PDA

View Full Version : Beating Boston...

Judy G. Russell
August 7th, 2009, 12:06 AM
They said the dry spell couldn't last, or so they said.

They said there had never been a season where the Yanks went 0-9 against Boston, or so they said.

They said the Yanks were getting better and stronger and more confident, or so they said.

I am sooooooooo glad they were right...

ndebord
August 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM
They said the dry spell couldn't last, or so they said.

They said there had never been a season where the Yanks went 0-9 against Boston, or so they said.

They said the Yanks were getting better and stronger and more confident, or so they said.

I am sooooooooo glad they were right...

Judy,

Smoltz is toast.... unfortunately, Joba wasn't much better... considering how good he has been since the All-Star Break, chalk it up to rust (off 7 days) and inexperience. Now on to tonight and aces matching up. AJ vs Beckett.

Judy G. Russell
August 7th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Now on to tonight and aces matching up. AJ vs Beckett.It's been one hell of a pitchers' duel tonight. I suspect we're about to lose with Bruney pitching here in the 14th, but hey...

Okay okay so I maligned Bruney. Yanks win in 15 with a homer by Rodriguez, scoring Jeter. Final: Yankees 2, Boston 0. Take that, buried jersey!!

Judy G. Russell
August 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Three in a row!!! Five and a half games in front. And the best record in baseball. Who woulda thunk it...

ndebord
August 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Three in a row!!! Five and a half games in front. And the best record in baseball. Who woulda thunk it...

Judy,

Just like in May, one team is hurting and the other on a roll: we happen to be the team on a roll right now and one more thing. Cashman is now looking like the better GM. His players that he nutured in the minors have all come home to feast on Beantown. Did you see Robertson in the 9th? Looked like a loser when he had two runners on base, but he came back and blew them away, all the time looking over his shoulder at Mo who was up and ready to go.

And CC threw 123 pitches (don't like that, but there was not a choice this time out. The bullpen was gassed after the 15 inning marathon won by A-ROD in a walkoff homerun.... WHO would have guessed?).

What a game and tomorrow Andy gets Lester (their other ace). This should be interesting indeed!

Judy G. Russell
August 8th, 2009, 10:22 PM
What a game That it was. Just plain fun.

and tomorrow Andy gets Lester (their other ace). This should be interesting indeed!It will be, and even if Andy can't hold 'em, 3 of 4 ain't bad at all.

ndebord
August 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM
It's been one hell of a pitchers' duel tonight. I suspect we're about to lose with Bruney pitching here in the 14th, but hey...

Okay okay so I maligned Bruney. Yanks win in 15 with a homer by Rodriguez, scoring Jeter. Final: Yankees 2, Boston 0. Take that, buried jersey!!

Judy,

Don't feel bad, I was maligning Joe Girardi for using Bruney (who I absolutely love), but give credit. Bruney is back and I am soooo happpy!

(Guess they got all of that jersey dug up after all!)

Mike Landi
August 9th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Judy,

Don't feel bad, I was maligning Joe Girardi for using Bruney (who I absolutely love), but give credit. Bruney is back and I am soooo happpy!

(Guess they got all of that jersey dug up after all!)
How about this???!! The Yanks sweep Boston and go 6 1/2 games up. Pettite kept them off the board.

I really was expecting a loss today. Wow......!

ndebord
August 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM
How about this???!! The Yanks sweep Boston and go 6 1/2 games up. Pettite kept them off the board.

I really was expecting a loss today. Wow......!

Mike,

I watched game channel and saw Andy and Lester throwing pills. Incredible pitching in this series.

Judy G. Russell
August 9th, 2009, 11:23 PM
(Guess they got all of that jersey dug up after all!)It sure looks that way!!

Judy G. Russell
August 9th, 2009, 11:25 PM
How about this???!! The Yanks sweep Boston and go 6 1/2 games up. Pettite kept them off the board. I really was expecting a loss today. Wow......!BREAK OUT THE BROOMS!!!!

Six and a half games up and the best record in baseball. Unbelievable!!

Mike Landi
August 10th, 2009, 04:00 PM
BREAK OUT THE BROOMS!!!!

Six and a half games up and the best record in baseball. Unbelievable!!
Stunning....after what we looked like in May.

...and we don't see Halladay this next series?

Mike Landi
August 10th, 2009, 04:01 PM
It sure looks that way!!
I think burying jersey buried David Ortiz. Look at what has happened to him since that event.

Mike Landi
August 10th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Mike,

I watched game channel and saw Andy and Lester throwing pills. Incredible pitching in this series.
Talk about rising to the occasion!

ndebord
August 10th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I think burying jersey buried David Ortiz. Look at what has happened to him since that event.

Mike,

Ortiz misses Ramirez... no more hanging out at the Malt Shop for the two of them.

;-)

Judy G. Russell
August 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Stunning....after what we looked like in May.Hard -- almost impossible -- to believe. The way we looked in May, I didn't think we'd make it into the playoffs, much less into first place with the best record.

Mike Landi
August 11th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Mike,

Ortiz misses Ramirez... no more hanging out at the Malt Shop for the two of them.

;-)
<LOL>

I thought splitting those two up would hurt Ortiz, but not that much.

ndebord
August 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
<LOL>

I thought splitting those two up would hurt Ortiz, but not that much.

Mike,

A historical pairing, half gone to L.A. and the other half adrift.

ndebord
August 11th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Stunning....after what we looked like in May.

...and we don't see Halladay this next series?

Mike,

Unfortunately Toronto did SEE Mitre.

:-(

Mike Landi
August 11th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Mike,

Unfortunately Toronto did SEE Mitre.

:-(
Mitre is a #5 starter...a work in progress. He gives up hits and home runs. <sigh>

The hole in our rotation.

ndebord
August 11th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Mitre is a #5 starter...a work in progress. He gives up hits and home runs. <sigh>

The hole in our rotation.

Mike,

As is Joba too often, it seems, like tonight when he was not good, but Matsui, then Posada saved the game and we go on to the deciding game tomorrow.

Mike Landi
August 12th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Mike,

As is Joba too often, it seems, like tonight when he was not good, but Matsui, then Posada saved the game and we go on to the deciding game tomorrow.
Today, the Yankees put Joba on a 7 day rotation. Looks to me like the Yanks are preparing for the playoffs. Who is this Gardon (or whatever) we used today? From San Diego I think.

Judy G. Russell
August 13th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Who is this Gardon (or whatever) we used today? LOL! I've been asking that about a LOT of the pitchers lately.

Mike Landi
August 13th, 2009, 08:38 AM
LOL! I've been asking that about a LOT of the pitchers lately.
I hope he is good, he is taking Joba's place this weekend, to give Joba a break on innings pitched.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a difficult west coast trip. Three of the games start after 10pm EDT and we have some injuries. Posada, A-Rod, Jeter and Rivera. The first two are a problem and Jeter is very good at hiding how much pain he is in.

I hope Girardi rests these guys, even if it costs us a couple of games. We go to Boston next week! I think Giaradi should rest some of these players as we play Seattle and Oakland and have them fresh for Bean Town.

ndebord
August 13th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Today, the Yankees put Joba on a 7 day rotation. Looks to me like the Yanks are preparing for the playoffs. Who is this Gardon (or whatever) we used today? From San Diego I think.

Mike,

Up and down season, is the phrase you hear most about Chad Gaudin. Here's a story I found:

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090805&content_id=6252532&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

Came up from the minors in 2003, no college. Injured a lot. Not tall, 5' 10" and has good command (two to one ratio strikes/balls), but is either good or very, very bad. Don't know anything about his pitches. If I had to guess? At best, a No. 5 starter or reliever.

Mike Landi
August 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Mike,

Up and down season, is the phrase you hear most about Chad Gaudin. Here's a story I found:

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090805&content_id=6252532&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

Came up from the minors in 2003, no college. Injured a lot. Not tall, 5' 10" and has good command (two to one ratio strikes/balls), but is either good or very, very bad. Don't know anything about his pitches. If I had to guess? At best, a No. 5 starter or reliever.
Sounds like he an Mitre will battle for the bottom of the rotation. They pitch back-to-back this weekend. Hopefully, the competition will bring out the best in them.

...if not, they both could stink up Safeco.

Judy G. Russell
August 13th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I have a feeling that this is going to be a difficult west coast trip. ... I hope Girardi rests these guys, even if it costs us a couple of games. We go to Boston next week! I think Giaradi should rest some of these players as we play Seattle and Oakland and have them fresh for Bean Town.He won't. He's not a good enough manager to realize he needs to.

Mike Landi
August 14th, 2009, 08:26 AM
He won't. He's not a good enough manager to realize he needs to.
Posada and A-Rod sat. Rivera was not needed or used. I hope at least A-Rod sits tonight.

Sabathia was on fire from what I read. I can't stay up for 10pm starts.

ndebord
August 14th, 2009, 09:13 PM
He won't. He's not a good enough manager to realize he needs to.

Judy,

Posada and A-Rod are hurting... both will rest for a game or two. Jeter says he is fine and they'll let him do what he wants. They won't bring Cervelli up now, probably at Sept callup, but I guess they can get by with the two they have. Gardner's thumb is still bothering him and that bothers me. Hairston is a good pickup and can play most positions well, a big plus and I have to say having Pena in the Bigs makes me happy.

Pitching? Joba will have to adapt to pitching with variable days off, a routine that would have driven someone like Moose quite mad.

As you say, let us cross our fingers on this road trip to the West Coast. Time to bury some demons I hope!

ndebord
August 14th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Posada and A-Rod sat. Rivera was not needed or used. I hope at least A-Rod sits tonight.

Sabathia was on fire from what I read. I can't stay up for 10pm starts.

Mike,

C'mon... instead of Scotch Rocks, make it Xpresso shots! That'll keep you up and yes, CC was incredible.

ndebord
August 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM
LOL! I've been asking that about a LOT of the pitchers lately.

Judy,

Well, you don't have to worry. Andy was Dandy for 6 innings. And then, well it just doesn't get much better than this. Tie game (2-2), Tex at the plate in the 9th inning and a two-run home run, followed up by Mo pitching a scoreless bottom of the 9th (add zeroes from Bruney in the 7th and Hughes in the 8th and you're in 1996-style heaven)!

Judy G. Russell
August 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Not so good today, though... Still, it was a good day all around with Texas knocking Boston out of first place in the wild card standings!

ndebord
August 16th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Not so good today, though... Still, it was a good day all around with Texas knocking Boston out of first place in the wild card standings!

Judy,

Joba was bad once again.... I think he is close to his pitch limit, regardless of some artificial number they put out there. As for Mo, the other night, a hit, a base on ball and he makes the save, but if you look at his recent numbers he is giving up more hits than normal. I worry.

Mike Landi
August 17th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Mike,

C'mon... instead of Scotch Rocks, make it Xpresso shots! That'll keep you up and yes, CC was incredible.
:)

7 1/2 games up. Yeah, the bullpen stunk up the joint yesterday but we still have a comfortable lead.

Mike Landi
August 17th, 2009, 07:53 AM
To think of Boston being out of the playoffs is amazing. At the start of the year it looked like Boston would run away with it.

ndebord
August 17th, 2009, 03:15 PM
To think of Boston being out of the playoffs is amazing. At the start of the year it looked like Boston would run away with it.

Mike,

When Ortiz became mortal, so too did Beantown. Ramirez and Ortiz were the best 1-2 punch in modern major league history and I don't think the team has recovered from that. And they got cheap on the pitching front. Instead of Smoltz and Penny, if they had gotten one first line pitcher, they'd be better by far. Buckholtz (sp) is like Joba, a rookie and not a No. 2 or 3 starter, although he shows great promise.

ndebord
August 17th, 2009, 03:17 PM
:)

7 1/2 games up. Yeah, the bullpen stunk up the joint yesterday but we still have a comfortable lead.

Mike,

There's something going on with Ace's shoulder that they're not talking about. Fatigued shoulder is usually a cover for something more serious.

Mike Landi
August 18th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Mike,

There's something going on with Ace's shoulder that they're not talking about. Fatigued shoulder is usually a cover for something more serious.
Something is not quite right with Ace. I hope it is just fatigue, but I wonder.

Where did our offense go? AJ gives up 3 runs in a complete game and loses 0-3?

Mike Landi
August 18th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Mike,

When Ortiz became mortal, so too did Beantown. Ramirez and Ortiz were the best 1-2 punch in modern major league history and I don't think the team has recovered from that. And they got cheap on the pitching front. Instead of Smoltz and Penny, if they had gotten one first line pitcher, they'd be better by far. Buckholtz (sp) is like Joba, a rookie and not a No. 2 or 3 starter, although he shows great promise.
I can't agree more! I thought losing Ramirez was a death knell for the Bosox and I wondered what they were up to getting some old arms.

...not that I am complaining. :)

ndebord
August 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Something is not quite right with Ace. I hope it is just fatigue, but I wonder.

Where did our offense go? AJ gives up 3 runs in a complete game and loses 0-3?

Mike,

Tomko? Who would've thunk it. <sigh>

The team played with more fire when Pena, Gardner, Cervelli were all in there. Just my thoughts on the matter, as for last night there was miscommunication between Posada and Burnett, but you gotta score runs to win a game and we didn't do that. Matsui's knee got drained and so he was out and that is a big bat and Posada has cooled off a lot.

P.S. Talking about relief pitching and my feeling that most of the guys who came up from AAA were not true relievers, this from Scranton's pitching coach in a similar vein:

“First batters faced have to improve," Aldred said. "You’ve got one guy, here it is, you have to get it done now. You don’t have three or four hitters or an inning, inning and a half to figure it out. It has to happen now. Until I see that, where he [Kroenke] comes right in and that first batter he faces, the lefty, he dominates him and does it time and time again, he’s not a situational guy.”

Neither are most of the pitchers who have shuttled back and forth to New York this season. A second left-hander who can work as a long man wouldn't be the worst thing in New York right now, and Kroenke's certainly earned a shot."

Judy G. Russell
August 18th, 2009, 04:34 PM
To think of Boston being out of the playoffs is amazing. At the start of the year it looked like Boston would run away with it.It could happen. And nobody (except maybe your aunt) would be happier...

Mike Landi
August 18th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Mike,

Tomko? Who would've thunk it. <sigh>

The team played with more fire when Pena, Gardner, Cervelli were all in there. Just my thoughts on the matter, as for last night there was miscommunication between Posada and Burnett, but you gotta score runs to win a game and we didn't do that. Matsui's knee got drained and so he was out and that is a big bat and Posada has cooled off a lot.

P.S. Talking about relief pitching and my feeling that most of the guys who came up from AAA were not true relievers, this from Scranton's pitching coach in a similar vein:

“First batters faced have to improve," Aldred said. "You’ve got one guy, here it is, you have to get it done now. You don’t have three or four hitters or an inning, inning and a half to figure it out. It has to happen now. Until I see that, where he [Kroenke] comes right in and that first batter he faces, the lefty, he dominates him and does it time and time again, he’s not a situational guy.”

Neither are most of the pitchers who have shuttled back and forth to New York this season. A second left-hander who can work as a long man wouldn't be the worst thing in New York right now, and Kroenke's certainly earned a shot."
Interesting....where'd you find that?

Mike Landi
August 18th, 2009, 07:59 PM
It could happen. And nobody (except maybe your aunt) would be happier...
My aunt is very worried. We lost two in a row and are down to 7 games. We could be out of first place in a week.

She's afraid of watching when the other team is at bat. They might score. (If you think I'm kidding......I'm not.)

ndebord
August 18th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Interesting....where'd you find that?

Mike,

Kind of in your neck of the woods... A Scranton blog that follows the AAA team and the pitching coach was discussing Kroenke when he made those revelations about the current crop of pitchers who were called up. As I look at this season and parts of the last two, the Yankees are utilizing their AAA team to a much bigger degree than ever before. This is the Cashman revolution. He has and is still paying more than other teams in the draft to get his choices into the minor league system and then promoting them all the way to the bigs.

At the major league level, that has meant churn in middle relief as pitchers are being asked to do things they weren't particularly apt at on their way up the ladder (Ace is a prime example).

It just goes to show how unique Mo has been over the years.

Mike Landi
August 19th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Mike,

Kind of in your neck of the woods... A Scranton blog that follows the AAA team and the pitching coach was discussing Kroenke when he made those revelations about the current crop of pitchers who were called up. As I look at this season and parts of the last two, the Yankees are utilizing their AAA team to a much bigger degree than ever before. This is the Cashman revolution. He has and is still paying more than other teams in the draft to get his choices into the minor league system and then promoting them all the way to the bigs.

At the major league level, that has meant churn in middle relief as pitchers are being asked to do things they weren't particularly apt at on their way up the ladder (Ace is a prime example).

It just goes to show how unique Mo has been over the years.
The comparisons of K-Rod or Billy Wagner to Mo are just laughable now. To compare a pitcher to Mariano now would require a consistency of over 10 years. No one comes close.

Judy G. Russell
August 19th, 2009, 11:40 PM
My aunt is very worried. We lost two in a row and are down to 7 games. We could be out of first place in a week. She's afraid of watching when the other team is at bat. They might score. (If you think I'm kidding......I'm not.)ROFL!! If she's worried now, I'd hate to have seen her in May or June!

Mike Landi
August 20th, 2009, 07:59 AM
ROFL!! If she's worried now, I'd hate to have seen her in May or June!
She is the quintessential worried Yankee fan. One loss indicates major weakness and failure in the team. One loss starts losing streaks. A missed play means someone is hurt and will go on the DL and affect the team, and....

...typical fan. :)

ndebord
August 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM
She is the quintessential worried Yankee fan. One loss indicates major weakness and failure in the team. One loss starts losing streaks. A missed play means someone is hurt and will go on the DL and affect the team, and....

...typical fan. :)

Mike,

I'm so hopeful about this year's team, that at times I can identify with your Aunt!

As for Ace, he got the win last night, but he gave up the runs too. A mixed performance. The new guy, Gaudin, was flawless through 4 1/3 innings, but if you look at his stats, his strikes to balls ratio was even 5 and 5. A very good pitcher can toy with an opposing lineup by walking dangerous hitters and get away with it, anyone else, its a crap shoot. So far this new guy has done good.

And Jeter? Wow. I take it back... he has reinvented himself this season and is having an all-star year. WOW!

P.S. And Girardi seems to be learning. He had Coke pitch to one batter, a leftie, and he got the out. The role of a lefthander specialist done right.

ndebord
August 20th, 2009, 10:30 AM
The comparisons of K-Rod or Billy Wagner to Mo are just laughable now. To compare a pitcher to Mariano now would require a consistency of over 10 years. No one comes close.

Mike,

You have to compare Mo now to history, not to his current crop of contemporaries. You have to go back in time to find ones I like who are close, like the Goose and Rollie Fingers. I guess Trevor Hoffman is the guy to look to with the most saves ever. But I don't think anyone has been as efficient or reliable as Mo. Last night Mo gave up zero hits, zero runs and only threw 7 pitches, 5 of which were strikes. Wow!

Mike Landi
August 20th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Mike,

I'm so hopeful about this year's team, that at times I can identify with your Aunt!

As for Ace, he got the win last night, but he gave up the runs too. A mixed performance. The new guy, Gaudin, was flawless through 4 1/3 innings, but if you look at his stats, his strikes to balls ratio was even 5 and 5. A very good pitcher can toy with an opposing lineup by walking dangerous hitters and get away with it, anyone else, its a crap shoot. So far this new guy has done good.

And Jeter? Wow. I take it back... he has reinvented himself this season and is having an all-star year. WOW!

P.S. And Girardi seems to be learning. He had Coke pitch to one batter, a leftie, and he got the out. The role of a lefthander specialist done right.
How about our old first baseman?

Released.

Mike Landi
August 20th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Mike,

You have to compare Mo now to history, not to his current crop of contemporaries. You have to go back in time to find ones I like who are close, like the Goose and Rollie Fingers. I guess Trevor Hoffman is the guy to look to with the most saves ever. But I don't think anyone has been as efficient or reliable as Mo. Last night Mo gave up zero hits, zero runs and only threw 7 pitches, 5 of which were strikes. Wow!
The pitch count for Mo is amazing. He throws more in the 'pen than on the mound. Hoffman has more saves, but who is more affective?

Mo is better than Goose, hands down. I don't remember Fingers at his peak but I think the stats are in Mo's favor.

Wouldn't it be neat to have both Mo and Jeter go into the Hall in the same class?

ndebord
August 20th, 2009, 11:06 PM
How about our old first baseman?

Released.

Mike,

I always liked "stone hands" Giambi. I had hoped he could go out on a high note with Oakland, but he was toast. <sigh>

Mike Landi
August 21st, 2009, 08:50 AM
Mike,

I always liked "stone hands" Giambi. I had hoped he could go out on a high note with Oakland, but he was toast. <sigh>
I liked him too and kept hoping that he would break out in NY with huge numbers. Alas, he was always hurt and was quick to 'K'. He did have a great eye and a very good on base percentage.

I hope he lands on his feet...as long as it is not in Boston. :)

Judy G. Russell
August 21st, 2009, 10:17 PM
I'm so hopeful about this year's team, that at times I can identify with your Aunt!Can't believe that game tonight. 20-11??? Good grief!! But at least it was 20-11 OUR WAY!!!

Mike Landi
August 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Can't believe that game tonight. 20-11??? Good grief!! But at least it was 20-11 OUR WAY!!!
I watched the whole thing and to be honest, it was uncomfortable. The Red Sox are not that bad and we beat them like a rented mule. I'm glad we won but seeing another team get the stuffing kicked out of them is not a good game.

Now, when it was 11-1, I was enjoying it. <evil grin>

I wonder if it is payback time.......

ndebord
August 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Can't believe that game tonight. 20-11??? Good grief!! But at least it was 20-11 OUR WAY!!!

Judy,

I saw a tough and smarter Girardi... he left Mitre in even when we was resembling the bad Pennny that Boston threw at us. That leaves all our good relief pitchers rested for the rest of the series.

Nice.

ndebord
August 22nd, 2009, 10:36 AM
I watched the whole thing and to be honest, it was uncomfortable. The Red Sox are not that bad and we beat them like a rented mule. I'm glad we won but seeing another team get the stuffing kicked out of them is not a good game.

Now, when it was 11-1, I was enjoying it. <evil grin>

I wonder if it is payback time.......

Mike,

Hmmm. double digit doesn't make you hurl until it gets to the twenties? <g>

Matsui came oh so close to hitting 3 homers last night!

Mike Landi
August 22nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Judy,

I saw a tough and smarter Girardi... he left Mitre in even when we was resembling the bad Pennny that Boston threw at us. That leaves all our good relief pitchers rested for the rest of the series.

Nice.
...and AJ comes in with nothing. Boston beats us up the way we beat them, actually worse by the numbers.

So it is up to CC to gives us the series....

Judy G. Russell
August 22nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
...and AJ comes in with nothing.AJ had a complete and total meltdown. Bleah.

ndebord
August 22nd, 2009, 10:47 PM
AJ had a complete and total meltdown. Bleah.

Judy,

That's 3 losses in a row for AJ and all three with the catcher he has "enjoyed" miscommunications with: Posada.

ndebord
August 22nd, 2009, 10:48 PM
...and AJ comes in with nothing. Boston beats us up the way we beat them, actually worse by the numbers.

Mike,

CC is the horse and let's let him do it.

Mike Landi
August 23rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
AJ had a complete and total meltdown. Bleah.
It looks to me as if he is not prepared sometimes. He did not look warmed up and was stubborn about what pitch to throw.

I wish he had paid more attention to Posada.

ndebord
August 23rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
It looks to me as if he is not prepared sometimes. He did not look warmed up and was stubborn about what pitch to throw.

I wish he had paid more attention to Posada.

Mike,

Posada does not do a good job of calling games. It has been his knock througout his career. His reputation has always been of being a "hitting catcher" which says it all. AJ and Posada are not on the same page and haven't been for 3 games now and it behooves the Manager to use his other catcher (I wish he had Cervelli in the mix) with this pitcher. After all, it would not be the first time there is a particular catcher for one pitcher in a rotation.

ndebord
August 23rd, 2009, 10:39 PM

Mike,

Yes, it was up to CC and he did... seven and a half in front!

And CC was followed by Hughes and Rivera's scoreless 2 innings!

<VBG>

Judy G. Russell
August 23rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
Yes, it was up to CC and he did... seven and a half in front! And CC was followed by Hughes and Rivera's scoreless 2 innings!<VBG>Lovely game, lovely series, lovely 7.5 game lead!!

Mike Landi
August 24th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Mike,

Yes, it was up to CC and he did... seven and a half in front!

And CC was followed by Hughes and Rivera's scoreless 2 innings!

<VBG>
That was a tough game. CC labored and so did Becket. Fortunately, Becket was not up to the challenge.

I think Jeter is making a good case for MVP!

Mike Landi
August 24th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Lovely game, lovely series, lovely 7.5 game lead!!
Now we need to stay healthy. I think the playoffs is a given. How we hit the playoffs is another question.

ndebord
August 24th, 2009, 11:40 AM
That was a tough game. CC labored and so did Becket. Fortunately, Becket was not up to the challenge.

I think Jeter is making a good case for MVP!

Mike,

I've been watching clips of Jeter's play in the field. He has made an adjustment that has allowed him to get to more balls to his left, but not as many further out. And yes, MVP caliber play. As for Beckett, he has been struggling for 3 games now an dis going through one of those patches, not to take anything away from Godzilla, et al!

ndebord
August 24th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Lovely game, lovely series, lovely 7.5 game lead!!

Judy,

Seven and a half beautiful games. <VBG> (with 38 left to play)

Mike Landi
August 24th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Mike,

I've been watching clips of Jeter's play in the field. He has made an adjustment that has allowed him to get to more balls to his left, but not as many further out. And yes, MVP caliber play. As for Beckett, he has been struggling for 3 games now an dis going through one of those patches, not to take anything away from Godzilla, et al!
Boston and Texas are going to fight for the wild card. I who will play the @#$%! LA Angels in the first round. We have to beat those guys!

ndebord
August 24th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Boston and Texas are going to fight for the wild card. I who will play the @#$%! LA Angels in the first round. We have to beat those guys!

Mike,

We don't beat anybody unless we get AJ turned around and to do that, Girardi has to get it in his head that another catcher than Posada needs to be his batterymate.

I don't get his logic on this. He already has Molina catching CC and the Post ran an article today talking about how much higher AJ's ERA was when Posada was catching vs all the other catchers who have been on the club this year. What gives???