PDA

View Full Version : Russell's corollary to Murphy's Law

Judy G. Russell
December 19th, 2009, 11:36 PM
For years, I have had Russell's corollary to Murphy's Law posted on my website: "Murphy was an optimist!"

Think I'm joking? Try this on for size. Friday night, I noticed the sight glass on my gas-fired steam-generating furnace was leaking. Called the plumber, was told it would not affect the heat and they'd be out first thing Monday.

Today, after the indoor temps dropped 4 degrees in an hour, I called again and got them out just ahead of the snowstorm. Temporary repairs effected, had to bite the bullet and schedule them to come out Tuesday or Wednesday to do what I've known for some time would be needed soon: replace the furnace. (It's just about 20 years old and has been troublesome for the past 2-3 heating seasons.) Ouch. That's a HUGE expense I'd have rather postponed...

Now, of course, it's after midnight. There's a blizzard going on outside. Total snowfall is expected to be between 14 and 21 inches. You can write the rest of this yourself, can't you?

Yep. Furnace died again. Can't get it to come back on.

Thank heavens for one single space heater and an electric blanket.

Tomorrow, I'll try to dig out of here and, if I can find one, get to a pet friendly hotel until the new furnace can be installed.

Merry Christmas. BAH HUMBUG!

ktinkel
December 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Oops, so much for my Pollyanna-like wishes. Good luck.

Maybe you will get a super-efficient one, at least.

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Maybe you will get a super-efficient one, at least.Want the real kicker? There's a $1500 tax credit on new high-efficiency furnaces. But I have a steam system. There are NO qualifying steam furnaces. None. And it would cost far more than $1500 to change to a new system.

ktinkel
December 20th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Want the real kicker? There's a $1500 tax credit on new high-efficiency furnaces. But I have a steam system. There are NO qualifying steam furnaces. None. And it would cost far more than $1500 to change to a new system.Ouch.

Sounds like bite-the-bullet time, alas.

ndebord
December 20th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Some temporary repair effort. Sorry to hear that. Funny about space heaters, I'm using one now as I live on the top floor of this old Italian building and heat is, ah, optional, from time to time (the landlord is super, the boiler is original). My little space heater is dying as we speak, so I'm off to buy a new one tomorrow.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas and may chocolate accompany you on your unscheduled trip away from the home hearth.

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Sounds like bite-the-bullet time, alas.Yep, no choice. The cost to repair a steam boiler is within spittin' distance of the cost of a new one, and this one is nearly 20 years old, so it's time.

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Some temporary repair effort. Sorry to hear that. Funny about space heaters, I'm using one now as I live on the top floor of this old Italian building and heat is, ah, optional, from time to time (the landlord is super, the boiler is original). My little space heater is dying as we speak, so I'm off to buy a new one tomorrow.He did his best, Nick. Not his fault the problem was accelerating.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas and may chocolate accompany you on your unscheduled trip away from the home hearth.Thanks much!!