PDA

View Full Version : Screen Shots

Dodi Schultz
July 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM
My ability to do a screen shot has disappeared. Anyone here have any notion what might account for that? And/or what I might contemplate doing about it?

TIA.

--DS

ktinkel
July 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Dodi: Do you mean that clicking on the paperclick icon or choosing Attach Attachments in the Additional Options pane does not give you a box with an “Upload” button?

Or something else?

jdh
July 13th, 2009, 11:17 PM
My ability to do a screen shot has disappeared. Anyone here have any notion what might account for that? And/or what I might contemplate doing about it?

TIA.

--DSMaybe you're talking about the "print screen" key , or about the "alt + printscreen" key combination?

DH

Dodi Schultz
July 14th, 2009, 07:29 PM
It's--or it WAS--Ctrl-PrintScreen. That's what worked before, anyway. Maybe I'll try Alt-PrintScreen. (But why would it change?)

Computers gonna drive me crazy.

--Dodi

jdh
July 14th, 2009, 07:51 PM
It's--or it WAS--Ctrl-PrintScreen. That's what worked before, anyway. Maybe I'll try Alt-PrintScreen. (But why would it change?)

Computers gonna drive me crazy.

--DodiAFAIK, alt print screen has always worked ok since Windows 3.1
Works ok on my XP now.

Dan in Saint Louis
July 14th, 2009, 09:48 PM
{PrintScrn} for the entire desktop, {Alt+PrintScrn} for the active window.

Dodi Schultz
July 15th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Okay, guys, thanks! I'll try that and let you know what happens.

--Dodi

Dodi Schultz
July 15th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Tried Alt-PrintScreen.

No joy.

--Dodi

Judy G. Russell
July 15th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Tried Alt-PrintScreen.Dodi, what operating system are you running now?

Dodi Schultz
July 16th, 2009, 08:32 AM
It's Win 98SE, Judy.

I should add that I've got a Northgate OmniKey 102 keyboard, and that does make a slight difference: It's set up so that PrintScreen has to be hit twice. But that didn't prove a problem earlier: Instead of Ctrl-PrintScreen, it was Ctrl-PrintScreen,Ctrl-PrintScreen. And that worked.

Now, it doesn't. Nor does substituting Alt for Ctrl.

BTW, what I'm trying to get--if it matters--is a particular page of Thunderbird.

--Dodi

Judy G. Russell
July 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM
It's Win 98SE, Judy.Rather than try to reinvent the wheel, why not change to a better, more effective wheel? Try this freeware (http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/).

Jeff
July 17th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Rather than try to reinvent the wheel, why not change to a better, more effective wheel? Try this freeware (http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/).

Thankee for the link! It's now dl'ed and waiting to be run. IrfanView can do something like PrtScn, but not all that easily.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
July 17th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Thankee for the link! It's now dl'ed and waiting to be run. IrfanView can do something like PrtScn, but not all that easily.I haven't used this myself, Jeff, but others I know have. Let us know how easy you find it to use and customize.

Jeff
July 18th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I haven't used this myself, Jeff, but others I know have. Let us know how easy you find it to use and customize.

This is good stuff! And it's all behind the usual keyboard PrtScn key. Press and go, right after you look through four simple menus to tell it how and where to go. Of course it defaults to the last settings if you don't do the menu. It's simple and good, and simple is always good.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
July 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM
This is good stuff! And it's all behind the usual keyboard PrtScn key. Press and go, right after you look through four simple menus to tell it how and where to go. Of course it defaults to the last settings if you don't do the menu. It's simple and good, and simple is always good.Terrific, Jeff! Thanks for the first hand report.

jdh
July 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM
IrfanView can do something like PrtScn, but not all that easily.

- JeffThank you too for the reminder about IrfanView. I rediscovered the capture functionality on the IrfanView "Options" menu.

Lindsey
July 20th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I should add that I've got a Northgate OmniKey 102 keyboard, and that does make a slight difference: It's set up so that PrintScreen has to be hit twice. But that didn't prove a problem earlier: Instead of Ctrl-PrintScreen, it was Ctrl-PrintScreen,Ctrl-PrintScreen. And that worked.

Rather than try to reinvent the wheel, why not change to a better, more effective wheel? Try this freeware (http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/).

Or: SnagIt (http://www.techsmith.com/snagit/features.asp) isn't free, but it's not terribly expensive, and you can download a trial copy. It's what we use at the office, and everyone who has tried it there doesn't know how they ever lived without it.

davidh
July 20th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Or: SnagIt (http://www.techsmith.com/snagit/features.asp) isn't free, but it's not terribly expensive, and you can download a trial copy. It's what we use at the office, and everyone who has tried it there doesn't know how they ever lived without it. I had an old version of SnagIt. Probably still on my old Win 98.

One thing I especially liked [WHEN IT WORKED] was the ability to autoscroll and capture a whole document, whole page, whole picture, whole whatever, out of the "client area" of the active window. Of course it was also aggravating when that DIDN'T work :(

I wonder how well the new versions of it work on XP, Vista, and Windows 7?

Using a different approach, it seems as if a lot of useful capturing could be done by printing to a PostScript file (Apple Writer printer driver?) or to a PDF file.

Lindsey
July 20th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I wonder how well the new versions of it work on XP, Vista, and Windows 7?

I've used SnagIt 8 (and now am using SnagIt 9) on XP; it works great!

The only trouble I've ever had with capturing a scrolling window is that sometimes it will take two clicks to start the scrolling. Not sure why that is, it just happens that way sometimes.

The only other occasional problem is with PDFs, and I think that's with PDF's that have been set up to block screen captures.

Dodi Schultz
July 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Sorry for the delayed reply, Judy. A belated thank you! I've downloaded and installed Gadwin PrintScreen (that was two underscores by the Spelling Nazi; I've turned that off in Thunderbird), but I haven't had time to figure out how to use it. (As you may recall, I have to devise--or be told--step-by-baby-step instructions to do almost anything on a computer.)

--Dodi

Judy G. Russell
July 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Or: SnagIt (http://www.techsmith.com/snagit/features.asp) isn't free, but it's not terribly expensive, and you can download a trial copy. It's what we use at the office, and everyone who has tried it there doesn't know how they ever lived without it.I love Snag-It, but it's a bit much if all you ever want is to print what's on the screen.

Judy G. Russell
July 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Sorry for the delayed reply, Judy. A belated thank you! I've downloaded and installed Gadwin PrintScreen (that was two underscores by the Spelling Nazi; I've turned that off in Thunderbird), but I haven't had time to figure out how to use it. (As you may recall, I have to devise--or be told--step-by-baby-step instructions to do almost anything on a computer.)Jeff has it up and running if you need help.

Lindsey
July 20th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I love Snag-It, but it's a bit much if all you ever want is to print what's on the screen.

Possibly, but it's a great documentation tool because it lets you isolate individual windows without having to use an editor to crop stuff out. Also, you can use SnagIt's editor to put notes on or highlight areas of the screen shot that you took. There's hardly a day that goes by that I don't use it at work, and not necessarily for formal documentation, but for when I am logging a case with software support vendors. A couple of screen shots with one or two well-placed circles or arrows can save a whole lot of verbal explanation.

Judy G. Russell
July 22nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
There's hardly a day that goes by that I don't use it at workSame here. But not for plain simple screen prints.