PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird spell check

Jeff
August 15th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I have pretty much figured out Thunderbird 2.0, or at least well enough for my purposes, except I cannot get it to spell check the subject area. An unnoticed tpyo there has bitten me more than once. Is there a way to get it to do that?

- Jeff

Dan in Saint Louis
August 15th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I have pretty much figured out Thunderbird 2.0, or at least well enough for my purposes, except I cannot get it to spell check the subject area. An unnoticed tpyo there has bitten me more than once. Is there a way to get it to do that?

- Jeff
Mine [version 2.0.0.22 (20090605)] doesn't either until I right-click in the Subject field -- even though Mozilla says that old bug has been fixed.

sidney
August 15th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I have pretty much figured out Thunderbird 2.0, or at least well enough for my purposes, except I cannot get it to spell check the subject area

My Mac version marks the misspelled words for me as I type, but that may be a matter of integration with the Mac OS services.

Speaking of spill chuckers, by coincidence just before reading this I encountered this example of the effect of Microsoft Word's spelling dictionary containing the common spelling "co-operation" but not the less frequently used spelling "cooperation". As a result, at least at the time this was written, using "cooperation" could result in a spelling error being flagged and strange "correct" suggestions being made.

This is from a report of a meeting by the International Organization for Migration.

The Western Balkan countries confirmed their intention to further liberalise trade amongst each other. They requested that they be included in the pan-european system of diagonal copulation, which would benefit trade and economic development.

Mike
August 16th, 2009, 02:02 AM
LOL!

Jeff
August 16th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Mine [version 2.0.0.22 (20090605)] doesn't either until I right-click in the Subject field -- even though Mozilla says that old bug has been fixed.

Mine reports the same 2.0.0.22 (20090605), but right clicking in the field gets me nothing about spelling. What it does is put up the little menu with Paste and Select All lit with the other four grayed out, and at the same time the spell button in the top bar goes dark. What does your right-click do?

- Jeff

Jeff
August 16th, 2009, 12:03 PM
My Mac version marks the misspelled words for me as I type, but that may be a matter of integration with the Mac OS services.

My PC version sometimes does that too; a red carrot underline, even though I have it turned off.

As to the other and my cup of coffee, would you please send a wipe for my screen?

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
August 16th, 2009, 08:51 PM
the pan-european system of diagonal copulationWhat page is that on in the Kama Sutra?

fhaber
August 23rd, 2009, 11:08 AM
Not the Kama Sutra, but rather...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao

Judy G. Russell
August 23rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
Not the Kama Sutra, but rather...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41aoROFL!!! That was hilarious.

Mike
August 24th, 2009, 02:44 AM
...I cannot get it to spell check the subject area.
How are you doing the spell check? Manually? "Spell Check Before Send"? "Spell Check As You Type"?

I use the last option, which causes T-bird to put a red wavy line under misspelled words. It does that in the subject, along with the body. See the attached image.

Jeff
August 24th, 2009, 12:09 PM
How are you doing the spell check? Manually? "Spell Check Before Send"? "Spell Check As You Type"?

Yes, yes, and I have the third turned off but it does it in the subject area anyway. That however is difficult to notice since it does not pop up and offer alternative spellings. I also have the latest TBird version from a couple of days ago, no change. The only thing worse than an annoyance, is an annoyance that makes no sense.

- Jeff

Mike
August 25th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Yes, yes, and I have the third turned off but it does it in the subject area anyway. That however is difficult to notice since it does not pop up and offer alternative spellings.
I can't offer help on the lack of pop-ups. If you do notice the wavy red line, however, you can right-click on the word and suggested spellings will be shown.

Since my computer is relatively fast, I find it easier to work with spell-check-while-typing. However, I certainly realize it's not for everyone.

Jeff
August 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I can't offer help on the lack of pop-ups. If you do notice the wavy red line, however, you can right-click on the word and suggested spellings will be shown.

Thanks Mike, but here's my right-click on the red wavy.

sidney
August 25th, 2009, 08:30 PM
here's my right-click on the red wavy.

I don't know how you get a red wavy without having "spell check as you type" enabled (I don't get that), but I have verified that right-click gives you a spelling menu only when that option is enabled, on both Windows and Mac.

Jeff
August 26th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I don't know how you get a red wavy without having "spell check as you type" enabled (I don't get that), but I have verified that right-click gives you a spelling menu only when that option is enabled, on both Windows and Mac.

I don't know either, but what you saw is what I get. However I just turned it on, and now right-click gets me this. I hadn't seen this menu before because I hadn't turned real-time on before because I don't want the distraction of the red wavy. So there seems to be a bug of sorts, in that the only way TBird will spell check the subject area is with real time on. But maybe it's only half a bug because for me anyway it does put up the red wavy with real-time off, which is better than ignoring the field completely.

- Jeff