View Full Version : New Adobe Vulnerability Exploited

davidh
October 9th, 2009, 01:13 PM
New Adobe Vulnerability Exploited in Targeted Attacks
Published: 2009-10-08,
Last Updated: 2009-10-08 20:09:19 UTC
by Johannes Ullrich (Version: 1)
10 comment(s) Facebookacebook witter

Adobe's PSIRT (Product Security Incident Response Team) published a new blog post today [1]. The post reveals that a critical vulnerability, CVE-2009-3459, is now being exploited in the wild in targeted attacks. The vulnerability affects Adobe 9.1.3 on Windows, Unix and OS X. However, the exploits have been limited to Windows so far.

An update scheduled to be released on Oct 13th should fix the problem. Until then, Windows users are advised to enable DEP. Anti malware vendors have been informed by Adobe.

This vulnerability does not require Javascript. If you disabled Javascript in the past, it will not protect you in this case.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=7300&rss

FWIW I've never tried configuring DEP (Data Execution Protection) in my Win XP. Seem like maybe something too complicated for me to want to try to understand in depth enough to figure out which option besides default I might oughta try?
Hopefully disabling plug-ins by NoScript might be enough to prevent unsolicited opening of PDF's in Firefox to provide enough of a temporary workaround for my purposes, until the hoped for fix on Oct 13?

fhaber
October 10th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Enabling DEP for applications (it's enabled by default for most system operations) can be problematical. Some applications barf.