PDA

View Full Version : It has been a while.

John Cutmore
November 6th, 2009, 03:56 AM
I have not visited this forum for a long time because I have been caring for my wife Margaret almost full time for the past three years.

Early this year she was admitted to hospital with a major pressure wound and, when sent home, was confined to bed 24/7 with nurses coming every other day and carers three times a day.

In September she was readmitted to hospital with another major pressure wound for which she had three lots of surgery.

Sadly her health and strength deteriorated and she passed away on 14th October from sepsis and pneumonia as well as the long term effects of MS.

Kind regards

John Cutmore [Diabetes Forum et al]

Judy G. Russell
November 6th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Sadly her health and strength deteriorated and she passed away on 14th October from sepsis and pneumonia as well as the long term effects of MS.Oh, John... I am so sorry to hear this. It has been a long battle for you both. Hugs...

dgermann
November 7th, 2009, 01:09 PM
John--

Prayers and hugs coming your way.

John Cutmore
November 9th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Oh, John... I am so sorry to hear this. It has been a long battle for you both. Hugs...

Thank you Judy and Doug.

While the past few years have been difficult I would have happily gone through it all over again just to have Margaret with me. However the last few months of her life were difficult for her, being confined to bed and relying upon nurses and carers was not much of a life. Being in almost constant pain, despite morphine patches and pain killers, was draining her strength.

It seems that the hospital are of the opinion that our doctors and nurses delayed getting Margaret into hospital when the sacrum wound became too large for them to deal with. There is to be a complete hospital review of her nursing prior to admission. It will not help her but it may help someone in the future.

When they moved Margaret to the High Dependency Unit and put her on palliative care we knew the end was not far away, at least she was not in pain towards the end and slowly she became unconscious.

After 37 years of a very happy marriage life is very lonely.

Kind regards,

John

dgermann
November 9th, 2009, 09:45 PM
John--

I have no idea what to say for you.

We can sometimes only be here for one another, to hear, to witness. Please share more as you feel is right or what you need to say....

Judy G. Russell
November 9th, 2009, 11:33 PM
After 37 years of a very happy marriage life is very lonely.I can't begin to fully comprehend your loss, John, and hope you find peace and joy as I'm sure Margaret would have wanted you to.