PDA

View Full Version : A serious case of the "I want it!"s

Judy G. Russell
September 2nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Canon announced its new 7D camera on Tuesday. I want one. Badly. Right now. Immediately. If not sooner. 18mp, HD video, better AF, better ISO...

I want one.

Mike
September 3rd, 2009, 02:20 AM
Right now, I'd love to have one of the dark chocolate Reese's Cups I just saw advertised on TV.

Any idea how much the new cameras will cost? At 18 mp, will it the be death of the film SLR?

sidney
September 3rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
Canon announced its new 7D camera on Tuesday. I want one. Badly. Right now. Immediately. If not sooner. 18mp, HD video, better AF, better ISO...

I want one.

ISO 12,800?!?!?

I feel your pain. Really.

Mike, the Canon site quotes an SRP of $1700, which does not include a lens.

I'm glad I can't afford it so I don't have to agonize over whether to buy it :)

Judy G. Russell
September 3rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
Right now, I'd love to have one of the dark chocolate Reese's Cups I just saw advertised on TV.Get thee behind me, Satan!

Any idea how much the new cameras will cost? At 18 mp, will it the be death of the film SLR?The MSRP is $1699, and film... film... I remember that word...

Judy G. Russell
September 3rd, 2009, 09:35 PM
ISO 12,800?!?!?I'm not seriously expecting a decent 12,800... but 6400 would be fabulous.

I'm glad I can't afford it so I don't have to agonize over whether to buy it :)I can tell you right now where my Rutgers teaching money and Christmas bonus are going this year, no doubt about it. I want one...

Mike
September 4th, 2009, 02:32 AM
...the Canon site quotes an SRP of $1700, which does not include a lens.

I'm glad I can't afford it so I don't have to agonize over whether to buy it
I'm in the same situation. It'd have to drop a zero before it's even a thought, in our current financial situation. <sigh>

heinz57g
September 4th, 2009, 02:59 AM
can we not compromise? right now, i'd settle for that chocolate. a nice bar, swiss preferably ...

greetings - heinz -

Mike
September 5th, 2009, 01:32 AM
right now, i'd settle for that chocolate.
I have no choice but to settle for the chocolate!

ndebord
September 5th, 2009, 12:54 PM

I want one.

Judy,

Very nice camera indeed... I'm looking to the next generation of Olympus and Panasonic though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Four_Thirds_System#Disadvantages_of_Micro_Fo ur_Thirds_compared_to_DSLRs

http://gizmodo.com/5092126/panasonic-lumix-dmc+g1-review-worlds-first-micro-four-thirds-digicam

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/pcworld/20090903/tc_pcworld/panasonicolympusshownewmicrofourthirdscameras

No mirror.... all electronic... Caveat: this first generation is slow, not a lot of lenses.

Judy G. Russell
September 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Very nice camera indeed... I'm looking to the next generation of Olympus and Panasonic though.I'm not giving up my Canon lenses any time soon, that's for sure!!!

ndebord
September 6th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I'm not giving up my Canon lenses any time soon, that's for sure!!!

Judy,

My old Canon F1 was my favorite and I have the real .48 from the 1960s which works just fine... but we have moved past film (reluctantly) now. Next camera is problematic right now, as finances are tight, but.... drool is omnipresent!

<g>

Judy G. Russell
September 7th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Next camera is problematic right now, as finances are tight, but.... drool is omnipresent!<g>Oh yeah... no question about the drool. Or the finances, darn it. Thank heavens for my teaching gig. It is definitely paying for the new 7D.

Dan in Saint Louis
September 7th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Oh yeah... no question about the drool. Or the finances, darn it. Thank heavens for my teaching gig. It is definitely paying for the new 7D.
And my Nikon D90 is on the way. Time for some friendly competition.....

Judy G. Russell
September 7th, 2009, 11:19 PM
And my Nikon D90 is on the way. Time for some friendly competition.....The D90 is a fine camera, no doubt, but the 7D is matched against the D300s, not the D90.

Dan in Saint Louis
September 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
The D90 is a fine camera, no doubt, but the 7D is matched against the D300s, not the D90.
Oh, I know the D90 is technically outclassed by the >$1000 set. But I suspect that most of the gain is in features, not picture quality. Truth is, most of our pictures are lens-limited, not sensor-limited in ordinary light. One reason I ordered a D90 is that its sensor beats the one in the D60 by over a stop under poor lighting.

Judy G. Russell
September 9th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Truth is, most of our pictures are lens-limited, not sensor-limited in ordinary light. My lenses are pretty doggoned good, finally. Cost me enough...

One reason I ordered a D90 is that its sensor beats the one in the D60 by over a stop under poor lighting.And that's one of many reasons why I'm upgrading to the 7D -- it should have two stops or more improvement on my 40D.

Dan in Saint Louis
September 9th, 2009, 09:50 AM
My lenses are pretty doggoned good, finally.
Typical JGR understatement!

For D90 teaser, seriously scaled down to <500KB, try here (http://landiss.info/graphics/DSC_0346a.JPG).

Judy G. Russell
September 10th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Typical JGR understatement!They weren't so good when I started out. The 18-55 kit lens wasn't bad, but the 17-55 is a killer -- and the price difference was less than $100 versus $750 used. The 70-300 was okay, but the 70-200 is a killer -- price difference $500 for one, $900 used for the other. I keep telling myself at least it's cheaper than, say, boating...

For D90 teaser, seriously scaled down to <500KB, try here (http://landiss.info/graphics/DSC_0346a.JPG).The D90 is a great camera, don't much like the bokeh in that shot though.

sidney
September 10th, 2009, 04:39 PM
don't much like the bokeh in that shot though.

I had to look up that word, and found it in Wikipedia. I thought it really funny, given that it is an Anglicized Japanese word, that at the end of the article they mention "faux bokeh" :)

Judy G. Russell
September 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I had to look up that word, and found it in Wikipedia. I thought it really funny, given that it is an Anglicized Japanese word, that at the end of the article they mention "faux bokeh" :)LOL! Yeah, well... There's a song by Pete Seeger called All Mixed Up about the mixture that is America that has the lines:
You know this language that we speak,
Is part German, Latin and part Greek
Celtic and Arabic all in a heap,
Well amended by the people in the street.
Choctaw gave us the word "okay";
"Vamoose" is a word from Mexico way.
And all of this is a hint I suspect of what comes next.

[Chorus:]
I think that this whole world
Soon mama my whole wide world
Soon mama my whole world
Soon gonna be gettin' mixed up.
Soon mama my whole world
Soon mama my whole wide world
Soon mama my whole world
Soon gonna be gettin' mixed up.

Dan in Saint Louis
September 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM
The D90 is a great camera, don't much like the bokeh in that shot though.
Maybe somebody will write a filter to convert it to mirror-lens donuts. I love 'em!

Judy G. Russell
September 10th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Maybe somebody will write a filter to convert it to mirror-lens donuts. I love 'em!I'd prefer the mirror lens donut!

Dan in Saint Louis
September 13th, 2009, 04:20 PM
My lenses are pretty doggoned good, finally. Cost me enough...
The "kit" lens with the D90 is an 18-105mm zoom. So far, it looks like it is going to work pretty well.

earler
September 13th, 2009, 04:31 PM
It isn't all that certain that the origin of ok is choctaw. See the following from the oed:

*From the detailed evidence provided by A. W. Read it seems clear that O.K. first appeared as a jocular alteration of the initial letters of all correct (i.e. orl korrect) in 1839, and that in 1840 it was used as an election slogan for ‘Old Kinderhook’ (see sense A b). Thence by stages it made its way into general use. Other suggestions, e.g. that O.K. represents the Choctaw oke ‘it is’, or French au quai, or that it derives from a word in the West African language Wolof via slaves in the southern States of America, all lack any form of acceptable documentation.

The song also overlooks french, which contributed many words, in two waves, first with the normans, then in the 18th century another wave.

Judy G. Russell
September 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM
The song also overlooks frenchMost of us prefer it that way.

Judy G. Russell
September 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM
The "kit" lens with the D90 is an 18-105mm zoom. So far, it looks like it is going to work pretty well.Nice shots, Dan! Have fun with the new gear. Looking forward to seeing some nice stuff from you.

Mike
September 14th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Way cool!

earler
September 14th, 2009, 04:37 AM
That's a silly and racist remark. Whatever their faults the french have been major leaders in math and sciences since the 18th century, and the adoption of so many french words during that century is due to the fact it was the lingua franca of the world at the time. Today many english words have been adopted by the french because english is the lingua franca of the world today.

Judy G. Russell
September 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM
That's a silly and racist remark. Whatever their faults the french have been major leaders in math and sciences since the 18th century, and the adoption of so many french words during that century is due to the fact it was the lingua franca of the world at the time. Today many english words have been adopted by the french because english is the lingua franca of the world today.French is a race?

Seriously, Earle of the Lower Case Letters, you are just too easy to bait. You rise to the occasion even when there isn't one.

Dan in Saint Louis
September 14th, 2009, 08:50 AM
racist remark
I opine that most of the recent wars have been so complicated because the participants will not distinguish religion, ethnic origin and nationality.

Calling an aside about the French "racist" is a great example.

earler
September 14th, 2009, 09:34 AM
My dear, you created the occasion to which I rose because of your knee-jerk slam toward the french.

As for racist, well you are really right, but not under french law. If you make a deploring remark about an african you are guilty under the law against racist remarks. Same for a brit or an american, though you are less likely to had up for such a remark.

Jeff
September 14th, 2009, 11:35 AM
French is a race?

Seriously, Earle of the Lower Case Letters, you are just too easy to bait. You rise to the occasion even when there isn't one.

DNFTT

- Jeff

earler
September 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Can't you just ignore me and stay in your sandbox?

ndebord
September 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Most of us prefer it that way.

Judy,

The German part of me applauds that view; the French part is outraged, while the Swede in me is neutral.

;-)

Judy G. Russell
September 20th, 2009, 10:17 AM
The German part of me applauds that view; the French part is outraged, while the Swede in me is neutral.LOL!!