PDA

View Full Version : NetZero dialup install..?

Jeff
December 21st, 2009, 11:54 AM
Does anyone know anyone who uses NetZero dialup? I've discovered that I can get 10 hours a month free, as backup for Comcast cable, but in three tries the install procedure does not take the modem off hook which it seems to need to do to complete the install. It seems to recognize the modem, and com 3, and Tap will still use that to dial the still existing CIS modem, so that's not the issue. I donno what the issue is, and NetZero is not interested in talking about it. I'd forget the whole idea, but I would like an ISP dialup backup and better if it's free because I don't want to use it.

- Jeff

davidh
December 25th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Does anyone know anyone who uses NetZero dialup? I've discovered that I can get 10 hours a month free, as backup for Comcast cable, but in three tries the install procedure does not take the modem off hook which it seems to need to do to complete the install. It seems to recognize the modem, and com 3, and Tap will still use that to dial the still existing CIS modem, so that's not the issue. I donno what the issue is, and NetZero is not interested in talking about it. I'd forget the whole idea, but I would like an ISP dialup backup and better if it's free because I don't want to use it.

- JeffI have Netzero 8.0 dialer installed on my Win 98 PC, but the modem is not currently connected.

I seem to remember having some problem in the past where the dialer would run thru all the possible local dial up numbers and fail on all of them.

You might want to try dialing all the local numbers in the list manually with a regular voice land line and eliminating any of them (if possible?) that seem to act funny.

Also, in ver. 8.0 I noticed that there was somewhere in the advanced settings a check box for whether or not to redial on each particular number.

Perhaps once upon a time there may or may not have been some extra modem setting that I had to mess with but I can remember no details and don't even remember whether those settings are still in effect on that PC or not or even whether they had to to with Netzero or not :(

The 8.0 dialer also has an option to "connect" over broadband. You might want to try that option and unkink it FIRST 'for good measure' , BEFORE going back and hacking at the dialup connection.

davidh
December 25th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I think the v.92 internal modem is still installed on my Win 98 PC.

I did a quick check on the advanced settings for that modem on that PC.

the extra settings were :

M1 +PCW=1

+PCW=1 was for when I had call waiting. I think that one was to make the modem hang up whenever there was an incoming call (since voice and modem had to share same line and I put priority on voice incoming).

I forget what is M1

Jeff
December 27th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I think the v.92 internal modem is still installed on my Win 98 PC.

I did a quick check on the advanced settings for that modem on that PC.

the extra settings were :

M1 +PCW=1

+PCW=1 was for when I had call waiting. I think that one was to make the modem hang up whenever there was an incoming call (since voice and modem had to share same line and I put priority on voice incoming).

I forget what is M1

Thanks for checking. Where did you see those advanced settings? The problem here is pretty basic; not only does netzero not take the modem off hook, it locks up the computer in the process. That requires a CAD to recover. Tap however happily uses my V.92 internal, and it still happily dials the local CIS modem which still answers, but then no one is home anymore.

- Jeff

davidh
December 28th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks for checking. Where did you see those advanced settings? I checked in Windows 98. I think there was an icon for modems in the W98 control panel. It may also be possible to get at those settings via the DUN icon in control panel.
I don't have any dial up modem on my XP PC. So I'm not sure what to do in XP/Vista/W7.

I wonder if Netzero allows you to download earlier versions of their dialer from their web site. Perhaps it would be worth installing a different version?

Perhaps it would also be worth trying to run the version of the dialer you now have in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows?

If the modem is either a winmodem or if the modem is not the default Windows modem driver, it might be worth looking for driver updates or to try reinstalling the driver(s)?

davidh
December 28th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for checking. Where did you see those advanced settings? The problem here is pretty basic; not only does netzero not take the modem off hook, it locks up the computer in the process. That requires a CAD to recover. Tap however happily uses my V.92 internal, and it still happily dials the local CIS modem which still answers, but then no one is home anymore.

- Jeff

Jeff, have you dl'd and run this diagnostic program?
Netzero Connection Wizard
Let our new Connection Wizard pinpoint your problem! The NetZero Connection Wizard is our newest help tool. Download it today to identify and resolve many common issues that may prevent you from successfully connecting to the Internet.

Version 3.0.2 | File Size: 663KB | Release Date: 02/21/2007

Download Now

http://my.netzero.net/s/download

Dodi Schultz
January 1st, 2010, 02:42 PM
Jeff, I don't know nuffin' 'bout NetZero, but: I'm now looking to switch to DSL sometime soon, but last year (! Happy 2010!) when CompuServe dropped its ISP service, I switched to Netscape, which has worked just fine. Unlimited Internet access is $9.95/month. (At the time, they also had a $5.95/mo offer along with a long-term commitment, the length of which I don't recall. Dunno if that's still on the table.)

They've got more than a dozen nodes in New York, so they must have at least two or three out your way.

Their performance has been dependable. They're at www.getnetscape.com or (800) 716-7445.

--DS