PDA

View Full Version : Ressurecting old forums

John Cutmore
August 17th, 2005, 03:30 PM
I have a huge archive of forums, those that were current at the end of the HMI service are still available in my various Groups configurations. However, I also have a number of forum archives that are not shown in any group.
I have tried to resurrect one such forum by entering the old Forum name (UKMED) and the GO Word CIS:UKMED, no problems so far.

But, when I try to link the new forum to the old folder (D:\Ozwin\Forums\UKMED) I cannot get it to pick up the old message files.
All the files appear to be in the folder, .MIX, .MSG, .CUP, .OBS and .PRG

I have set the forum file options to point to this folder and am now at a loss at what else to try.

I know I can read all the files using a text editor but it is not as convenient as using Ozwin with it's great search facility.

Regards

sidney
August 26th, 2005, 04:38 AM
when I try to link the new forum to the old folder (D:\Ozwin\Forums\UKMED) I cannot get it to pick up the old message files

John, I apologize for taking so long to notice and respond to your question.

What error message do you get when you try it? Try to let me know the exact wording.

When you go into Config | Current Forum, and select the File Paths tab, do you see D:\Ozwin\Forums\UKMED in the Path For Forum Data Files box? If you do, what happens if you select the forum in the main group window, then use the menu Forums | Other Message Files | Select File? Does the file open dialog start out in the D:\OzWin\Forums\UKMED directory as you would expect? Can you then select ukmed.msg and read the messages in it?

-- sidney

John Cutmore
August 26th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Sidney,

No apologies necessary, it is not an urgent problem; I would just like to be able to resurrect some of the old forums for reference to postings made a long time ago.

In Config/File Paths/ the path is D:\OZWIN2\FORUMS\UKMED which is the correct path to the folder.

If I click on the Icon in the main window I get: No messages available.

If I then click on Forums>Other Message Files>Select File it brings up the box showing the Folders D:\ then OZWIN2 then FORUMS and, finally UKMED. In the left hand "Files" column id shows ukmed.* (Upper and lower cases shown as they appear in Ozwin.)

Clicking on the UKMED folder and then on the OK button brings no response.

I appreciate that I am probably overlooking something obvious but, for the moment, I am stumped.

Oh, and, if I select messages in folders everything works fine as do the forums that were active when the system closed and a few forums that were closed earlier but not removed from my groups. It only seems to be a problems with forums where I have deleted them from groups but left all the messages folders intact.

Kind regards

John

sidney
August 27th, 2005, 06:47 PM
If I then click on Forums>Other Message Files>Select File it brings up the box showing the Folders D:\ then OZWIN2 then FORUMS and, finally UKMED. In the left hand "Files" column id shows ukmed.* (Upper and lower cases shown as they appear in Ozwin.)

If everything were correct you would also see in the left hand box under the box that says ukmed.* a list of all files in the d:\ozwin2\forums\ukmed directory that have names beginning with ukmed. In particular there should be a file named ukmed.msg in that directory.

This indicates that you do not have your message file, ukmed.msg, in that directory. Find where it and the other ukmed.* files are and either move them to d:\ozwin2\forums\ukmed directory, or else change the file paths in the ukmed configuration to be where they actually are.

-- sidney

John Cutmore
August 28th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Sidney,
The path really is as follows:
D:\Ozwin2\Forums\UKMED
This is where all the forums reside including the ones that work correctly.
The files are:
UKMEDICA.CAT
UKMEDICA.CUP
UKMEDICA.MIX
UKMEDICA.MSG
UKMEDICA.OBS
UKMEDICA.PRG
UKMEDICA.SCT

And............. After typing all of that the penny dropped. I had set the GO: word to UKMED and not UKMEDICAL because the folder was UKMED I never gave it a thought that the GO word should be any different.
Sorry to have taken up your time and thanks for your help.
Kind regards
John

sidney
August 29th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Sorry to have taken up your time and thanks for your help

No problem. The answer was only obvious after you saw it. Getting to the point of seeing it was the problem :)

-- sidney