PDA

View Full Version : Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.1 free

davidh
June 9th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Just released.
http://www.cloudantivirus.com

I've been running the beta of 1.1 for over a month. Behavioral detection was added in the beta. So I uninstalled my PCTOOLS Threatfire behavioral detection to test Panda. Had some minor problems with it and turned behavioral Panda off.

I updated to the final 1.1 release and left behavioral on, to see how it goes.

It seems that its detection rate is one of the tops for free AV, AFAIK.

Additionally cloud based AV may have lower performance impact than regular old fashioned pattern (signature) based AV. More and more AV vendors seem to be adding cloud and behavior based features.

davidh
June 11th, 2010, 11:20 AM
So far it seems to me that the behavioral scanning for malware of 1.1 is breaking some apps. So I'll probably turn that feature off and reinstall PCTOOLS Threatfire behavioral scanning.

davidh
June 11th, 2010, 09:30 PM
So I'll probably turn that feature off and reinstall PCTOOLS Threatfire behavioral scanning. It's not clear to me whether doing so would have only Threatfire hooking the relevant Windows API's or whether Panda would remain hooked-but-inactivated. FWIW, having two hooked in simultaneously does not sound like a good idea?

davidh
June 17th, 2010, 05:02 PM
It's not clear to me whether doing so would have only Threatfire hooking the relevant Windows API's or whether Panda would remain hooked-but-inactivated. FWIW, having two hooked in simultaneously does not sound like a good idea? I DID re-install PCTOOLS Threatfire behavioral scanner back on my XP system, because I hope that its behavioral scanning is a more mature and stable product than the just released Panda Cloud AV 1.1 which first added 'behavioral' in ver. 1.1 (the very same). I keep the Panda 'behavioral' turned off. Threatfire did tell me that it recognized Panda as a valid AV, so I assume that regardless of whether the two cooperate completely ideally, at least they don't 'fight each other'.