relation to Christchurch.

Mike
February 27th, 2011, 03:17 AM
We didn't feel anything here in the Auckland area...
Coincidentally, Merle and I were talking about you last weekend (he stopped by to see the progress we've made on the house).

As well, John, the guy who is creating our kitchen counters (concrete) is a Kiwi. Brent couldn't understand why John was insulted when Brent said he was Australian. <g>

Watch your email...

ndebord
March 30th, 2011, 11:14 PM

Mike,

Am I having an out-of-body experience (still here in Williamsburg, Brooklyn).

<VBG>

Mike Landi
March 31st, 2011, 07:20 AM
Am I having an out-of-body experience (still here in Williamsburg, Brooklyn).

Yeah, I tangled my names. Shows what happens when I am in front of the computer instead of getting needed sleep.

Mike
April 7th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Yeah, I tangled my names. Shows what happens when I am in front of the computer instead of getting needed sleep.
Either I'm tired, or trying to read too fast.

I thought I'd read "... instead of guarding sheep."

I thought, "what a job change!" :D

sidney
April 7th, 2011, 05:28 AM
"... instead of guarding sheep."

That's New Zealand, all right!

Mike Landi
April 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Either I'm tired, or trying to read too fast.

I thought I'd read "... instead of guarding sheep."

I thought, "what a job change!" :D

...you know, being an IT developer it sometimes seems that I am guarding sheep. Users from their own mistakes. :D

...did I really say that?

Mike
April 8th, 2011, 03:22 AM
That's New Zealand, all right!
Uh-huh.

At least it's not like Wales, where men are men and sheep are scared.

Mike
April 8th, 2011, 03:23 AM
...you know, being an IT developer it sometimes seems that I am guarding sheep.
...you know, being a former IT development manager, it sometimes seemed that I was herding cats. :cool:

Mike Landi
April 8th, 2011, 07:33 AM
...you know, being a former IT development manager, it sometimes seemed that I was herding cats. :cool:
<LOL> ... ain't it the truth!

ndebord
April 16th, 2011, 04:32 PM

Mike,

Yup, that will happen. I'm not around here as much, but in the same vein, ran across a young man who came from ChristChurch.... says that a week before the earthquake he had a sudden impulse to visit an old girlfriend in my neck of the woods... unplanned, sudden desire that, in hindsight, looks like a great decision. As I once, for no good reason, built a bunker a week before the Tet Offensive, I don't automatically decry such any more.