PDA

View Full Version : The Classic Shutdown: It's Happened

John Francis
July 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Several Classic holdouts have told me that the old numeric IDs finally ceased working yesterday, really and truly. Call me sentimental, but I feel kind of sad about it. I've been 71600,300 for over 1/3 of my life, and could have done without having to change my name. Not to mentioning having to retire TAPCIS...

Well, at least the forums and the e-mail service still exist, so it's not as if the CompuServe era has come to an end. Though quite a few news stories about the shutdown give the false impression that it has.

heinz57g
July 9th, 2009, 06:58 AM
hoppla, didnt they say the classic numericals would remain as an alias, forever?
have i misunderstood this? hope not ... MIKE !!!

greetings - heinz -

Peter Creasey
July 9th, 2009, 08:43 AM
hoppla, didnt they say the classic numericals would remain as an alias, forever?

Heinz, John is referring to usage of classic numericals no longer being usable for access to the CIS boards. This has been the gameplan all along.

The CIS Classic numericals are still valid for email transmissions.

heinz57g
July 9th, 2009, 09:19 AM
huh, sweat receeding - had only weeks ago told lots of people our numeric addrss would stand.

john mentioned '' ... Not to mentioning having to retire TAPCIS ... '', and caused me to click.

the second para he added later, so now tks to him and peter for clarifying.

relaxed - heinz -

Mike
July 10th, 2009, 02:25 AM
And now members can log into the forums by using their Classic email addresses (but not the aliases).