PDA

View Full Version : Posting photos so they aren't tied to Flickr, etc.

Peter Creasey
January 17th, 2011, 07:00 PM
After using my editing software, I save my photos on my hard drive and then upload them to, say, Flickr before incorporating them into postings on various online sites.

How can I take the photos from either the hard drive or Flickr and format them in a posting so that the photos are no longer linked back? In other words, I want to be able to delete the photos from my hard drive and Flickr but still have the photos viable wherever I have posted them.

I can use the SeaMonkey composer and/or various other processors.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

MollyM/CA
January 17th, 2011, 07:26 PM
As a photographer who learned it the hard way, WHY do you want to delete your photos from your hard drive? I don't care what they're of or why you took them, you'll be sorry some day. With the price of storage pennies per gigabyte you can get an external drive to store them on (while it works). CDs will hold a lot of pictures too.

I'm really sorry I didn't keep: various duds to learn from (the shooting information, the EXIF, is embedded in most digital the photos); records of places and happenings I never dreamed I'd want to refer to ever again; and??

(Judy R's a dynamite photographer and I bet she'd say the same thing. My nephew just got his first good camera and is already bemoaning the "bad" pictures he deep-sixed in the first few weeks with it.)

(If you want the photos to stay up, I assume you're not wanting to get them off Flickr & HD because they're embarrassing--)

As for posting -- it might depend on where they were posted. The Compuserve forums handles photos as attachments, with a thumbnail in the message, and stores them with all the other data -- they're completely independent of the source. So do a few other places.

I bet JGR knows a whole lot about this.

molly

Peter Creasey
January 17th, 2011, 07:55 PM
As a photographer who learned it the hard way, WHY do you want to delete your photos from your hard drive?

Molly, Your point is well taken; however, in this case, the photos are not of lasting consequence. Plus, I like to keep things e.g. hard drive, photos archives, etc. in a neat and pruned condition.

And, yes, I realize that some systems like CIS handle photos as attachments.

I'm looking for a way to post the photos on most all sites without them linking back to my own storage (hard drive, Flickr area, etc.) so that I can delete them from my storage but still have them be viable where I have posted them.

Possibly complicating the issue, I am not a html programmer (despite my prior programming/systems analysis days in other languages and systems).

Dan in Saint Louis
January 18th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I'm looking for a way to post the photos on most all sites without them linking back to my own storage (hard drive, Flickr area, etc.) so that I can delete them from my storage but still have them be viable where I have posted them.
Look at the problem from the other end. The image is a file. It has be stored somewhere. If the service does not work like CompuServe or this forum, who store their own files, then you are responsible for finding a storage site.

Maybe somewhere in the Google "cloud computing" mess?

Peter Creasey
January 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Look at the problem from the other end. The image is a file. It has be stored somewhere. If the service does not work like CompuServe or this forum, who store their own files, then you are responsible for finding a storage site.

Dan, I guess my thinking is that I insert these photos into a file which I then post in various places. I was hoping there was some way to REALLY insert the photos so they are part of the file being posted rather than just have the links to the photos as part of the file. Thus, the photos would be stored as part of the whole posted/stored file.

Dan in Saint Louis
January 18th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I was hoping there was some way to REALLY insert the photos so they are part of the file being posted rather than just have the links to the photos as part of the file. Thus, the photos would be stored as part of the whole posted/stored file.
Well, yes. If you can attach any kind of file at all you should be able to post the common graphics formats (BMP, JPG, TIF, PNG, GIF). If it is a presentation of sorts that includes both text and graphics you could post the finished page as MSWord DOC, or PDF.

If the site does not allow attachments and your only choice is links, that leaves you responsible for storage.

When you attach something on THIS forum the file is actually sent out, and stored on the FORUM server. On the other hand, the forum at http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=34 for example does not accept attachments so links are the only option.

davidh
January 19th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I suppose a possibly relevant question with regard to the issue of web hosting of images is "How long in time is the hosting service likely to last?"

I raise this question because the free web hosting services of some well known free hosting providers have been closed down. The examples of AOL "hometown", Compuserve "ourworld" and Yahoo Geocities come to mind.

I suppose that if one does not log-in to web hosting service (e.g. a free one) for a long period of time the account might be closed, or at least emptied/flushed-out.

If one thinks that a document or image would likely be of long term value to the Internet communities, perhaps the document or file might be more likely to survive in a group site with multiple moderators who would be likely to carry on the 'mission'.

I suppose that if a web site has some of its files archived onto archive.org then they would be likely to last indefinitely. And could be linked to even when existing only there.

Peter Creasey
January 19th, 2011, 08:58 AM
If it is a presentation of sorts that includes both text and graphics you could post the finished page as MSWord DOC

Dan, I believe this is the answer...one I should have thought of myself. I rarely add graphics to my word documents; thus, this didn't occur to me.

In this case, I do have to compose text and graphics then send it for posting. Saving it as a MSWord Doc should be feasible.

Thanks for your customary helpfulness.