PDA

View Full Version : Pitchers & Catchers

ndebord
February 18th, 2010, 06:06 PM
It's that time of year once again. Pitchers and catchers have reported to early camp in sunny, sunny Florida (while we poor folk struggle with a long winter season here in the NE).

Biggest question so far? Who is the 8th inning relief pitcher!

Mike Landi
February 19th, 2010, 07:29 AM
It's that time of year once again. Pitchers and catchers have reported to early camp in sunny, sunny Florida (while we poor folk struggle with a long winter season here in the NE).

Biggest question so far? Who is the 8th inning relief pitcher!
I'll bet it will be Joba. He seems suited to be a reliever.

ndebord
February 19th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I'll bet it will be Joba. He seems suited to be a reliever.

Mike,

Me too, and one of the tabloids suggested as much today (I think it was the Daily News). I'm torn because I've seen Joba throw great, great games and then really bad stinkers.

Other good news? Without Molina (now a Blue Jay), Cervelli is the backup catcher which makes me very happy because he should get in 60 games at the very least or more, if Posada doesn't hold up behind the plate.

Mike Landi
February 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
I'm expecting a lot from Cervelli. I see him as the heir apparent to Posada.

A side note, I think the whole Damon situation was a bad deal for Damon. There has to be a reason he did not take the Yankees' offer and held out for an outrageous contract. He winds up signing a one-year deal? I wonder what Boras was telling him.

ndebord
February 23rd, 2010, 09:32 AM

A side note, I think the whole Damon situation was a bad deal for Damon. There has to be a reason he did not take the Yankees' offer and held out for an outrageous contract. He winds up signing a one-year deal? I wonder what Boras was telling him.

Mike,

For Cervelli to be the everyday catcher, he has to hit better than he ever has. He is more of a banjo hitter (I hate to admit this), but defensively and smarts, he is a pitcher's dream.

Boras, the tabs say, was using Damon as a foil to Hollliday. Dragging out negotiations with the Yankees meant that they didn't (early on) resolve their outfield and so by Damon not signing, St. Louis was scared into thinking that the Bronx Bombers were looking at signing Holliday. In this way, Boras ginned up phoney suitors to increase Holliday's paycheck in St. Looie (Didn't work out so well for Damon, though.)

ndebord
March 18th, 2010, 09:56 PM

Mike,

Well, Cervelli is hitting .583 right now and although he is the backup catcher to Posada this year, he is No. 3 on the depth chart behind Jesus Montero and Austin Romine. Even No. 4 if you believe the rumors that Joe Mauer may not sign with Minnesota, meaning all of the above could go there to get him.

Romine, they say, is a can't miss catcher, with all the skills, both offensive and defensive. Montero is a big fellow who could hit like A-Rod (they say), but is a defensive liability right now. Both young. Both not ready... yet.

Cervelli it seems, is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Bronx Bombers.

As for Joba... one good inning on St. Pattie's Day doesn't make him a starter. I'm betting on Hughes, although Aceves has pitched lights out this Spring.

Judy G. Russell
March 19th, 2010, 09:19 AM
As for Joba... one good inning on St. Pattie's Day doesn't make him a starter. I'm betting on Hughes, although Aceves has pitched lights out this Spring.I'm betting on Aceves myself.

ndebord
March 20th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I'm betting on Aceves myself.

Judy

Aceves is probably going to be a spot starter and the long reliever. David Robertson, the kid from last year, is right on a path to be the next Mo. The most strikeouts for any relief pitcher per innings in the majors last year and that personality where he shows no nerves, is rare. Only Cliff Lee is better at that and we may well have him in the lineup next year when he becomes a free agent.

Mike Landi
March 20th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Gee...I write a reply and the forum rejects it...that was not very nice. :)

Mike Landi
March 20th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Gee...I write a reply and the forum rejects it...that was not very nice. :)
Drat! That's twice. I write about baseball and I get

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/sendmessage.php) and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

ndebord
March 20th, 2010, 12:22 PM

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/sendmessage.php) and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

Mike,

What kind of thing is this security token the robot is complaining about?

Mike Landi
March 20th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Mike,

What kind of thing is this security token the robot is complaining about?
DRAT AGAIN! It seems that every other post I try gets trashed.

Judy G. Russell
March 20th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Aceves is probably going to be a spot starter and the long reliever. David Robertson, the kid from last year, is right on a path to be the next Mo. The most strikeouts for any relief pitcher per innings in the majors last year and that personality where he shows no nerves, is rare. Only Cliff Lee is better at that and we may well have him in the lineup next year when he becomes a free agent.Robertson looks terrific. Cliff Lee would be a great addition.

Judy G. Russell
March 20th, 2010, 10:14 PM
If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/sendmessage.php) and describe the action you performed before you received this error."Hmmm... I have no idea what that could be. Lemme do some research here.

Mike Landi
March 21st, 2010, 09:36 AM
Robertson looks terrific. Cliff Lee would be a great addition.
It did it again! ...and all I said was having CC and Lee in the same rotation would be amazing.

....Free the forum from the Yankees hating glitch! :)

Mike Landi
March 21st, 2010, 09:37 AM
It did it again! ...and all I said was having CC and Lee in the same rotation would be amazing.

....Free the forum from the Yankees hating glitch! :)
...kidding aside, it does seem to be an every other post glitch.

(I had to post this message twice to get by the problem.)

ndebord
March 21st, 2010, 10:30 AM
...kidding aside, it does seem to be an every other post glitch.

(I had to post this message twice to get by the problem.)

Mike,

Some kind of glitch with your cache???

And yes, CC and Lee... I wonder if the new Yankee Stadium favors lefthanders to the same degree as the old one did. The whole design has traditionally made NY a haven for lefties and the reason is as old as the game: there are few good lefthanders out there and what are out there tend to end up with the best paying teams, advantage Bronx Bombers.

Judy G. Russell
March 21st, 2010, 05:12 PM
It did it again! ...and all I said was having CC and Lee in the same rotation would be amazing.Wouldn't it though...

....Free the forum from the Yankees hating glitch! :)I can't seem to find a cause for it, Mike. Have you tried clearing your browser cache, logging out of the forum and logging back in?

sidney
March 23rd, 2010, 02:03 AM
I can't seem to find a cause for it, Mike. Have you tried clearing your browser cache, logging out of the forum and logging back in?

The thread (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?268862-Error-Security-token-was-missing-or-mismatched) I found about possible causes only has one suggestion for the case in which it only happens to one user and is not related to uploading of very large files:

If this problem is only happening to some people and cannot be reproduced, the probable cause is their browser cache. Have these users either try a different browser or clear their browser cache.

Judy G. Russell
March 23rd, 2010, 08:54 AM
clear the cacheThanks, Sidney!

Mike Landi
March 23rd, 2010, 02:51 PM
Wouldn't it though...

I can't seem to find a cause for it, Mike. Have you tried clearing your browser cache, logging out of the forum and logging back in?
I'll try logging out and dumping my cache. I'm at work now on a different machine so this is not a great test.

Judy G. Russell
March 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
I'll try logging out and dumping my cache. I'm at work now on a different machine so this is not a great test.It's actually a GOOD test if the problem doesn't occur on the work machine...