PDA

View Full Version : upload any file:Google docs

davidh
April 11th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Google docs now allows uploading any kind of file.
However you can't view or play them in your browser itself.
Of course, when you download them you can open them (for display or play) in a compatible application, e.g. MS Office or Windows Media Player, as well as merely Save the file on your HD.

As always before, of course, if you previously uploaded an Office type document (and it was converted to Google docs format) then you can view and/or edit it within the browser.

The (free) upload capacity limit is 1GB.

You can also share any arbitrary file for download. Traditional Office type files may be shared for viewing only or for both viewing AND editing.

I think this is still a fairly new Google docs feature. At least there is a "New" colored 'flag' announcing the feature.

Dan in Saint Louis
April 11th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Google docs now allows uploading any kind of file.
Maybe that's where all the missing files from GoogleGROUPS are going. GoogleGroup owners all over the world are complaining that files can be uploaded to the Group File folder, but then they disappear. In one of my groups I have uploaded files that stayed for 5 or 10 minutes and THEN disappeared.

The current theory is that the synchronization among Google's various distributed servers has run amok, and Cloud Computing sucks.

ndebord
April 27th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Maybe that's where all the missing files from GoogleGROUPS are going. GoogleGroup owners all over the world are complaining that files can be uploaded to the Group File folder, but then they disappear. In one of my groups I have uploaded files that stayed for 5 or 10 minutes and THEN disappeared.

The current theory is that the synchronization among Google's various distributed servers has run amok, and Cloud Computing sucks.

Dan,

From the perspective of MainFrame computer makers, Cloud Computing is just a return to centralized computing, after all, Ted Olsen in 1977 said, “ Nobody needs a computer in his house." Meaning nobody needs to keep their data anywhere but on our mainframes.