PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Mozilla

Guerri Stevens
August 8th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I recently installed Firefox and I've been using Thunderbird for awhile. Tonight I decided it was time to delete Mozilla. After doing so, I found that Firefox claimed it was not the default browser and did I want to make it the default, and Thunderbird did the same. So evidently the delete process undid some setting which it should have left alone (sigh).

Judy G. Russell
August 8th, 2005, 10:51 PM
That's really not a big deal, Guerri: it should be a simple "yes, thanks" to both questions and that's the end of it.

Peter Creasey
August 9th, 2005, 09:01 AM
>> recently installed Firefox and I've been using Thunderbird for awhile. Tonight I decided it was time to delete Mozilla. <<

Guerri, How do you compare using Firefox and Thunderbird versus Mozilla Suite? Basically the same capabilities and convenience? What do you feel you have lost in the transition?

Guerri Stevens
August 10th, 2005, 07:06 PM
That's really not a big deal, Guerri: it should be a simple "yes, thanks" to both questions and that's the end of it.
My point wasn't about how easy or hard it was to correct. I just wanted people to know that evidently Mozilla, Firefox, and Thunderbird share some data. I wasn't expecting that I would have to do anything to Firefox or Thunderbird because of deleting Mozilla.

Guerri Stevens
August 10th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I got Firefox because people had suggested that for browsing it was better (faster) than Mozilla. I can't tell whether it is or not. Sometimes I think so, and other times I think not, but I haven't tried to time anything. Firefox is smaller, and updates will be smaller downloads, which is nice for my dialup connection.

I have forgotten what I like better in Firefox. One thing that annoys me with both Mozilla and Firefox is that they do not respond to the Alt, spacebar, n sequence of keystrokes to minimize them as other Windows applications do. Thunderbird might not either, but I run it in a window instead of full screen. Hmm, just found out that Alt+space then n will work.

A couple of things I don't like about T-bird: occasionally if I compose a message and press Shift+Ctrl+Enter to send later, it doesn't return me to T-bird. And the hot key to compose a new message is Ctrl+M, which may be an industry standard. But Ctrl+W seems natural, but that shuts T-bird instead.

I had used the Mozilla Email just briefly when I got Thunderbird so I can't compare them at all.

Lindsey
August 10th, 2005, 09:18 PM
I just wanted people to know that evidently Mozilla, Firefox, and Thunderbird share some data.
What you described wasn't shared data. Windows likes to know what browser to use as the default so that it knows what program to launch when you try to access something that requires a browser. You evidently had designated Mozilla as the default browser when you installed it, and then when you removed it, Windows needed to know what to use as the default browser instead. That's all.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
August 10th, 2005, 11:07 PM
As Lindsey says, that's just a switch inside Windows; it's not data at all.

Peter Creasey
August 11th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Guerri, Thanks for the good info comparing/contrasting Mozilla with FF and TB.

Mike
August 22nd, 2005, 01:02 AM
Alt + <space>, n works for me on Firefox to minimize it, whether in full-screen mode or a smaller window.

Guerri Stevens
August 23rd, 2005, 08:29 PM
What you described wasn't shared data. Windows likes to know what browser to use as the default so that it knows what program to launch when you try to access something that requires a browser. You evidently had designated Mozilla as the default browser when you installed it, and then when you removed it, Windows needed to know what to use as the default browser instead. That's all.
I know that Windows likes to know which browser is the default. I had originally installed Mozilla and had made it the default. However, I then installed Firefox and made it the default. So when I subsequently uninstalled Mozilla, Firefox was the default, and that default setting/data/whateveryoucall it should, in my opinion, have been left in place by the uninstall process. In other words, I was not uninstalling the default browser.

Ditto for Thunderbird email. It was the default at the time I uninstalled Mozilla.

Guerri Stevens
August 23rd, 2005, 08:32 PM
Alt + <space>, n works for me on Firefox to minimize it, whether in full-screen mode or a smaller window.
True, but on other applications, Alt followed by space followed by n will minimize and my fingers are used to that. I think that the Alt+space, n also works elsewhere and I should retrain my fingers.

Mike
August 24th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Oh, I didn't realize that you meant three separate keystrokes, instead of one pair plus a single. I've never tried them separately.

Guerri Stevens
August 24th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Oh, I didn't realize that you meant three separate keystrokes, instead of one pair plus a single. I've never tried them separately.
I have no idea how I found out about the three separate keystrokes but I have been using them for a long time. I think that the Alt alone is (or was) the way to bring up the menu associated with the icon in the very top left corner of a window. Maybe that was the standard at one point, and is no longer. The new standard may be Alt+space and it may be that some applications still support the old method and others don't. It may also be that the applications in which the old method works for me are themselves old and Firefox is much newer. My version of Excel, for instance, is quite old.

Mike
September 1st, 2005, 04:32 PM
I think that the Alt alone is (or was) the way to bring up the menu associated with the icon in the very top left corner of a window.
Alt, by itself, in Windows, usually means "get ready for a key representing a menu selection." Thus, in many applications, you could press Alt, then F, to invoke the File menu, or Alt, then H, to invoke the Help menu.

The latter functions seem to work in Firefox with no problem. However, pressing Alt, then space seems not to work. You might want to search Bugzilla to see if this has been reported and possibly is in the queue to be updated.

I've never used Alt, space, N, because I started using the Alt + Space trick in TAPCIS, where Alt by itself is trapped by the DOS program.