PDA

View Full Version : WiFi to WiFi?

Jeff
May 3rd, 2010, 01:10 PM
I have two IBM XP Pro SP3 notebooks. One is almost seven and the other is almost three, with the former being the backup machine. They are in software as duplicate as I can make them. They both talk to the same WiFi 'net router, they both talk to the same WiFi printer, and they both talk to the same WiFi webcam.

How do I get them to WiFi to each other?

- Jeff

Dan in Saint Louis
May 3rd, 2010, 04:54 PM
I have two IBM XP Pro SP3 notebooks. One is almost seven and the other is almost three, with the former being the backup machine. They are in software as duplicate as I can make them. They both talk to the same WiFi 'net router, they both talk to the same WiFi printer, and they both talk to the same WiFi webcam.

How do I get them to WiFi to each other?

- Jeff
As best I understand it, through the router. Enable File & Printer Sharing on both, turn OFF "Simple File Sharing" (not!) on both, use the same workgroup name on both (WORKGROUP works well!), and either enable the Guest Account or use the same UserName/Password on both. You don't have to be logged into the same account on both as long as the one you are sitting at is logged into an account that is duplicated on the other. In other words just like if they were both wired to the router.

A second way, but it may break the connection to the router and printer, is an ad hoc network (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_network_interface_card#Ad-hoc_mode).

Jeff
May 5th, 2010, 11:32 AM
In other words just like if they were both wired to the router.

Thanks, Dan. That's sneaky. I like sneaky.

- Jeff