PDA

View Full Version : A dirty spring tree

Jeff
May 18th, 2010, 01:53 PM
There is a large tree hereabouts, which is producing copious quantities of what I assume is airborne seed. In daylight it's a light khaki color. Sorry about the quality of the indoor picture, although I may be able to do better as there's no signs of stopping and the breeze is blowing the stuff around like rain. What kind of tree is it?

- Jeff

davidh
May 18th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I'd guess some kind of elm
http://www.google.com/images?q=elm%20seed&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Judy G. Russell
May 18th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Definitely elm.

Jeff
May 19th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Well then, my cook is goosed as I've been told they are all over town. Last year I didn't notice it start and the stuff totally plugged my airconditioner. I had to have the thing disassembled and blown out with a high pressure hose. I see a tree with a khaki crown, so I guess I'll wait for it to go green.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
May 19th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Well then, my cook is goosed as I've been told they are all over town. Last year I didn't notice it start and the stuff totally plugged my airconditioner. I had to have the thing disassembled and blown out with a high pressure hose. I see a tree with a khaki crown, so I guess I'll wait for it to go green.A cover on the air conditioner is all I can suggest.

earler
May 20th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Most elm trees were destroyed by the dutch elm disease some years ago. I am surprised that there are so many where you live.

Anyway, we have the lovely perfume of the syringa right now.

Jeff
May 20th, 2010, 11:54 AM
A cover on the air conditioner is all I can suggest.

Yeah, <G>MTA. I'm going to wrap it in a layer of window screen. That should allow enough air flow for its large internal cooling fan, but with openings too small for the elm debris to be sucked in. And if they stick on the screen they can be brushed off, or even the screen replaced, without the major hassle of last spring. At least that's the plan.

- Jeff

davidh
May 20th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Most elm trees were destroyed by the dutch elm disease some years ago. I am surprised that there are so many where you live.Incidentally, Chinese Elm , I think , is resistant. As if outsourcing wasn't enough to get P.O.'d about :(

Judy G. Russell
May 22nd, 2010, 10:48 PM
At least that's the plan.That should work!!