PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird and Remote Images

Guerri Stevens
August 17th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I got a message today that said there was a remote image that was blocked by T-bird. There was a view button for it, and I clicked it. But never got the image! Where does it go?

I believe that I've set T-bird not to automatically deliver remote images, and that's the way I want it. Is this a bad idea?

Gary Maltzen
August 17th, 2005, 11:02 PM
I believe that I've set T-bird not to automatically deliver remote images, and that's the way I want it. Is this a bad idea?
This is a GOOD idea - as spammers can write the image name so that they can tell which e-mail address looked at the message and virus writers can make the image actually be a program that infects your system.

Dan in Saint Louis
August 18th, 2005, 01:29 PM
There was a view button for it, and I clicked it. But never got the image! Where does it go?
Chances are if it did not appear after you clicked, the server it was housed on was overloaded -- by other email recipients who did NOT have image blocking available.

Guerri Stevens
August 18th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Chances are if it did not appear after you clicked, the server it was housed on was overloaded -- by other email recipients who did NOT have image blocking available.
Does this mean I can't get the image now? Not that it was likely to be terrifically important.

Dan in Saint Louis
August 18th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Does this mean I can't get the image now? Not that it was likely to be terrifically important.
My best guess? It depends on how busy that server is. If the spammer didn't pay his bill the host may have deleted the whole site.

Mike
August 24th, 2005, 12:35 AM
There's a good chance the image was a clear gif, which many senders (spammers or otherwise) put into messages, either to align the content of an HTML message, or more frequently, to see whether the message was read.

In general, unless you know that you want the sender to know that you've read the message, don't view remote images.