View Full Version : Adobe to 'sandbox' its Reader

davidh
July 21st, 2010, 02:39 PM
Adobe to Implement Reader Sandbox
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2010/07/adobe_to_implement_reader_sand.php

Peter Creasey
July 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Adobe to Implement Reader Sandbox

David, Maybe I scanned the article too fast but I don't understand what this means to the user for justs reading regular PDFs.

Also, I'm still on Adobe Reader 8.x due to the change I've heard about whereby loading PDFs is somehow different in a browser!?! Have you upgraded to 9.x? If so, how is it different and are you happy with it?

davidh
July 22nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
David, Maybe I scanned the article too fast but I don't understand what this means to the user for justs reading regular PDFs.

Also, I'm still on Adobe Reader 8.x due to the change I've heard about whereby loading PDFs is somehow different in a browser!?! Have you upgraded to 9.x? If so, how is it different and are you happy with it?
I don't think it is necessarily wise to make a big distinction between whether one is reading a PDF within a browser or outside of a browser. In any case one should try to get the latest patches to almost ANY widely used application that one happens to use.

Of course one might be somewhat more likely to be exposed to an attack on a Adobe vulnerability when viewing an unknown PDF from an unknown web site than when viewing a PDF sent to you by a trusted person.

Perhaps one might lower one's risk by avoiding Adobe and using FoxIt , etc. but one still needs to keep things patched. Everything almost will be vulnerable sooner or later.

The other issue you mentioned, I don't know about it. I forgot why I am still on Adobe Reader 8? If they ever stop patching ver. 8, I'll go to whatever is the latest that my XP can run.

The new Reader will have a dedicated sandbox feature built into it.

FWIW, I have no actual experience with sandbox programs. I know there is SandboxIE that can be used with MS IE or with other programs.

Dell apparently also has another free general purpose sandbox program maybe like SandboxIE, but I forget the name.

Peter Creasey
July 23rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
I forgot why I am still on Adobe Reader 8? If they ever stop patching ver. 8, I'll go to whatever is the latest that my XP can run.

David, Exactly my position at this time also!