PDA

View Full Version : CIS Login fails 8/4/05

Peter Creasey
August 4th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I haven't been able to get past the CIS Login this afternoon (Thursday, 8/4/05).
First it says my password doesn't match my user name. When I reenter it, then it says the login server is not available.

Ordinarily, I just go to the CIS Boards and am automatically recognized...but not this afternoon.

Is this a general problem or is it unique to me?

Judy G. Russell
August 4th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Doesn't seem to be an overall problem. My suggestion in these situations is always to nuke the compuserve cookies (anything with aol, compuserve, netscape or prospero in the cookie name) and try again (after closing and reopening the browser).

Nick Parkin
August 5th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Peter,

At some point you have to ask yourself - is it worth the effort? A good example is the Office & Windows NT Forums. 2 Superb Forums, staffed by brilliant people providing a wonderful service. At least until the "New Better Forums" arrived. Then the additional work load of dealing with the new inferior forums took it's toll on members & sysops alike. Much as I valued those Forums, I find it easier to look elsewhere for my advice :(

Peter Creasey
August 5th, 2005, 10:15 AM
>> nuke the compuserve cookies (anything with aol, compuserve, netscape or prospero in the cookie name) <<

Judy, Using Mozilla Suite tools, I had removed ALL cookies. Still no go!

Peter Creasey
August 5th, 2005, 10:17 AM
>> is it worth the effort? <<

Nick, True! I scan only a small fraction of what I used to scan.

Also bothersome is that certain Board Staff changed the guidelines/styles of their Boards which has encouraged trolls and discouraged oldtime members.

Judy G. Russell
August 5th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Then it's not on your end but rather on Compuserve's end. Nothing you can do about that except wait until later and try again.

Peter Creasey
August 5th, 2005, 02:40 PM
>> Nothing you can do about that except wait until later and try again. <<

Judy, I have received some responses now from people like Hugh, Don, Brian etal who have had the same thing happen to them.

The only way I can find to logout and login under another ID is to logout and remove cookies. Otherwise, it always logs me in with the ID last used for entry.

This means I have to remove cookies each time I want to see if my normal ID is operational again.

As Nick said, it is starting to be almost not worth the hassle anymore.

Judy G. Russell
August 5th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Judy, I have received some responses now from people like Hugh, Don, Brian etal who have had the same thing happen to them.
All I can tell you is that I don't see any official reports on this, and can't replicate it, so... I'm without resources to help.

Gary Maltzen
August 5th, 2005, 04:43 PM
The only way I can find to logout and login under another ID is to logout and remove cookies. Otherwise, it always logs me in with the ID last used for entry.
What do you suppose would happen if you tried creating a separate profile?
Did you check saved passwords.

Peter Creasey
August 7th, 2005, 10:44 AM
>> What do you suppose would happen if you tried creating a separate profile?
Did you check saved passwords. <<

Gary, I don't understand what you mean by "creating a separate profile". When my regular login ID was rejected, I created another screen name so as to try to troubleshoot the problem. And, I don't recall if I checked "saved passwords", but I normally don't use this option.

I just now switched from my auxiliary screen name back to my regular ID which CIS now has working. The only way I could get the switch to work was to remove cookies, exit the browser, reenter the browser, and reenter CIS to be presented the opportunity to login with my old ID.

Gary Maltzen
August 7th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Gary, I don't understand what you mean by "creating a separate profile".
mozilla -Profilemanager
firefox -Profilemanager

Each 'profile' maintains a separate configuration for Mozilla/Firefox

Peter Creasey
August 7th, 2005, 06:21 PM
>> mozilla -Profilemanager <<

Gary, Okay, now I understand. I thought you meant changing the CIS profiles somehow or another.

My experience has been that messing with the browser profiles is less than appetizing. It was surely easier to remove the cookies and get back to the CIS login screen.

MollyM/CA
August 13th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Gary, on my log-in screen for the CS forums, you don't check "remember my password." You have to UNCHECK it if you don't want that cookie on your computer. Every damn time you log in, you have to UNCHECK "remember my password."

If I weren't a sysop in a forum I don't want to let down 'til it goes down...

Peter Creasey
August 14th, 2005, 08:31 AM
My login problems were solved last week but recurred this past Friday and I haven't been able to login using my Classic ID since. I've about decided to give up on it and just use my auxiliary screen name for entry.

Quite annoying!