PDA

View Full Version : Yankees make roster moves

ndebord
July 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Let's see.... Yankees get Hinske.... send down Pena. Molina comes back up and Cervelli goes down. In one short week, the Yankees become older and the kids who were a real spark of youth (and wins) are back at Scranton. Let's see, we were tied for 1st when they went down and now we're two back of the Sox again.

Posada is catching full-time now and.... surprise, surprise, the pitchers ERAs are going up.

Tonight gang old stunk it up on the west coast... two straight loses. Joba yesterday, who's not doing that well with Posada behind the plate and Petitte tonight, who looks a) old and used up or b) tired or injured arm or c) yet another pitcher who does worse with Posada behind the plate.

And Joe Girardi.... GRRRR..... he keeps on putting Bruney in in close games that then become blowouts... and not in our favor. Something is not right with Bruney and I'm tired of hearing he just needs to get straightened out. He's not right, for reasons I don't know and either Joba or Hughes needs to do that job. Right now, the way Petitte and Chamberlin have been pitching, I'd demote the pair of them. Petitte can't win at Yankee Stadium and Joba is struggling mightily. And his fastball is now 92-93 tops.

P.S. This from the Post: "Poor pitching highlighted the Yankees' loss yesterday, but the Angels were 4-for-5 in stolen bases and the one who got caught was Howie Kendrick -- on a slide past second base."

"Two Angels batters reached first after striking out on wild pitches that got by Jorge Posada. "

Judy G. Russell
July 12th, 2009, 01:11 PM
And Joe Girardi.... GRRRR.....You could have stopped right there...

ndebord
July 12th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by ndebord View Post
And Joe Girardi.... GRRRR.....

You could have stopped right there...

Judy,

I could have, but the illustration was in the writer's prose... stolen bases and passed balls (and unsaid, but understood by all who follow catchers: dumb pitch calling).... GRRRRR.

It could be so simple. Let Cervelli catch with Molina! Have Posada and Godzilla share DH. Give Posada one pitcher who can stand him???? so his ego doesn't get too bent out of shape (which is the other unsaid knock on him, that he refuses to share the job unless pushed).

Judy G. Russell
July 12th, 2009, 11:40 PM
It could be so simple.It does seem that way... which is why it's so damned baffling that Girardi seems to be so clueless.

ndebord
July 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
It does seem that way... which is why it's so damned baffling that Girardi seems to be so clueless.

Judy,

The only caveat I have about this process, is whether or not Girardi is actually calling the shots in terms of his roster. Given the history of management interference with managers in the past, you have to wonder, even if you are off base.

Anyhow, our ace is not as good as Boston's ace, so Halladay?? He's for sale. Let Joba go to Toronto along with some AAA players?

What do you think?

Judy G. Russell
July 14th, 2009, 09:11 AM
The only caveat I have about this process, is whether or not Girardi is actually calling the shots in terms of his roster. Given the history of management interference with managers in the past, you have to wonder, even if you are off base.Too true, I'm afraid, but he's the face of management so I'll keep flinging mud in his direction!

Anyhow, our ace is not as good as Boston's ace, so Halladay?? He's for sale. Let Joba go to Toronto along with some AAA players?
What do you think?I dunno. I think Joba is going to be very good, and am not sure about letting him go.

ndebord
July 14th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Too true, I'm afraid, but he's the face of management so I'll keep flinging mud in his direction!

I dunno. I think Joba is going to be very good, and am not sure about letting him go.

Judy,

He is young (9 years younger than Halladay) and he has been both frustratingly bad and tantalizingly good. But Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball right now.

Judy G. Russell
July 15th, 2009, 11:29 PM
He is young (9 years younger than Halladay) and he has been both frustratingly bad and tantalizingly good. But Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball right now.So was Randy Johnson once...

ndebord
July 16th, 2009, 08:56 AM
So was Randy Johnson once...

Judy,

Once was enough, when Johnson and Schilling combined to win enough games to beat the Yankees in the world series a few years ago, but Johnson was way past his prime by the time he got to da Bronx. Halladay is in his prime right now.

Judy G. Russell
July 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Halladay is in his prime right now.And by the time we could actually get him...?

ndebord
July 16th, 2009, 06:23 PM
And by the time we could actually get him...?

Judy,

How about today? He's available if we take Wells also and give up say Joba and Melky and a couple of minor leaguers. Expensive, but isn't that what the Yankees do best?

Judy G. Russell
July 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM
How about today? He's available if we take Wells also and give up say Joba and Melky and a couple of minor leaguers. Expensive, but isn't that what the Yankees do best?I dunno... yeah the Yanks do that sort of thing, but it usually comes back to bite them in the...

ndebord
July 19th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I dunno... yeah the Yanks do that sort of thing, but it usually comes back to bite them in the...

Judy,

With Wang on the DL and both Joba and Petitte struggling, not to forget that AJ has been less than stellar, a number one pitcher coming in would make the difference. After all, they're talking about pitching this guy from AAA who has a mediocre fastball plus some other decent offspeed pitches. Definitely a No. 5 starter.

Judy G. Russell
July 19th, 2009, 07:21 PM
With Wang on the DL and both Joba and Petitte struggling, not to forget that AJ has been less than stellar, a number one pitcher coming in would make the difference. After all, they're talking about pitching this guy from AAA who has a mediocre fastball plus some other decent offspeed pitches. Definitely a No. 5 starter.AJ's last five-six outings have been pretty darned good.

ndebord
July 19th, 2009, 10:10 PM
AJ's last five-six outings have been pretty darned good.

Judy,

AJ has been too inconsistent in my view to be a true No. 2 starter. He has struggled mightily, many pitches to get through 6 innings or so. Is he better than he was? Perhaps, but I'm not convinced.

Joba threw a great game tonight, but then he did have more than his usual days off because of the All-Star break. What with all the maneuvering between the bullpen and the rotation, his arm strength is suspect. Will have to see if he can hold up to pitching every fourth or fifth day in the dog days of summer.

Petitte is up next and he is definitely something to worry about. His recent history says he will fade, as age has caught up with him.

Sergio Mitre is up after Andy and he has a mediocre fastball and a good slider and changeup. Done great at AAA, but will he do the same in the Bigs? A 5th starter is needed. Perhaps even a 4th starter. And the tea leaves say the Yankees too can't afford Halladay, so it is what it is.

Still want to see Pena and Cervelli back up. They are pushing a young catcher like crazy, but his defense makes Posada look great (a potentially great hitter). Montero is his name and he may be a DH down the road.

Anyhow, Hughes is great in the 8th inning. Rising fastball and great results. Only knock? He needs another pitch to be a starter and he doesn't have one: perhaps a changeup that he is working on, but it ain't there yet!

Judy G. Russell
July 20th, 2009, 03:34 PM
It's gonna be interesting, for sure. At least they're keeping it close -- only one game out as of this moment.

ndebord
July 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM
It's gonna be interesting, for sure. At least they're keeping it close -- only one game out as of this moment.

Judy,

I'd sure love to eat crow on my fears about Petitte and perhaps I am after tonight's game.

Andy was more than Dandy tonight, as the Yankees beat Baltimore 2-1 and Godzilla was the key with a walkoff homer in the 9th inning. Sweet!

Judy G. Russell
July 22nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
I'd sure love to eat crow on my fears about Petitte and perhaps I am after tonight's game. Andy was more than Dandy tonight, as the Yankees beat Baltimore 2-1 and Godzilla was the key with a walkoff homer in the 9th inning. Sweet!And Boston lost. SWEETER!!

ndebord
July 23rd, 2009, 07:23 AM
And Boston lost. SWEETER!!

Judy,

There was an article comparing Nelson, Stanton and Mendoza to Hughes, Coke and Aceves the other day. The jist was that this year, the Yankees have finally found pitchers who match the original crew.

Judy G. Russell
July 23rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
There was an article comparing Nelson, Stanton and Mendoza to Hughes, Coke and Aceves the other day. The jist was that this year, the Yankees have finally found pitchers who match the original crew.Wouldn't that be nice...

ndebord
July 23rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Wouldn't that be nice...

Judy,

Whenever possible I use YouTube to find video clips of pitchers and I have been impressed by all 3. The similarities between this 3some and the old one is impressive, as is the fact that Hughes has a far better fastball than Nelson, who in effect, had his role.

Judy G. Russell
July 23rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
Whenever possible I use YouTube to find video clips of pitchers and I have been impressed by all 3. The similarities between this 3some and the old one is impressive, as is the fact that Hughes has a far better fastball than Nelson, who in effect, had his role.Hughes has just been terrific. What's his era as the setup man? Something 0.2? Terrific.

ndebord
July 24th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Hughes has just been terrific. What's his era as the setup man? Something 0.2? Terrific.

Judy,

0.2 sounds about right and as I said elsewhere, he is still working on perfecting his changeup, which would give him 4 pitches (fastball, curve, change) with an OK cutter.

Judy G. Russell
July 24th, 2009, 11:23 PM
0.2 sounds about right and as I said elsewhere, he is still working on perfecting his changeup, which would give him 4 pitches (fastball, curve, change) with an OK cutter.Gawd I am sooooooo glad that nobody bit when there was so much noise last year about trading that kid...

ndebord
July 25th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Gawd I am sooooooo glad that nobody bit when there was so much noise last year about trading that kid...

Judy,

Hughes was always No. 1 on the prospect roster and I think Cashman dug his feet into the turf over trading him... a good decision for all!

Judy G. Russell
July 25th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Hughes was always No. 1 on the prospect roster and I think Cashman dug his feet into the turf over trading him... a good decision for all!Absolutely. He's clearly the best homegrown product we've had in a while now that he's finding his niche.