PDA

View Full Version : The Boys of Summer

Mike Landi
August 18th, 2005, 09:30 AM
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/nyy.gif

I'll just sit here, in my little corner of the TapRoom, and mull over the wasted possibilities of the Yankees.

Detroit takes two games from Boston, and our bullpen ruins two leads against Tampa Bay, the last place team! This has been a star-crossed year.

Judy G. Russell
August 18th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I absolutely could NOT believe last night's game. The Red Sox lost and the As lost and we had a chance to pick up a full game on both. So what do we do? Blow it in late innings.

First off, Small gives away the lead. Ouch.

Then Cano's mistake. Now that I can understand. The kid is young and he's going to make mistakes. But oh ouch...

Then Tanyon Sturtz. Oh ouch ouch OUCH! That was sooooo painful. How the #$%@$ did he manage to do THAT???

Sigh... for the life of this team, they cannot seem to beat the Devil Rays -- a team nobody else in baseball is having any trouble with at all.

And who are we looking at now? (Gulp.) The league-leading White Sox.

Mike Landi
August 18th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Tanyon Sturtz. Oh ouch ouch OUCH! That was sooooo painful. How the #$%@$ did he manage to do THAT???

What a choke! Balks, wild pitches and walks. King George must have blown a gasket...and I don't blame him.

Judy G. Russell
August 18th, 2005, 06:46 PM
What a choke! Balks, wild pitches and walks. King George must have blown a gasket...and I don't blame him.
I would not have wanted to be Tanyon Sturtz last night. Then again it ain't fun being a Yankees fan today. A former student of mine is a Mets fan and just couldn't resist getting in touch to let me know (whimper) how much he enjoyed the Yanks last night.

Sigh...

The brat sure is lucky he's a FORMER student.

Mike Landi
August 18th, 2005, 08:09 PM
The brat sure is lucky he's a FORMER student.

As if the Muts are any better!

We still have a mathematical chance (a low one) of making the playoffs.

The Mets have a great chance to be the doormats!

Judy G. Russell
August 18th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Well, at least we're not Royals fans...

Mike Landi
August 19th, 2005, 09:00 AM
at least we're not Royals fans...

<sigh> That's tough. Losing that much.

Hey, the Angles did the job last night. Now, we have to win in Chicago. (Yeah, right.)

Good luck, Moose. It should be a good game.

Judy G. Russell
August 19th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Hey, the Angles did the job last night.
We can use all the help we can get.

chm
August 20th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Er, go Angels.

Hey, the Angels beat the Red Sox today. : )

I'm starting to think World Series... : )

Cubs fan (once a Cubs fan, always a Cubs fan), plus fan of the stupidest-named team in baseball - the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim,

chm

Judy G. Russell
August 20th, 2005, 08:13 PM
And believe me we are VERY grateful to the stupidly-named team for beating the Red Sox today. Coupled with our win over the White Sox (two in a row!!), we're now only three games out.

Mike Landi
August 20th, 2005, 09:51 PM
he stupidest-named team in baseball - the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

I don't get that one at all.

I was expecting the team to change its name to the "Mouseketeers", but I guess that would be too much. <gd&r>

Mike Landi
August 20th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Coupled with our win over the White Sox (two in a row!!), we're now only three games out.

And I whined about us getting some reject pitcher from Colorado. This Chicon can pitch. Apparently, he is also humble. There is http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=250820104 (a story I read on Yahoo! that said he watched Moose pitch and made notes of what Moose did.

Could we actually have a chance at the post-season?

Judy G. Russell
August 20th, 2005, 09:58 PM
And I whined about us getting some reject pitcher from Colorado. This Chicon can pitch.
Amazing, isn't he? And he can do it more than once! Thank heavens...

Could we actually have a chance at the post-season?
Dunno, but it'd sure be nice...

Mike Landi
August 21st, 2005, 08:17 PM
Yanks, ChiSox, Sunday, Contreras, Johnson...

Randy gives up FOUR, count 'em, FOUR HRs in one inning.

ARGRHHHHH!

Judy G. Russell
August 22nd, 2005, 01:40 AM
Yanks, ChiSox, Sunday, Contreras, Johnson... Randy gives up FOUR, count 'em, FOUR HRs in one inning. ARGRHHHHH!
Johnson has been one great big EXPENSIVE disappointment.

Mike Landi
August 22nd, 2005, 08:31 AM

Disgusting. What happened yesterday? How do you go from nine in a row to three HRs in a row?

Of course, Boston won, so we are back to 4 back.

Is this Torre's problem? I don't think so. I think George is reaping what he sowed.

Judy G. Russell
August 22nd, 2005, 01:50 PM
Is this Torre's problem? I don't think so. I think George is reaping what he sowed.
Agreed. Look, we can't -- simply can not -- give away young players all the time and assume we can buy seasoned talent when we need it. George has got to get that through his thick skull.

Mike Landi
August 22nd, 2005, 02:44 PM
Agreed. Look, we can't -- simply can not -- give away young players all the time and assume we can buy seasoned talent when we need it. George has got to get that through his thick skull.

George wants to win every game, every year. He thinks that money can buy winning. That does not work every time and you cannot sacrifice the future for short term gains.

We have to make up four games on Boston. I just don't see us doing it. Could we sweep the Sox? I don't think so.

Judy G. Russell
August 22nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
We have to make up four games on Boston. I just don't see us doing it. Could we sweep the Sox? I don't think so.
Unfortunately, I have to agree. I don't see us taking Boston this year. Too much upset, too many player problems. I'm not sure I even see the Yanks in the post-season, much less as division champs.

Mike Landi
August 23rd, 2005, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure I even see the Yanks in the post-season, much less as division champs.

I agree, except that now we are in a three way tie for the wild card. The way Wright pitched yesterday, I wonder. He may be the number two pitcher (behind Moose). Johnson is #3 or #4 (Chicon is the other). I'm not sure if I'd rather have Lieter or Small as #5.

I think we need to see how the last two series with Boston go.

Judy G. Russell
August 23rd, 2005, 10:48 AM
He may be the number two pitcher (behind Moose). Johnson is #3 or #4 (Chicon is the other). I'm not sure if I'd rather have Lieter or Small as #5.
Can you believe it... Johnson being dropped down that far? Who woulda thunk it?

I think we need to see how the last two series with Boston go.
That, as my S-I-L would say, is a True Fact.

Mike Landi
August 23rd, 2005, 12:16 PM
Where's Nick? We need at least a third person on this thread? <g>

Wayne Scott
August 23rd, 2005, 12:46 PM
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/nyy.gif

I'll just sit here, in my little corner of the TapRoom, and mull over the wasted possibilities of the Yankees.

Detroit takes two games from Boston, and our bullpen ruins two leads against Tampa Bay, the last place team! This has been a star-crossed year.
Go Angels!

California born and bred.

Curm

Wayne Scott
August 23rd, 2005, 12:48 PM
Big, Yes.
Expensive, YES!
Disappointment, Not for a Dodger fan. We didn't get him in the bidding war.

Curm

Wayne Scott
August 23rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Er, go Angels.

Hey, the Angels beat the Red Sox today. : )

I'm starting to think World Series... : )

Cubs fan (once a Cubs fan, always a Cubs fan), plus fan of the stupidest-named team in baseball - the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim,

chm
Of course when they were in Los Angeles, the Angels made sense. I'm so old I remember the Los Angeles Angels of the old Pacific Coast League, a farm team of the Chicago Cubs. I was a Hollywood Stars fan back then.
When the American League invaded LA, they named the local team after the old PCL team. I made sense.
The Anaheim team should have been called The Oranges or The Grapefruits or, maybe, The Lemons.
The new name is just silly.
I am a long time fan of the great manager who was once a great Dodger catcher.

Wayne Scott
August 23rd, 2005, 12:54 PM
I don't get that one at all.

I was expecting the team to change its name to the "Mouseketeers", but I guess that would be too much. <gd&r>
Far better than what they chose!

Judy G. Russell
August 23rd, 2005, 03:07 PM
I dunno. Lemme go yell at him to get his tail in here. (We do have Wayne complaining about the name of the team there in La La Land...)

Judy G. Russell
August 23rd, 2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah, that must make you feel better about "losing" that war. Sigh...

Judy G. Russell
August 23rd, 2005, 03:14 PM
I have a few places I'd like the Angels to go...

Er... did I say that out loud?

Mike Landi
August 23rd, 2005, 03:39 PM
I dunno. Lemme go yell at him to get his tail in here.

<g> We need some more muck raked around here.

(We do have Wayne complaining about the name of the team there in La La Land...)

Yep. Just as I complained, Wayne jumped in. Hey, that's only the fifth time I was wrong today. I'm below my average! <g>

Judy G. Russell
August 23rd, 2005, 07:27 PM
Hey, that's only the fifth time I was wrong today. I'm below my average! <g>
We'll see what we can do to up the stats... and I don't mean the baseball stats (which aren't looking so good here in the 5th...).

Mike Landi
August 23rd, 2005, 08:49 PM
Tied at the top of the ninth. Mo on and throwing well.

Come 'on Yanks! (Blasted Royals are losing. Are we surprised?)

Mike Landi
August 23rd, 2005, 09:12 PM
THE YANKEES WIN!!!!!

(and, OhMyGod!) take the Wild Card Lead!

Judy G. Russell
August 23rd, 2005, 10:12 PM
THE YANKEES WIN!!!!!
(and, OhMyGod!) take the Wild Card Lead!
Tied with Cleveland (but the As are now 1.0 behind).

Now... who the #%$# is Felix Escalona????

Mike Landi
August 24th, 2005, 08:10 AM
who the #%$# is Felix Escalona????

Backup infielder, I guess. He came through in the clutch!

Judy G. Russell
August 24th, 2005, 09:12 AM
[Felix Escalona] came through in the clutch!
That he did -- thank heavens! I think Mariano is getting tired...

Mike Landi
August 24th, 2005, 09:14 AM
I think Mariano is getting tired...

I think you are right. We need to let him rest some. We will need him for Boston!

Judy G. Russell
August 24th, 2005, 09:25 AM
And let's not forget six more games against (sigh) Tampa Bay... a team we have beaten only four times this season!

Mike Landi
August 24th, 2005, 12:16 PM
And let's not forget six more games against (sigh) Tampa Bay... a team we have beaten only four times this season!

<shudder>

Mike Landi
August 25th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks to KC for beating the Sox! We took it on the chin last night, but KC rose up and beat the Red Sox in the 11th.

Still 3.5 back....

Judy G. Russell
August 25th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Sigh... I hate to mention any such thing, but we really ain't making it into the playoffs by having other teams beat our rivals...

Mike Landi
August 25th, 2005, 02:48 PM
We will with Shawn Chicon pitching as he did today! Put him in as the #1 starter! He is the most consistent person out there. Small #2, then Moose, Pavano and Johnson. Put Lieter in the pen!

Judy G. Russell
August 25th, 2005, 03:42 PM
<whine>
Those control issues in the 3rd and the 6th were worrisome...
</whine>

However, he's better than Johnson has been!

Mike Landi
August 26th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Johnson was supposed to be the #1 starter and he has been nothing of the sort.

Chacon was supposed to be a stop-gap, fill-in pitcher and he has been nothing of the sort.

Now, again thanks to KC, we are within striking distance to Boston. I hope we can beat up on KC. (Wouldn't that p-off Boston? <g>)

Judy G. Russell
August 26th, 2005, 10:09 AM
The fact that our team isn't 11 games back tends to p-off Boston...

Judy G. Russell
August 26th, 2005, 11:00 PM
So... who was that masked man out there tonight???? Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see this pitcher out there more often. But man... that sure wasn't the Randy Johnson we've seen before this year!

Mike Landi
August 27th, 2005, 09:18 AM
So... who was that masked man out there tonight???? Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see this pitcher out there more often. But man... that sure wasn't the Randy Johnson we've seen before this year!

Yeah, who was that? Some guy destine for a small, upstate NY town, I think. I last saw someone like that playing in the dessert southwest.

...I hope he comes back. <g>

I like Bernie's performance also. A shame that he will be a DH now that we got Matt Lawton from the Cubs. The NY Post says Lawton will be the left fielder and Matsui will move to center.

Judy G. Russell
August 27th, 2005, 02:13 PM
I last saw someone like that playing in the dessert southwest. ...I hope he comes back. <g>
You and me both! I can't believe his stats are 12-8 on the year. With his talent he really ought to be maybe 15-5 or even better...

I like Bernie's performance also. A shame that he will be a DH now that we got Matt Lawton from the Cubs. The NY Post says Lawton will be the left fielder and Matsui will move to center.
I hear you... but the truth is Bernie really isn't all that good an outfielder any more. I hope he gets to hit... a lot! ... but we need somebody with legs out there.

Mike Landi
August 27th, 2005, 02:47 PM
and this day, we are being beat by a rookie and Kansas City!

We just can't make that run to take out Boston!

Mike Landi
August 27th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Wait...

Hold that thought.

They did it! They took the one opportunity that KC gave them and then scored 5,

count 'em 5

runs in the bottom of the ninth to win!

That will help confidence, and put a shiver into Beantown.

Judy G. Russell
August 27th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Hard to believe, isn't it??? (Nice, but still... hard to believe!)

Judy G. Russell
August 27th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Sometimes all it takes is one bad mistake... like a botched DP.

ndebord
August 27th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Mike & Judy,

I know it's just the KC Royals the Yankees are beating up on now, but still...KC did manage to humble the Beantown idiots in the previous series and the way the Yankees are playing now FINALLY gives me hope. Gone are the early season bumblers; the hot/cold players, the tattered pitching staff.

This group has become a team. Battlers, both in the offense and defense, as the pitching has finally come around. I can't wait to see the Bosox series to find out how good they really are!

Nick

(sheepishly entering this conversation a tad late)

Judy G. Russell
August 27th, 2005, 10:44 PM
'Bout time you got here!

I don't think my stomach (or my nerves) can handle six games against Boston before the end of this season...

(And thank you, Tigers... we are now 1.5 games out...)

ndebord
August 28th, 2005, 11:30 AM
'Bout time you got here!

I don't think my stomach (or my nerves) can handle six games against Boston before the end of this season...

(And thank you, Tigers... we are now 1.5 games out...)

Judy,

Six games against those beantown braggarts sounds about right to me. We need to beat them up before the end of the season, to let them know that last year was an abberation.

Meanwhile did you see Randy Johnson pitch? Like the Big Unit of old! Whooh! Whooh! (Small, OTOH, doesn't seem to be very good in middle relief. Go figure. Maybe he was a starting pitcher all along. And A-ROD and Shef and Jeter and and and. The team is going good now.

Nick

Judy G. Russell
August 28th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Six games against those beantown braggarts sounds about right to me. We need to beat them up before the end of the season, to let them know that last year was an abberation.
Oooooh... remember that line from Han Solo in Star Wars I: "Great, kid! Now don't get cocky!"

ndebord
August 28th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Oooooh... remember that line from Han Solo in Star Wars I: "Great, kid! Now don't get cocky!"

Judy,

Nope. Not getting cocky, just looking at this year's team and seeing some fire in the belly that hasn't been there in a few years. Adversity has done well by them I think. Not to mention that they have 2 good lefthanded starting pitchers in the lineup. That has always been a determining factor in Yankee success in the past. Leiter is Mr. Excitement in there. Lots of walks, but when he's on...look out!

Judy G. Russell
August 28th, 2005, 02:52 PM
I sincerely hope you're right. I'm not so sure myself.

ndebord
August 28th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I sincerely hope you're right. I'm not so sure myself.

Judy,

Buck up! This is finally a complete team. Lawton gives them depth in the outfield and Bernie can DH most of the time. Giambi had 7 rbis today! Matsui played center!

And the pitching. Leiter had this to say about how it feels to play on the Yankees again: ``I look at this as a second life,'' Leiter said. ``Every game feels like an event. Every pitch matters. I need that. It elevates your aggressiveness.''

Johnson, Leiter, Musina...3 potentially dominant pitchers who don't spit the bit.

<g>

Judy G. Russell
August 28th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I'm not tossing in the towel, but I'm not counting on the division title either.

Mike Landi
August 28th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Did you check out Mr. Giambi today? Seven RBIs, 2 HRs. Not bad for a day's work!

ndebord
August 29th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Did you check out Mr. Giambi today? Seven RBIs, 2 HRs. Not bad for a day's work!

Mike,

Not bad...not bad at all. He's been in a slump. Let's hope this can carry through October.

Mike Landi
August 29th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Let's hope this can carry through October.

I hope so. Even if he is a threat to do that, he is very useful getting walks.

ndebord
August 29th, 2005, 05:38 PM
I hope so. Even if he is a threat to do that, he is very useful getting walks.

Mike,

Yes, Giambi is close to leading the league in onbase percentage!

Mike Landi
August 29th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Giambi is close to leading the league in onbase percentage!

I believe he is, by a wide margin. That type of threat...not making out...is very, very helpful in tight games against good pitching, which is exactly what we will see in the (hopefully) playoffs.

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Losing ground tonight, it appears. Everybody's winning except us, darn it!

Mike Landi
August 30th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Losing ground tonight, it appears. Everybody's winning except us, darn it!

Moose stunk, again. As Nick says, he is streaky and he is in a bad streak now.

However,

Mr. Giambi rose up to carry the team. In the end, we had a lead from the sixth inning on. Thank you, Jason!

Judy G. Russell
August 30th, 2005, 11:15 AM

However,

Mr. Giambi rose up to carry the team. In the end, we had a lead from the sixth inning on. Thank you, Jason!
Thank you, Jason, indeed! :D :D :D

And everybody else got in there too. Cano getting on base. A-Rod homering. Lawton homering.

Whew....

Mike Landi
August 30th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Thank you, Jason, indeed! :D :D :D

And everybody else got in there too. Cano getting on base. A-Rod homering. Lawton homering.

Whew....

It looks like the Yankees are getting things in order. We just need to stabilize the rotation a bit. (Understatement!)

Judy G. Russell
August 30th, 2005, 01:50 PM
We just need to stabilize the rotation a bit.(Understatement!)
Understatement -- yeah, just a bit. Like saying "Katrina was a little storm..."

Mike Landi
August 30th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Understatement -- yeah, just a bit. Like saying "Katrina was a little storm..."

<shudder>

I fear we have not heard 10% of what was ravaged in New Orleans, Biloxi and Alabama....

Mike Landi
August 30th, 2005, 07:26 PM
The Yankees signed Mark Bellhorn?????

Talk about "Through the Looking Glass", Bellhorn was a PITA to us last year. Tonight, he starts at third base (to give A-Rod a break).

I hate to jump the gun here, but it looks like the Red Sox are starting there usual (except last year) late season fade.

How #$%^#! can they be? They let Embre and not Bellhorn move to us? How short-sighted! (Good for us!) The Sox had to know that those players would wind up having the impetus to play well, down the stretch, against the Red Sox!

Nick! Where are you? Tell me where I am missing something here. This looks like another colossal stupid move by Boston.
:eek:

Judy G. Russell
August 30th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Tell me where I am missing something here. This looks like another colossal stupid move by Boston.
Hard to tell. Do they know something we don't... or the other way around... or...?

Mike Landi
August 30th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Hard to tell. Do they know something we don't... or the other way around... or...?

Just taking the chance is stupid. Giving away a player who has an immediate reason to seek revenge and prove himself is stooooopid! :D

Judy G. Russell
August 30th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Giving away a player who has an immediate reason to seek revenge and prove himself is stooooopid! :D
No doubt about that!

(Come ON, Devil Rays!)

ndebord
August 30th, 2005, 11:19 PM

However,

Mike,

Very good game tonight. It may be habitual...coming back in the later innings and a good omen for the post-season. And Small! Looks like he has made the adjustment to long relief, which was desperately needed as Moose, as you so aptly put it...threw a 4 inning stinker. Geez and he was going so good there for a while.

ndebord
August 30th, 2005, 11:21 PM
The Yankees signed Mark Bellhorn?????

Talk about "Through the Looking Glass", Bellhorn was a PITA to us last year. Tonight, he starts at third base (to give A-Rod a break).

I hate to jump the gun here, but it looks like the Red Sox are starting there usual (except last year) late season fade.

How #$%^#! can they be? They let Embre and not Bellhorn move to us? How short-sighted! (Good for us!) The Sox had to know that those players would wind up having the impetus to play well, down the stretch, against the Red Sox!

Nick! Where are you? Tell me where I am missing something here. This looks like another colossal stupid move by Boston.
:eek:

I don't know. Belhorn and Embree both seem to be cheap pickups (anybody got the goods on the cost of these players???)

I hear Boston wants Treschel (sp) from the Mets. Their starting pitching is not looking as good as our is right now. (Knock on wood after our bizarre season so far).

I'm at a loss here.

Mike Landi
August 31st, 2005, 08:28 AM
(Knock on wood after our bizarre season so far).

I'm at a loss here.

Well, Chicon finally had a bad game. And, of course, Boston won.

2 1/2 back again. <sigh>

Mike Landi
August 31st, 2005, 08:33 AM
(Come ON, Devil Rays!)

Drat!!! Boston won.

Judy G. Russell
August 31st, 2005, 11:21 AM
Sigh... couldn't they just go ahead and meltdown, please???

Mike Landi
August 31st, 2005, 01:36 PM
Sigh... couldn't they just go ahead and meltdown, please???

That would be too easy for us, wouldn't it? (and boring <g>)

Judy G. Russell
August 31st, 2005, 03:14 PM
That would be too easy for us, wouldn't it? (and boring <g>)
I could use a little more boring... 2.5 games more to be precise (or 3 or 4...).

Bill Hirst
August 31st, 2005, 05:38 PM
I could use a little more boring... 2.5 games more to be precise (or 3 or 4...).
If it helps any, I haven't rooted for the Bosox since Yastrzemski played left field.

Judy G. Russell
August 31st, 2005, 05:46 PM
If it helps any, I haven't rooted for the Bosox since Yastrzemski played left field.
That makes me feel MUCH better!

Mike Landi
August 31st, 2005, 06:48 PM
That makes me feel MUCH better!

<cough>!

Judy G. Russell
August 31st, 2005, 10:18 PM
What, you want him to root for the Red Sox now???

ndebord
August 31st, 2005, 11:48 PM

Judy,

Two and 1/2 now. We won and so did Beantown. Johnson threw a masterpiece and the final score was 2-0. So we took 2 out of 3 in Seattle. If we can keep this up, it will come down to head to head against the smelly idiots.

Judy G. Russell
September 1st, 2005, 12:20 AM
Sigh... I wish Johnson would pitch like that all the time. I really was hoping for a 20-game winner out of him this season. I guess that was too much to hope for.

Mike Landi
September 1st, 2005, 08:29 AM
What, you want him to root for the Red Sox now???

No, but he did root for Boston at one time. <g>

ndebord
September 1st, 2005, 09:36 AM
Sigh... I wish Johnson would pitch like that all the time. I really was hoping for a 20-game winner out of him this season. I guess that was too much to hope for.

Judy,

The pundits say it was the first year syndrome. I wonder about his back, his age and ability to work with a new pitching coach and catcher. Anyhow, he has said it was a mechanical flaw, not anything else and that it is now fixed. So if he is gonna get hot, now's the time!

Judy G. Russell
September 1st, 2005, 09:56 AM
Hey, people can repent!

Judy G. Russell
September 1st, 2005, 09:57 AM
... if he is gonna get hot, now's the time!
I'll drink to that!

Bill Hirst
September 1st, 2005, 07:06 PM
No, but he did root for Boston at one time. <g>
I will not apologize for the 2003 World Series.
Go Marlins!

Judy G. Russell
September 1st, 2005, 07:39 PM
You don't have to apologize. Repent, maybe, but not apologize.

Judy G. Russell
September 1st, 2005, 09:57 PM
So... what's Tanyon Sturtze's excuse this time? He was worried about Jared Wright? (Can you believe that? If it wasn't for bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck... Wright finally healthy and pitching well, and now this!)

Bill Hirst
September 1st, 2005, 10:20 PM
You don't have to apologize. Repent, maybe, but not apologize.
Repeat? OK, let's do it again!
Go Marlins!

Judy G. Russell
September 1st, 2005, 11:02 PM
I can think of a few places they should go...

Bill Hirst
September 1st, 2005, 11:21 PM
I can think of a few places they should go...
I dunno. How hot are the fastballs "down there"?

RayB (France)
September 2nd, 2005, 02:21 AM
Judy -

I thought of you this morning -

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/comics/Mallard_Fillmore.dtl

Judy G. Russell
September 2nd, 2005, 09:40 AM
I hear they're smoking...

Judy G. Russell
September 2nd, 2005, 09:41 AM
ROFL!!! Yeah, brother, are my sensibilities offended by that one!

ndebord
September 3rd, 2005, 08:50 PM
Small wins 7-0 with a 9 inning shutout, walked 2, and struck out 3. They gotta keep this guy in the starting lineup. They just gotta.

Mike Landi
September 3rd, 2005, 10:49 PM
Small wins 7-0 with a 9 inning shutout, walked 2, and struck out 3. They gotta keep this guy in the starting lineup. They just gotta.

Considering Lieter's performance yesterday, I think Small and Chacon are in the lineup, with Wright, Johnson and (I hope) Moose.

I guess it is Chacon tomorrow?

Judy G. Russell
September 3rd, 2005, 11:08 PM
That's what I was thinking: after yesterday, how could he NOT be in the starting lineup???

Mike Landi
September 4th, 2005, 09:06 AM
That's what I was thinking: after yesterday, how could he NOT be in the starting lineup???

This guy has done everything the Yankees have asked of him. He and Chacon have saved the season. I can't think of any two players who have 'earned their way' onto the team more than those two.

Frankly, I feel more comfortable with Small and Chacon pitching than the other three.

Judy G. Russell
September 4th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Frankly, I feel more comfortable with Small and Chacon pitching than the other three.
Amazing, isn't it? Who'da thunk it...

ndebord
September 4th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Considering Lieter's performance yesterday, I think Small and Chacon are in the lineup, with Wright, Johnson and (I hope) Moose.

I guess it is Chacon tomorrow?

Johnson, Small and Chacon. Wright? Maybe after that blow to the neck. Mussina MAY be out for the rest of the year. Lieter? You just don't know what you're going to get, but he'll be out there so long as he can do .500 baseball. They don't have anyone else.

Small only won his last game in relief, plus pitched a shutout when given a start once again. He was using both sides of the plate and nicely mixing fastballs, sinkers and changes to such an extent that Oakland was complaining that they "really" should have been hitting him. The same kind of complaints they made about Maddux for years.

ndebord
September 4th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Mike,

ML> I guess it is Chacon tomorrow?

Oh yes, it certainly was Chacon and he wasn't wild this time around. He pitched 6 2/3s innings, gave up 2 runs, 5 hits, walked and struck out 3.

Gordon pitched 1 1/3 innings and gave up his usual run and Rivera came in and despite a bad call at first and a base on balls, shut them out in the 9th.

Yanks win 7-3!

Judy G. Russell
September 5th, 2005, 12:04 AM
And it sure doesn't hurt when the first at bat, first pitch, is a homer by Jeter!

ndebord
September 5th, 2005, 10:37 AM
And it sure doesn't hurt when the first at bat, first pitch, is a homer by Jeter!

Judy,

You're absolutely right. I've not been thinking about the hitting much. But Jeter is on fire: on the field and in his belly.

Did you see that quote by Jeter? He said something to the effect that it's not the post season, but the championship he wants: a not so subtle reminder to everyone on the team what the Yankees have done in the past and what they should be focusing on.

Mike Landi
September 5th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Amazing.

Now, Boston lost so we are 3 back. This month will drive me nuts!

Mike Landi
September 5th, 2005, 08:49 PM
I hope we get Wright back. We need him. Moose? Who knows.

Lieter has to be our #5 and THAT is scary.