PDA

View Full Version : No snow pics?

PeteHall
February 14th, 2010, 11:41 AM
After last week's news reports I expected to see dozens of pics of 20ft snow drifts, but nothing! Guess I'll have to post some of my own...

ktinkel
February 14th, 2010, 02:26 PM
After last week's news reports I expected to see dozens of pics of 20ft snow drifts, but nothing! Guess I'll have to post some of my own...Not from here (southern Connecticut). When all was said and done, New England was left out. The storms looked like nor’easters, then turned south and out to sea.

Not that I’m complaining, mind you — what we did get (4 or 5 inches in the second round, none before) was annoying enough.

Judy G. Russell
February 14th, 2010, 10:24 PM
After last week's news reports I expected to see dozens of pics of 20ft snow drifts, but nothing! Guess I'll have to post some of my own...I was away, then snowed out. NOT snowed in, snowed OUT. I was in NC and couldn't get home. When the flights resumed, turned out my part of NJ had only gotten 10-12". Not much at all, compared to other places.

sidney
February 15th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Here's all the white and fluffy stuff I could find here :)

http://www.nzonline.org.nz/Images/Waimana/Sheep-on-the-point-BIG.jpg

ktinkel
February 15th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Here's all the white and fluffy stuff I could find here :)Awwww.

ndebord
February 15th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I was away, then snowed out. NOT snowed in, snowed OUT. I was in NC and couldn't get home. When the flights resumed, turned out my part of NJ had only gotten 10-12". Not much at all, compared to other places.

Judy,

Well good to hear you finally got OUT. I was once stuck in the middle of PA when a blizzard (March of 1993) strengthened and ran from Illinois to the Delaware Water Gap. I-80 and the PA Turnpike were reduced to cart ruts. Must have seen a couple of hundred cars off the road and a dozen or so tractor trailers. As I sat in a Motel 6 in western PA and looked at the local weather forecast, it occurred to me that another storm was right behind the one I was stuck in, so I took my little compact car out and proceeded to follow in the one lane rut all the way to Jersey. Max speed? Probably under 25 mph.

Went around one corner following a big rig and found him tipped over, leaning against one of the rock walls sticking out in the mountains of central PA. His wheels were still spinning and his eyes were as big as watermelons!

Jeff
February 15th, 2010, 12:22 PM
After last week's news reports I expected to see dozens of pics of 20ft snow drifts, but nothing! Guess I'll have to post some of my own...

Jeeze, right nice dacha you've got there Dr. Z

PeteHall
February 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I was away, then snowed out. NOT snowed in, snowed OUT. I was in NC and couldn't get home. When the flights resumed, turned out my part of NJ had only gotten 10-12". Not much at all, compared to other places.

At least you weren't snowed out for 30 days!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8467242.stm

PeteHall
February 16th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Jeeze, right nice dacha you've got there Dr. Z
It's the former home of the Guinness family, given to the nation in lieu of death taxes. Features in 'Notting Hill' (Hugh Grant/Julia Roberts)

Back in the 18th C, an angry mob marched on the house planning to burn it to the ground, but they only got as far as the nearby Spaniards Inn. The landlord pretended to side with them and plied them with free ale, while someone ran to call out the local militia... surprisingly they didn't put up much of a fight when the militia arrived

Judy G. Russell
February 16th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Went around one corner following a big rig and found him tipped over, leaning against one of the rock walls sticking out in the mountains of central PA. His wheels were still spinning and his eyes were as big as watermelons!Ulp! No thanks. I was perfectly content to sit in a motel in Charlotte NC until the worst was over.

Judy G. Russell
February 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
At least you weren't snowed out for 30 days!That would have had me SERIOUSLY annoyed.

ndebord
February 16th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Ulp! No thanks. I was perfectly content to sit in a motel in Charlotte NC until the worst was over.

Judy,

Me too, if not for the kicker, which was I would probably have lost my job if I didn't get back when I did. <weak grin>

Jeff
February 17th, 2010, 11:54 AM
It's the former home of the Guinness family, given to the nation in lieu of death taxes. Features in 'Notting Hill' (Hugh Grant/Julia Roberts)

Back in the 18th C, an angry mob marched on the house planning to burn it to the ground, but they only got as far as the nearby Spaniards Inn. The landlord pretended to side with them and plied them with free ale, while someone ran to call out the local militia... surprisingly they didn't put up much of a fight when the militia arrived

An angry mob? Out of stout were they?