PDA

View Full Version : New definition of lunacy

Judy G. Russell
June 12th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Agreeing to take an intensive, advanced, weeklong course in genealogy, when your skill level probably isn't that advanced.

Said course being given in Birmingham, Alabama.

In June.

When the anticipated average daily temps this next week are expected to be, oh, not more than 90-95 or so.

With humidity about a kazillion percent.

The "real feel" temps are expected to be about 107-110.

So this lunatic's mantra for the next week will be... "I'm m-e-l-t-i-n-g. . . ."

Mike
June 13th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Try to have fun, anyway.

Judy G. Russell
June 13th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Try to have fun, anyway.Thanks. I'm not sure "fun" is going to be involved in a class that starts at 8 a.m. and includes homework every night. But the class will be terrific if I can survive the heat and humidity.

ktinkel
June 13th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks. I'm not sure "fun" is going to be involved in a class that starts at 8 a.m. and includes homework every night. But the class will be terrific if I can survive the heat and humidity.Any air conditioning? Otherwise, oy!

Judy G. Russell
June 14th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Any air conditioning? Otherwise, oy!The rooms are all air conditioned, but getting from building to building... oy, indeed! It is 9:30 at night here right now. And it's still 79 degrees and 87% humidity. This reminds me of my youngest uncle's description of Louisiana in the summer: "You walk outside, take a deep breath... and drown."

ktinkel
June 15th, 2010, 09:15 AM
The rooms are all air conditioned, but getting from building to building... oy, indeed! It is 9:30 at night here right now. And it's still 79 degrees and 87% humidity. This reminds me of my youngest uncle's description of Louisiana in the summer: "You walk outside, take a deep breath... and drown."My vision of hell.

Hope the classes are fun, anyway.

Judy G. Russell
June 16th, 2010, 09:52 PM
My vision of hell. Mine too. Temps are down a bit but humidity is up. Bleah!

Hope the classes are fun, anyway.They're wonderful. Tiring, but wonderful.

ktinkel
June 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Mine too. Temps are down a bit but humidity is up. Bleah!It won’t help you much, but today is lovely — 70s, not humid, and breezy. Tomorrow should be sunnier but similar.

It appears that the weekend will be like what you’re experiencing in Alabama.

Mike
June 19th, 2010, 03:10 AM
8 a.m.
Oh, the humanity!

Judy G. Russell
June 19th, 2010, 09:53 AM
It won’t help you much, but today is lovely — 70s, not humid, and breezy. Tomorrow should be sunnier but similar.Sigh... that would have been nice.

It appears that the weekend will be like what you’re experiencing in Alabama.It's not good here but still not as bad. Example: the temp here right now at 10:50 a.m. is 77 degrees. In Birmingham right now the temp is 87 degrees. That 10-degree difference as the day goes on is a killer: it can be a difference between a high of, say, 85-90 here and 95-100 there.

ktinkel
June 19th, 2010, 10:52 AM
It's not good here but still not as bad. Example: the temp here right now at 10:50 a.m. is 77 degrees. In Birmingham right now the temp is 87 degrees. That 10-degree difference as the day goes on is a killer: it can be a difference between a high of, say, 85-90 here and 95-100 there.I think the Hs are supposed to build today and early tomorrow, only to climax in a grand storm in the afternoon or evening.

This weather is not really bad, compared to the South, anyway; but I still hate it.

Judy G. Russell
June 20th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I think the Hs are supposed to build today and early tomorrow, only to climax in a grand storm in the afternoon or evening.As long as I'm not out in it, and no lighting hits the house, I'd be fine with that!

This weather is not really bad, compared to the South, anyway; but I still hate it.If I have my druthers, I'druther be warm than cold, but I'd absolutely adore a three-season climate without any real winter.

ktinkel
June 21st, 2010, 11:03 AM
If I have my druthers, I'druther be warm than cold, but I'd absolutely adore a three-season climate without any real winter.That sounds like the S.F. Bay area, especially Berkeley. My idea of a perfect climate.

Judy G. Russell
June 21st, 2010, 09:01 PM
That sounds like the S.F. Bay area, especially Berkeley. My idea of a perfect climate.If only it weren't in California...

ktinkel
June 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
If only it weren't in California...I know what you mean.

Portland isn’t bad. Even Seattle (though it does have the occasional snowstorm and the endless grey days can become difficult). Portland is more pleasant.

Judy G. Russell
June 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I know what you mean. Portland isn’t bad. Even Seattle (though it does have the occasional snowstorm and the endless grey days can become difficult). Portland is more pleasant.Seattle I couldn't take. WAY too many grey days. I believe those t-shirts that read: "Kids in Seattle don't tan. They rust." I have a nephew in Portland right now and he says it's been pretty rainy there this year too. Sigh...

ktinkel
June 26th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Seattle I couldn't take. WAY too many grey days. I believe those t-shirts that read: "Kids in Seattle don't tan. They rust." I have a nephew in Portland right now and he says it's been pretty rainy there this year too. Sigh...Yeah, but that is not constant. And it is a wonderful town (food-wise, culture-wise, nature-wise, etc.).

And if you go out toward the coast and south toward California you can get to fabulous places.

And Tillamook cheese is really good. And there are wonderful photo opportunities: the rhododendron test gardens and the rose gardens in Portland, not to mention all the scenes at the coast.

Dunno — getting me all nostalgic.

Judy G. Russell
June 26th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Dunno — getting me all nostalgic.Now now... just because you're getting tornados and H&H days up there in CT doesn't mean it isn't a lovely place to live!

Mike
June 29th, 2010, 01:51 AM
That sounds like the S.F. Bay area, especially Berkeley. My idea of a perfect climate.
Even Berkeley can be a bit too cool for those who prefer warm weather. How many nights a year there can one go outside and sit on the patio in shorts and a t-shirt and be comfortable? 3? 4?

I'm starting to enjoy living on the other side of the Caldecott. We can go outside in the evening and relax, even barefoot, and not have to worry about the bay breezes.

And our house will have plenty of places to relax, with two big patios and considerable privacy!

ktinkel
June 29th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Now now... just because you're getting tornados and H&H days up there in CT doesn't mean it isn't a lovely place to live!Actually, we just got some rain — the tornados were in Bridgeport and maybe next door to us in Stratford.

Milford has some sort of safety bubble over it. We haven’t seen serious weather in any season for about 4 years. (I should bite my tongue — that comment is probably a curse trigger!)

ktinkel
June 29th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Even Berkeley can be a bit too cool for those who prefer warm weather. How many nights a year there can one go outside and sit on the patio in shorts and a t-shirt and be comfortable? 3? 4?But perfect for a light jacket or sweater. I was content. Didn’t always enjoy cool fog on summer mornings, but the rest was lovely.

[/quote]I'm starting to enjoy living on the other side of the Caldecott. We can go outside in the evening and relax, even barefoot, and not have to worry about the bay breezes.[/QUOTE]Didn’t realize you had moved again. Are you up north? Not, I bet, in either San Leandro or Walnut Creek!

Congratulations on the house.

Judy G. Russell
July 2nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
our house will have plenty of places to relax, with two big patios and considerable privacy!Sounds wonderful!