PDA

View Full Version : Mailwasher, anybody using it?

ndebord
June 14th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Am thinking about adding this app into the mix, but before I do, wonder if anyone here has tried it or has an opinion on it.

Tks,

Jeff
June 15th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Am thinking about adding this app into the mix, but before I do, wonder if anyone here has tried it or has an opinion on it.

Tks,

I've had it for a while, Nick, but I've never used it for its written purpose of dealing with spam. What I occasionally use it for is an interesting ability to fake my own death. It calls that "bounce". I just sent from myemail2 to myemail1, told MW to check that mailbox, and then ticked "bounce". That sent this back.

To: <djg@myemail2>
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:32:46 -0600

The original message was received at Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:32:46 -0600

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<dj@myemail1>

----- Transcript of session follows -----
mail.local: unknown name: dj
550 <dj@myemail1>... User unknown

IOW, in an official looking way the sender has been advised that dj@myeamil1 does not exist. To me that ability is worth the price when I wind up on people's email lists. It's never failed to get me off of them. Or away from anyone you want to be away from. Your death will not stop spam, though.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
June 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Am thinking about adding this app into the mix, but before I do, wonder if anyone here has tried it or has an opinion on it.I use it and wouldn't be without it. You can quickly and easily review all your email, kill all the trash so you never download it to your computer, never risk your hard drive.

ndebord
June 16th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I use it and wouldn't be without it. You can quickly and easily review all your email, kill all the trash so you never download it to your computer, never risk your hard drive.

Judy,

I'm thinking about using it in a similar fashion. For now, I use nPOPuk to pull justheaders from my email inbox and delete there if I'm of a mind to. Then and only then do I use Foxmail to download email.

davidh
June 17th, 2010, 04:57 PM
For now, I use nPOPuk to pull justheaders from my email inbox and delete there if I'm of a mind to. Then and only then do I use Foxmail to download email. Nick, Just a little bit curious.
I switched from FoxMail 5 to T-bird a few years ago. I forget why now. Maybe to try out the newsreader? (BTW, I actually DO still use the RSS newsreader now, at least to save some links to articles from Internet Storm Center for possible future view and review.)
Anyway I think I remember that FoxMail 5 had a feature to let you look at headers and delete msgs based on header info. So, just a little bit curious what the advantages of nPOPuk (which I don't know) might be?

davidh
June 18th, 2010, 02:50 AM
OFF TOPIC:
I switched from FoxMail 5 to T-bird a few years ago. I forget why now. Maybe to try out the newsreader? (BTW, I actually DO still use the RSS newsreader now, at least to save some links to articles from Internet Storm Center for possible future view and review.) FWIW, BTW, I DO use the T-bird extension to download Yahoo free web mail for offline reading in T-bird. So that's an additional feature of T-bird besides RSS that I now use.

ndebord
June 18th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Nick, Just a little bit curious.
I switched from FoxMail 5 to T-bird a few years ago. I forget why now. Maybe to try out the newsreader? (BTW, I actually DO still use the RSS newsreader now, at least to save some links to articles from Internet Storm Center for possible future view and review.)
Anyway I think I remember that FoxMail 5 had a feature to let you look at headers and delete msgs based on header info. So, just a little bit curious what the advantages of nPOPuk (which I don't know) might be?

David,

If you have multiple POP3 accounts being tracked by Foxmail 5, you have to set them up manually in the remote. It is easier for me (probably out of habit) to run nPOPuk on a hotkey and then have it check every few minutes automatically. Only then do I use Foxmail 5*.

BTW, Foxmail 5 uses SSL2, not 3, so Gmail no longer likes it. I use a 3rd party SSL3 app (Stunnel) to make my old email program work properly with Google.

FWIW, I just don't like TB, so have looked in other directions ever since Netscape Communicator 4.8.

Judy G. Russell
June 19th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I'm thinking about using it in a similar fashion. For now, I use nPOPuk to pull justheaders from my email inbox and delete there if I'm of a mind to.The advantage to Mailwasher is you can see more than just headers if you need to and still without risking anything.

ndebord
June 21st, 2010, 04:04 PM
The advantage to Mailwasher is you can see more than just headers if you need to and still without risking anything.

Judy,

That will do the trick. <g>

Judy G. Russell
June 21st, 2010, 08:55 PM
That will do the trick. <g>I think you'll like it. I know I couldn't handle all my email without it.